Restoring black trim...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by veedubnutz, May 9, 2006.

1. Switch625 Forum Member

I have some linseed oil kicking about (which I actually bought for my guitar neck) - how do you put it on the trim, just dab some on a cloth and wipe over?

2. Jaydee Forum Member

Yep, just use a lint free cloth. You don't wanna be picking strands of cloth out.

Its not perfect, but for 2 quid and 30 minutes of time, well worth it.

3. GOODVIBRATIONS

GOODVIBRATIONS Forum Member

coolio see u then .

4. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Linseed

Wow....Applied the Linseed to a small amount of trim and....what a difference!!!

Will try and post a couple of pics to show how good....lets hope it lasts the jet wash test!!!

5. nickmk2 New Member

smooth peanut butter works a treat

my mk2 was looking tired and grey. try most things to bring the trim back to black.

had an idea about peanut butter, the high fat content works wonders.

paste it on with a cloth and rub in until it disappears. i washed the car after and what do you know back to black. 5 washes later and as strong as ever.

regards nick

6. golfpaul Forum Member

How did the peanut-butter idea come to you, a vivid dream huh? :lol:

Linseed oil's the way forward - Mine were grey to start with and looked nice 'n' black after i'd done it.

' do not use cotton as may spontaneously combust ', said the warning on the bottle.

Sweet - :thumbup:

7. nickmk2 New Member

super smooth peanut butter

not sure really. i think it was at work. i'm a chef don't use peanut butter much at work really. i realised one day when cleaning my knives that the old plastic handle ones looked like new after they had been using them to slice up some pork belly. got to thinking about the fat from the pork. on my next day off i tried it out with a little olive oil on some old trim. it worked but i didn't want to use olive oil, peanut are high in fat, had half a jar gave it a try and it worked better than the olive oil and the rest is history.
    regards nick:p :p

8. golfpaul Forum Member

...and smelt wonderful..!

9. nickmk2 New Member

super smooth peanut butter

the car was washed after i finished the trim.
    it's all good

nick:p

10. wcrado Forum Member

i've got some carplan black trim wax that i'm going to be using. Its a black liquid dye, i guess similar to that liquitech stuff that was being bigged up a while back.

I had been using Wurth plastic dye, which was good, but very very messy. You had to apply this black cream stuff with a damp cloth, and it went on almost like paint. Seemed to work, but lasted about 2/3 months, and is very expensive.

Carplan stuff was about 5, so will see how that works, but i reckon the morrisons stuff looks like the way forward! maybe then with a top coat of linseed oil!

11. golfpaul Forum Member

linseed all the way...
    :lol:

12. E700 Forum Member

linseed worked for me

13. wcrado Forum Member

righto, i binned the carplan stuff as it looked hanging, and was basically watered down paint. Gave the linseed oil a go.........

WOW! That stuff is awesome!

Goes on well easy- although it's a bit sticky, so you have to find a suitable applicator. every cloth i tried ended up leaving minute little strands on the trim, which were a b*tch to get off! i ended up using one of those kitchen-scouring pads, you know, the green ones with a rough side and a sponge side? Basically apllied the linseed with the rough side, then gave it a wipe over with the sponge side!

Results are amazing. Looks way better than any back-to-black gels or sprays i've used. Better finish than AG bumper care by miles! it then kind of 'dries' on a little bit, and repells water awesomely. Survived two car washes now, and hasn't even slightly faded! Leaves a nice finish too- not overly gloss and not totally matt- a satin finish, if you like.

It's all i'm going to use now!

2 downsides though

1) it smells hanging
    2) i got a bit on my paint, and it's dried crusty on there! will have to go over it with a polish to get it off. Mind your paint!!

14. t'mill Forum Member

Yup. Using Linseed oil myself now and it is good tackle. I firstly prepped the bumpers and trim with that forever black stuff recommended on here, then 'sealed' it with Linseed oil. My rear bumper was always rather grey compared to the front and now it looks fab and matches the rest of the plastic trim a treat. I have hot jetwashed the bumpers 3 times now and they still look good. Well worth giving this a try especially as the oil cost me 2.99 for a 500ml bottle at Homebase.

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

just plain linseed oil yeah? might have to get some

16. t'mill Forum Member

Yep, just plain Linseed oil. Mine says raw linseed oil on the bottle. They did have boiled linseed oil (whatever that is) along side the raw version. Both looked the same and i didn't fancy asking which would work the best on plastic car bumpers, so bought the raw stuff. Works fine. It doesn't half repel the water when jet washing!

17. Phil. Forum Junkie

Just bought some new G60 arches and they will need a treatment to match the 'blackness' of my 18yr old trim! :lol:

18. David Number 2 Forum Member

ive always used kiwi and recommended by the baron of funk.

19. FEN

fen Forum Member

hey guys got myself some linseed oil the boiled kind ;) was WELL suprised by the resutls was rediculous slapped that stuff on didnt fade a bit even after i scrubbed the excess off usin the hose all the water just beads fantastic stuff tiny bit did most of my car did half and was ****ed off cuz the stuff stinks ill get some pictures of the diffrence in a bit just gunna go out and do it now one thing i will say about it you CANNOT get the stuff off your hands just gettin some pictures [8D]

20. FEN

fen Forum Member

not brilliant pictures tbh but give you a bit of an idea of what its like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the white line along the plastic on the bumper isnt anyfin to do with the linseed oil just a bit of overspray i need to get rid of but couldnt be bothered at the time lol hope this helps anyone that was skeptical about using this stuff