Removing rear Caliper Carries damaged Bolt advice needed please!!!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by welshwizzard88, Oct 31, 2010.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I love my irwin bolt grippers, if its a vag allen headed bolt I just instantly grab the irwins.

2. sean76 Forum Member

i found a set of ten on the bay lastnite for 34 quid dont know if thats cheap or expensive but if they are as good as everybody says i dont mind payin over the odds

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

you normally pay that for the five set so its a great deal

4. sean76 Forum Member

great,its not normaly my luck to get a good deal on anythin ha ha:thumbup:

5. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

I paid 23 for 5 in a hard case but there is room for an extra five larger ones they were an extra 18 at Machinemart. I will get them at some point but fron experience it always seem s to be smaller bolts that roung off. I may regreat saying that as there are lots off 17mm and 19mm on mk2.

I think one of these irwins would have been the answer to richard mk2 wishbone thread had he have droped the sub frame.

Anyway hope all goes well with yours Sean.

I am off to do the other side should be easier as i am pushing down to unscrew on that side but i am just going to use irwin now i have them and have new bolts i picked up this morning!!

6. sean76 Forum Member

hope all goes well.mine arrived at me mothers this mornin but cant get em coz of the other issues im havin at the mo but shall tackle them next week hopefully

7. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

Got the other side done today had exactly same problem with the lower hex bolt but irwin to rescue. They did not grip as well at first had to hammer it on using extension bar.

I retaped the threads on each carrier for good measure amazing how much derbies came out and used loads of copper grease on new bolts .

The pagid break pads had 3M pices of paper on them with some sort of grease on them was unsure wether i needed to copper grease them?