S3 1.8t 20v Q's

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Fenn, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Fenn Forum Member

ok, i have a few question regarding a S3 engine im planing on installing in my mk2.

i'm new to turbo engines so bear with me.

wastgates. i assume it's the round thing on the turbo with an adjustable treaded bar coming out of it. what do they do, how do they work and will it need adjusting?

in car adjusatble boost systems. are they worth getting? whats the best ones to use and whats needed to get it working.

Boost guages. how much boost will a S3 engine produce? i what to get one, but want one that reads higher than the engines max boost. also whats involved/parts needed to get one working.

Thanks Rob:)

2. Seraph Banned

Theres no need to get involved(really) with manually adjusting the wastegate, they're controlled electronically anyway.
    Adjustable boost is only worth getting if you feel the need to adjust it! Your more likely to have a use for swapping between remap programs, than purely boost alone, and something like Revo has provision for this.
    As for guages, have a look here for info/ideas:click

3. Fenn Forum Member

how is the wastgate controlled electronically?

and do you know if a 15psi boost guage will be high enough?

4. Seraph Banned

well, im talkin porkies abit here.!

the process im talking about is concerned with the n75 valve, which actually controls charge pressure - so it is actually slightly different.
    Afaic, adjustment on w/g's is not something for the layperson.

5. e12_mat Forum Member

Dont get an adjustable boost gauge its to tempting to just turn the boost up slightly this is bad because if your injectors run out of duty cycle then the engine will run very lean and thats very bad or if your turbo starts over blowing i.e. it moves out of its performance envelope it will start producing huge amounts of heat which will ultimate causing knocking and lead to broken engine.

the n75 that seraph is refering is basically an elecronic valve that has a feed from the pressure side and by opening and closing at different rates it controls the actuator which diverts exhuast gas away from the turbo therefore controling boost pressure. this is how the ecu controls the boost pressure.

Are you using the origional ecu?

6. Dub20vt Forum Member

boost gauge depends what sort of power you intend to run.

if you're having it re-mapped then it won't be enough... think revo runs somewhere around 1.2bar of boost.

on my own TT engine i run 1.5bar (22psi) sustained.

your wastegate shouldn't need touching, as seraph says 20vs have an electronic controlled turbo so the boost map can be programmed in. (depending what ECU you intend to run).

7. Fenn Forum Member

thanks for that!

i'm leaning towards using Qpeng ATM purely for the fact that it should be the least amount of hassle and i could do it myself. i assume there MBE management caters for the N75 valve?

8. vwd40 Forum Member

Watch the QPENG maps mate. Mine was bloody aweful. Flat as a fart and pinking it's bollox off and therefore very dangerous. Ended up remapping it myself in the end.

9. Fenn Forum Member

what engine were you using? i have heard nothing but good things about the P+P kits.

10. vwd40 Forum Member

AUG. QPENG are interested in having a copy of the map off me.

11. Seraph Banned

im not sure one bad faulty remap renders the company incompetent, they seem to have pretty good press.

Why didnt you do your own car initially? Are you using theyre CAN interface box?

12. vwd40 Forum Member

You seem to have missunderstood me. I didn't say the company was incompetent. The loom etc and service I received was excellent. Very friendly & helpful guys. It's just the map that was the problem and it wasn't a bad one as I have tried to upload again with the same results.

Yes I have the can box. The main reason I did my own map is that whoever did the map for them is clearly used to N/A cars as this map is done in a really wierd way with compensation factor maps overlaid.

13. Seraph Banned

you're right, 'incompetent' was a poorly chosen word.

My point being tho, that it would be regretful to render a product or company, below standard on the basis of just one 'bad' instance.

14. vwd40 Forum Member

I didn't. All I said was be very carful of the maps.
    Many people are blowing 20v Turbo's up, mostly seems to be because of lack of mechanical knowledge - like not knowing what pinking is and still driving it. 20v Turbo's are bloody good engines after all.

15. Seraph Banned

Nobody saying you did.
    All there is, is the 'implication' that slating a product or company is unwise.

Unfourtunately, many people reading 'be careful of qpeng maps', may do no more than to avoid them in totality - which would be inappropriate.

16. vwd40 Forum Member

Bloody hell........I TAKE IT ALL BACK THEN.

Please ignore my comments on the QPENG map as I clearly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

QPENG is run by a nice pair of chaps who offer excellent service and quality kit, buy off them with confidence as they are experts in the Mk2 20v Turbo field.

I really wouldn't want to imply the wrong thing.

17. Seraph Banned

Dude, no one wants you to regret your words!

Its just best the clarify the division between fact and opinion somtimes.

Anyway, this is all rather getting OFF (rob's) topic, which concerned w/g's and guages.

18. Fenn Forum Member

don't worry about going off topic! it's good to hear peoples experiences.

i think im pretty much there with the first Q's.

don't need to mess with the waste gate. although i'm not 100% on what it does?
    no need for adjustable boost control and get a gauge that goes up to 25psi.

sorted, well will be as soon as i can work out which managment to use.

19. Fenn Forum Member

been looking in to exhaust systems and would like to know. what the best solution is.

i have a remus 2.25" 3 box 16v system that i have the feeling is going to be to restrictive for the power that the S3 engines going to be pumping out. ideally i would like to keep the backbox and replace the rest of the system with 2.5" from the down pipe back and possibly have a silencer in there as well. would this work?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  20. Dub20vt Forum Member

you'd be surprised what a decent 16v system can flow.

my old oak green 20v ran an adapted front pipe (2.5" bore), then the rest of the system was 2.25" bore mongoose stainless... the car ran 275bhp at the wheels.