Restoring black trim...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by veedubnutz, May 9, 2006.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

B&Q...Around 3 a bottle. Buy the Boiled Linseed oil (Dont bother with the raw stuff) it's chemical properties are more in line with what you want to bond to your plastics.

2. gazzza New Member

try baby oil .dont rub it on your girlfriend rub it on your bumpers really works.

3. perryqhill Forum Member

Got some linseed on the 'new' back bumper I've got as it's really faded - it shines like made, but it's still not black.

Wonder if some trim dye might to the trick?

4. jono395 Forum Member

BOILED LINSEED OIL WORKS A TREAT!!!!..... fair enuff, my bumpers arent completely black, but for 3 a bottle.. you cant complain:lol:

i got mine from focus:p

5. perryqhill Forum Member

Trim dye did do the trick on the 'new' back bumper, but didn't give a quality finish.

However a couple of washes and then coated with linseed oil and my god it looks awesome.

Done the rest of the trim with the linseed and I almost drew a crowd (well two or three lads who live round here and I'd told them it was supposed to be good).

Some of my trim is quite faded, but tends to look just 'ok' when I apply 'back to black' type products. However the linseed was applied quite easily - I didn't even bother going over a few times and rubbing it into the trim and it shines like mad. I pulled up next to a local shop a bit later and another mate asked me if I'd just painted the front bumper or something :lol:

Gives a better finish than baby oil and due to it's original purpose it should last a lot longer :clap:

6. Dicky Retardo Forum Member

this dude did mine!

[​IMG]

7. TATS New Member

Have got loads of white polish marks over my tailgate decal and side strips.

Whats the best way to remove it, it just looks nasty[:^(]

many thanks

TATS

8. yetizone New Member

Trim detailing!

Hi all, Ive just done a bit of experimenting with trim cleaners and finishes on my eleven year old MK 3 GTi trim

Peanut Butter: Takes a bit of working into the trim and must be buffed off to get a decent finish. It works though! Longevity is a big question mark as its just been applied. I guess pure peanut or nut oil would work as well and be easier to apply!

Linseed Oil (boiled): Easier to apply than Peanut Butter but again, to get rid of all of the white marks, water spots, polish marks etc, It does requires some working into the trim. The excess must be wiped off with a micorfibre cloth so that a high tack sticky gloss finish is avoided. Initial impressions are VERY GOOD with a deep black sheen achieved..! If it has longevity in bad weather then its a no brainer due to cost.

Black Wow: Very easy to put on and work into the trim. Smells nice and the just applied results are nothing short of superb. Quite simply the best of the bunch for that back to black showroom look. Ive been using this for a few weeks and although very good at first the rain does wash it off and cause streaking on the paintwork, even when I polish off the excess with a microfibre cloth. Frustrating as it looks stunning on first application and it is expensive at 18 a bottle.

Autoglym: Very good and quite long lasting but it always seemed to retain a stickiness and attracted dust and grime. Always looked pretty good but never went deep deep black. Been using this stuff for nigh on 15 years esp in winter.

Turtle Wax Nano-Tech Cockpit & Bumper Clean & Shine: Firstly, what a ridiculous name!!! This stuff is pretty good, Ive been using this a while and it even replaced Autoglym Bumper Gel as it was much easier to apply and did not leave the bumpers tacky. Lasts quite well too, although not quite as robust as the Autoglym in bad weather.

So all in all I like Black Wow as the best overall finish, (if only it lasted that bit longer), followed very closely by Linseed Oil. I have tried other stuff over the years but I always seem to come back to TurltWax and Autoglym.

Who would have thought - peanut butter..! :lol:

YZ

9. brightonmunich New Member

Just done mine with Lindseed oil - non boiled.
    (Looks like boiled is better)
    Fantastic result.
    Will be interseting to see if it withstands a jet wash.
    Think I put mine on a bit too thick in places - a bit on the sticky side.
    So for others that do it even if the bumper is very faded just use a little.

But a great result :)

MK3 8v - Works on the hatch spoiler too.

10. jimbo_88 Forum Member

i like the mer bumper restorer. always brought the trim up on my polo i had, my scirocco and my mates rado.

it good stuff!!

11. Daniel-1986 Forum Member

i used matt black paint, i used to use black trim wax

12. deepdishtj Forum Member

i wonder what the 1st person to try peanut butter to clean there car was like mentaly [:s]

13. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Unstable?

Did the linseed oil and it did work, but seemed to go flaky over time so now done it with boot polish and achieved the best result yet. Its only been 24hrs though so time will tell...

14. ev nutter Forum Member

Black polish or clear boot polish id agree with though it is the same

15. TheoG60 Forum Member

Was a bit unsure about the heat gun, as too much in one spot could ruin the bumper, depends on how careful or steady your hand is i guess!
    Just gave the Kiwi 'sponge bottle' shoe polish a go, after two coats the trim looks like new! Thoroughly recommend it, cheap as chips too!

16. Azorenblau Forum Member

Peanut butter sounds just the ticket. The only thing that bothers me are the TEETH MARKS on the bumper! People just try anything in these credit-crunchy days.[:[]

17. shakey New Member

couldnt be bothered to read through, but recently ive been using vegetable oil - applied by scrunched up kitchen roll liberously and left to soak in for half hour, then buffed off with a towel

18. hodjy New Member

a mixture of 50% linseed oil and 50% thinner .... wipe on .. let sit for 2 or 6 beers ... wipe off excess... if you make a mess , clean with a bit of thinner .... hands down best way to restore any black plastic .

19. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

The best stuff out there. I always use this, brings up the bumpers/plastics better then anything else, and the tyres...:thumbup:

20. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I'm looking to restore my mk1 bumpers this coming week....

It seems as if boiled linseed oil is the best option

What is the procedure for applying?

Or should I just rub them down and get them painted??

Will it work on arch trims?

What is the best method of cleaning them prior?