Restoring black trim...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by veedubnutz, May 9, 2006.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

mate the side strips pop off in 2 sceconds...best way to treat those

any other bits use masking tape if your a bit shakey

after its dried it doesnt come off at all....i washed mine next day and nothing, like it says its permanent dye

best way for bumpers i found was to empty the stuff into a tub and use a small sponge ...goes on nice n thick and more even

2. ChrisUK Forum Member

OK I can confirm that you shoud NOT use the Kiwi "superior shine wax-finish polish"

I put it on, left it to dry, went to buff and it was like rubbery crap and just came off

So i had to wash my spoiler repeatedly and give some real elbow grease to get it all off!!

Think that dye stuff seems a good bet!

Got any pics of the results?

Ive got some white spots on the plastic bit on my bumper...how can i get rid of those? Just loads of black dye?

Cant understand why my CL had a fully colour coded bumper and the GTI doesnt!

3. muppet9966 Forum Member

My CL doesnt have colour coded bumpers, :( although I think it was for the best.:p
    The best method I found of getting my bumpers back to black was to go to euro car parts and pick up a set of small bumpers. They worked a treat.:lol: :lol: :lol: Highly recommended!!! :thumbup:

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

How can you say it doesn't work, when there's several people that use the exact same stuff on here (who recomended it to me), with impeccable results - i don't have the stuff to hand to check the label, but it certainly doesn't leave waxy residue everywhere - you can see my car in the above pic to clarify! Were your bumpers clean before you did it?

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

kiwi shoe dye has always worked for me on average faded bumpers, my rear one was extra bad and kiwi wouldnt do it..thats where the forever black comes in

before...with just gel on that corner
    [​IMG]

after with foreverblack and megs gel

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  6. ChrisUK Forum Member

funkbaron, i'm trying to say that I made a mistake and used the WRONG stuff, see earlier in the thread where i said "i think its the same but the writing on the bottle in different"....turns out its different for a reason cos it's different stuff. I'm the numpty here :p

7. ChrisUK Forum Member

Pigbladder those resutls are class!! What megs stuff did you use? Think I best be ordering some :lol:

whats good stuff for tyres?

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

in the pic that has megs endarnce tyre gel on tyres and bumpers...megs#38 is better for trim as its not as glossy or sticky

you can get endurance at halfords or most motorist shops...or megs#38 on ebay sometimes

9. Dono Forum Member

used the heat gun....... and melted my finger, i did it on the boot handle strip thingie, dint do out, so used shoes blackin again, where is that "megs" from and how much?

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I used a blowtorch, the bumper restorer and some leather dye on mine - gave them a good scrub first. Blowtorch worked well but you need to be careful of course. Bumper restorer (cheap brand, can't remember what) lasted about 2 weeks. Proper leather dye is still jet black, and the bumper has been in the garden for about 2 years now. You buy it in wee 150ml bottles, my old man used to use it to restore antique leather-bound law books. Just wipe it on and leave it, it will not come off no matter what.
    Probably cost a fortune, but seeing as he's croaked he won't mind...... if anyone would like to dye their bumpers dark maroon or navy blue, I still have those bottles, lol.......

11. funkbaron Forum Junkie

:lol:
    You can't beat the kiwi shoe dye (polish as it says on the squeesy bottle). Best tip i've had on here I reckon.

12. beezy16v Forum Member

Don't use meguires back to black stuff - is rubbish an initial nice finish, one downpour and the greasy ****e is trickling down your paintwork. It also goes patchy after a while.

13. birchie90 Forum Member

How right you are this stuff is complete pish - I will have a go over the weekend with that Kiwi stuff - infact I am going to get some right this minute

14. DubTurismo New Member

has anyone else tried actually painting their bumpers, with my old golf i bought a couple of rattle cans of bumper black paint from halfrauds, took all the trim off, sanded and gave a good couple of coats, was still black as the day i done it the day i sold it. just aother option...

15. birchie90 Forum Member

Right this is begining to bug me I cannot find this Kiwi stuff anywhere - they do not even have it on their own web site, where are you people getting this stuff from - all I can find in that container is Instant wax shine and I guess this is not the same stuff?

16. Monkeynutz Forum Member

i just use carplan black trim polish (i think thats what its called) plastic goes black, has a nice sheen and lasts well, ill have to give that heat gun thing a whirl tho

17. Gorgeous George

Gorgeous George Forum Member

I've just purchased some trim restorer from a company that claims the stuff has a black pigment in the liquid and once applied properly, it shouldn't need doing again for 18 months !!!!!! It's cost me 15 per bottle, online orders only, I'm waiting for it to arrive and I'll let you know what it's like - sombody else may have already posted about this product but I thought I'd mention it.

I told them that I'd spread the word on the clubgti forum and my local vw dealings if they're product was up to scratch and they were keen for me to try it and then spread the word, so it must be quite good.

Their site is www.liquidtec.co.uk

18. Satanstoenail New Member

Yeah I'm curious about this Kiwi stuff as well, after reading this thread a couple of weeks ago I went hunting for Kiwi Express shoe polish and could only find this stuff:

[​IMG]

It seems to work well but it's really hard to apply, the sponge doesn't work well on large flat areas, and it takes ages to go on. I can't find a black bottle version of the Express stuff anywhere, not even on the net. Funkbaron, can you please clarify exactly which stuff you're using?

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

i can no longer find the kiwi shoe dye ...other brands have names such as scuff cover ect suggesting it should be the same

i used forever black on mine

20. Dono Forum Member

i used MORRISONS brand of SCUFF REMOVER. utter crap!!!!! it went on great when was wet - but as it dried, it left "brush marks" and also didn't stick to all of the plastic so was also patchy, several coats, and it looked rather good.

had a spate of bad weather, an it now has water droplets in it. also it scratches off, so my bumper looks much like a kids wax crayon picture!!! so I am now going to have to rub the whole lot off with petrol and find some thing else.

so cross morrisons brand off the list people.