Removing rear Caliper Carries damaged Bolt advice needed please!!!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by welshwizzard88, Oct 31, 2010.

1. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

Hi Guys

Just went about fitting new rear discs today all going to well with fitting races.

So just old ones to take off and followed guide on here and armed with haynes manual what could possible go wrong[:^(].

So went to remove carries and found both 8mm allen bolts to be stuck solid not to worry ithought spayed plenty of lube and got out my blow torch.

Bottom bolt still well stuck so and very akward to use extesion bar on my braker bar so a bit of thougt an i came up with a cunning plan i used the jack on breaker bar and relef the bolt gave up and un screwed.:thumbup:.

Now for top bolt same plan an the allen head gave way and typically its the akward one with strut in the way.

Now this is the drivers side and gave up after attempt with mold grips i suppect it cross threaded.

Does any one have exploded view of rear axle to help me decide what to do?

My gti is a restro project not daily driver so i have always planned to shoot blast and powerder coat sub frame, wishbones and rear axle. So am unsure weather to buy a second hand one get it done and polly bushed (when funds allow) or do i persit and try to get the d$m bolt out?

If i chistle it off what does it connect to stub axle?

I have thought aboult welding on nut but am reluctant as it is near fuel tank.

How much work is involved in dropping rear axle?

any advice is much appreciated.

2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I thought the rear discs could come off without the need to take off the carrier? Or am I thinking of MK4's?

3. welshwizzard88

The carrier sits each side of the disc Just like the front ones.

4. sean76 Forum Member

if it makes you feel any better welsh wizzard i had exactly the same problem lastweekend.if you get them out please let me know how you get the little sods out as my discs really do need doin.
    cheers sean

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

yes that the mk4 your thinking of
    this is why i went to polo hubs i got fedup changing wheel bearings just to change the disk
    i changed the allen bolts to normal bolts

the bolts are M10x1.25x20

6. MarcN Forum Member

Had a similar issue. Irwin Bolt grippers to the rescue. If you don't have a set look them up, well worth having.

7. welshwizzard88

Thats what i was expecting them to be bolts as i have just done my front ones as part of 280mm upgrade and i bought all new bolts from vw to be sure.

I just thought it looked stuppid with drilled and groved brakes up front with standard rears.

Obviously cost is king i can get rear axle for 20 ish with disc attached but i may still enconter same problem or it is 25 for stub axle on ebay.

This little job is costing me 200 and counting i should have known a 650 gti would be to good to be true even though body work is excellent.

Changing the front brakes meant i had to replace steering arms and do bearings then the bleed nipple snapped on the only original rear calipper another 55 there. if i keep this up i going to have a brand new mk2 Gti. Thinks i best alow 5000 for engine conversion at the rate of unseen problems that keep arising!!

This car is going to end up being Triggers Broom:lol:.

I havent driven it since July and has sprung major water leak sat on drive doing nothing anyway thats project cars for you keeps me out of wifes way.

8. welshwizzard88

just looked on google may work.

They are not what i thought they were as we have irwin pipe grips at work. I thought they were same thing.

Thanks Gareth

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  9. wadders

wadders Forum Member

The Irwin bolt grippers have become my favourite get-out-of-jail tool!

I had exactly the same problem, added to by some tool swapping one of the allen bolts for a torx bolt.

As it's not your daily, it would be loads easier to drop the axel, strip it and get it blasted and coated and build it back up again.

10. turbotommy Forum Member

Done this too the other week,you need an extension (3/8th's is better if your using Urwins)
    Or hammer an Allen socket/torx in the hole,then breaker bar.
    Its not your car,mk3 golfs have this probem too,its the allen head bolt [8(]

11. welshwizzard88

The statement from one of my engineering college lectures keeps come back to my mind stating that there was no way by design that an allen key bolt could round!!:lol:

He kicked me out of class for arguing with him over this some 15 years ago i think i should look him up and get him to get the damm thing out!! :lol:

12. welshwizzard88

Off to screw fix tomorrow to pick up the Irwins!!

Trouble is lack of light at night now.

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

these bolts screw into the stub axles, so very worst case can change the stubbies if the bolts are cross threaded and damaged the thread on the stubs

14. rich81 Forum Member

Those bolts are usually well seized in on mk2's and mk3's. I good pneumatic impact wrench can help crack them open. A breaker/extendable ratchet will do it, but you need to have a good 8mm hex socket bit. Cheap ones round bolts off easier where a good snap-on one often succeeds.

15. hypojam Forum Member

I drilled the top off mine

16. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

I had this too took the beam off in the end and filed down two sides of the bolt and got a spanner on it heated up the beam and sprayed antifreeze on the bolt and then sacked it with a malett not the proper way I kno but it worked a treat... I tried everything in every book beforehand lol

17. welshwizzard88

Screw fix stopped selling irwins even though they are on web site.

Machinemart have them so will nip there tomorrow.

Hope fully i will get dry weekend to do this.

If irwins fail im going to cut a wedge shape out of the old disk so i can get the disk of then i will be able to remove stub axle so i can get a replacment.

I think the hex bolt will be replaced for bolts though.

18. welshwizzard88

Horray its out!!!!!!!!!!!!:):thumbup:

I used the irwin to grip bolt and it undone extremy easily with a 2ft breaker bar!! Guess it knew it was coming out dead or alive.[xx(]

The bolt was cross threaded thats why it did not want to budge so will re tap before installing new bolts which have ordered from vw. I will also apply plenty of copper grease which there was no sign of!!

For anybody who has not seen the irwin bolt grips they are a set of five sockets that are metric/imperial that fit over the offending nut or bolt that has reverse tapping spirals that tighten to bolt as it is un screwed. The only down side is it is a git to remove from nut i had to use a punch to get it free from old bolt!!

Anyway jobs a good un got other side to do this weekend think i will just use the irwin instead of faffing around with old bolts and hex key socket. Car looks complete with cross drilled and groved disc front and rear.

On another note anyone installing new bearings with disks as i have done a 36mm socket is perfeect for driving in inner bearing race and 30mm socket works for outter race.

Thanks guys for all the input it has been greatly appreciated and probably saved me heaps off time.:thumbup:

19. sean76 Forum Member

glad you got it sorted mate,looks like ill be off to machine mart for some these bolt grip jobbies to get mine sorted:thumbup:

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

they seem expensive but they really are a top quality tool and you can tell just by picking one up its made of good stuff