*Resto project!* (well..... re-spray)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RicRhind, Jul 19, 2005.

1. RicRhind Forum Member

What started out as just "sortin' out a few probs'" has turned into a full on respray! I'm going to do it all myself so i thought i'd keep you guys posted on how things work out.
    When i got the car there was a small dent on the front wing, a big one on the rear quarter and the passenger door handle was buggerer where some pikey tried to get in [:x] Sorted the wing and handle out, havin more trouble with the rear quarter gettin it true. I then took of the plastic arches to find the rear arch had serious rust. All been cut out and welded up, just needs finishing off. Here is how its lookin. Bear in mind this is my only car which has to be ready for use every morning to get to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opinions and advice please!!?!?! :) :)
    Edited by: RicRhind

2. gti8v Forum Member

you might want to find a better paint match mate ;)

other than that looks good :p

3. RicRhind Forum Member

Bugger! i knew i was going wrong somewhere! but i'm thinking it looks pretty cool as a ratter! [:D]

4. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Yeah was gonna say you got the rat goin on good there - keep us posted.

5. RicRhind Forum Member

Done a bit more today! cut out some rust on the front arches and welded in new metal. finished flating a few dents. Filler pirmed the front wing and door lower section. still working on the rear quarter lower half! [:x] [:x] and started work on the rust on the deck lid. It had been done before, but only filled, so cut out all rust and old filler and welded in new metal! whilst there smoothed out badges and boot lock, as there is a remote boot pop already fitted. Not sure whether this is the things to be done on a mk1, or should it be saved for the nova bad boys?! but o well its been done now. Post some more pics up in the next day or two.:) :)

6. ManicGTI Forum Member

I like:clap:[:D][:D][:D]

whip off those bumpers and paint front panel black!!

(One day someone will actually do it.....)

7. cool car !

8. RicRhind Forum Member

Here is a few more pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not quite its current state.... that whole side is in primer now. started work on the other side and bonnet, few little bits of rust need cutting out and sortin. im considering flushing the skuttle on the bonnet, what you think?

Manic, can you post up a bigger picture of your car? it looks proper sweet.. and im likin the front panel!

9. ManicGTI Forum Member

oh go on then ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It no longer mine though...smacked a doggy @ 80 and have sold it since....now a have another Red mk1, std so far...boring!:lol:

Good work on the cabbie, love the pic of it in yr sig:clap:

10. RicRhind Forum Member

looks f**kin class dude!

Really tempted to take the bumpers off, cos IMO i think mk1's look wicked at the front with no bumpers, but my cabby looks crap at the rear without one.

11. RicRhind Forum Member

Once again, not quite current state but here is a pic from a couple of days ago

[​IMG]

Since then, continued work on drivers side; finished rear arch and a few dents. Preped and primed bonnet. Almost finished tailgate. An took the liberty of smooting the seams between the rear arches and rear panel (not seen in pic).

12. thebluebus Forum Junkie

looks cool :thumbup:

13. theboymike Forum Junkie

Smoothtastic [:D]

Should look tidy when it's all the same colour - are you keeping the chrome side strips? I think black would look tidy ;)

14. RicRhind Forum Member

f**k f**k f**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now ive done it twice!!!
    Just written out 2 massive reports on progess, then went and press the f**kin good dam back button on my poxy mouse!!! thus looseing it all! [:x] [:x] [:x]

So plenty of elbow grease and too much amber necter friday night work comes to an end!

here is some pics...
    [​IMG]drivers side: continued work!
    [​IMG]passenger side:almost done, stone chipped sil!
    [​IMG]tailgate: continued work, fatherless child thing!!!
    [​IMG]smoothed seams!
    [​IMG]bonnet:finished (i think!) front panel:continued work!

[​IMG]just a rude pic!!!

[​IMG] a cheeky one of me!!! and my bloody car!!!! (excuse the hair! :lol: )

15. nwmlarge Forum Member

coming on looks like hard work but wil be worth it

16. j4ck Forum Member

looks like good work m8, hope you get some more pics up.
    i am in the middle or touching up the paintwork on my mk1, but i av to do it whilst its parked on the pavement, lol and when we get a bit more better weather.
    ;)

17. RicRhind Forum Member

15:15 saturday! every get the feeling you wish you hadn't started something?!*sigh*

18. Chris H Forum Junkie

Respect due for doing all that a) yourself and b) to your daily. :clap:

19. mark Forum Member

and you drive it to work every morning? :o :clap:

20. RicRhind Forum Member

A revelation accrued this weekend!!
    After numerous arguments with my girlfriend about me apparently loving my car more than her, blar blar, I managed some how, to convince her to help me out for an hour or so. Obviously she didnt realise how difficult it is and she now has a new found admiration for what im doing! :) :)

OK got the front panel, one wing and bonnet in top coat!