Sad R32 drving b*stards

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Atlas 12v, Feb 26, 2004.

1. vrooooom Forum Member

The mk4 speeds read under. Mines out by 5mph when compared to the gps speed from my road angel.

Mind u how many of us could aford to insure the R32 in the first place??? That's why it's all old people driving them!!!! Perhaps they get dizzy if they go too fast [:D]

Anyone hear of that woman who got 6 points for doing 20mph on a dual carridgeway! [:D] [:D]

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Mid life crisis!

3. Markus 1us Forum Member

It can be frustrating Atlas, but I'm sure we have all p***** off people by our driving. If you've got any sort of performance and handling, the the speed limit does feel slow, even on the motorway. My standard mk1 gti doing 40 in 5th gear feels like you could get out and run faster! My advice is this (even though you didn't ask for it!), get on a bicycle for a week coz this give you a much better appreciation of having a car. If you have to cycle 10 miles to see a mate for a week, you wouldn't mind being in a car doing 30mph. Unless of course, you are a tour de france winner, and you're not telling us!!

4. Rob.gti Forum Member

I aint OLD!!! (not exactly young either though!!)

5. superden Forum Addict

I have to say I agree with that. I didnt drive to work for a few days and got lifts/walked instead and it was quite ... liberating, in a way. Not that I would give up my valver but it makes you think how crazy it is that people are always in such a b*stard rush to get somewhere.

As for driving I have to say I dont mind driving under the speed limit a bit but it f*cks me off when people just dawdle along at 20mph in a 30mph zone for example. I had this today, guy in a Honda doing 35mph in a 50mph zone with a good long queue forming behind him.
    Edited by: superden

6. Dave J Forum Member

My mate got caught speeding on Sunday in his R32. 67 in a 40 on a dual carriageway in Plymouth. Could have been worse, he had been going faster earlier. Perhaps they are driving slowly to save fuel. Have you seen the fuel ecomomy on one [:s]

7. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Hmmm - I'm 28 and plan to have one in the next week or so. Am I old then?
    Test drove the one I took out quite slowly as I didn't want to crash!

8. Golfgirl Forum Member

I must be getting old too cos I might be getting one and I'm 25 [:s]

9. Dinibird New Member

After writing off my Pug 205 GTI 1.9 in 2000, doing about 45-50 mph in a 30 zone I always do 30 mph in 30 zones. It's just not worth it. It was the first accident I'd had, and it felt like it took ages to stop (not that I did mind, I hit a dozy cow coming out of a parallel parking space, who decided to freeze in the middle of the road when she realised I was coming down a STRAIGHT road!). Anyway, that woke me up pretty sharpish. The 30 zones are where the cops mainly try to catch motorists, so you'll avoid that, along with points on your licence, which none of us need with insurance these days. Plus, when tempted, I always say to myself that it could have been a kid that stepped out into the road. That really checks your speed. The people that annoy me are the ones that get angry with me doing 30, and tailgate, but when I put my foot down in a 60 zone to make the most of the opportunity, they are quite happy at 40!!! They're the types that do 40 in a 60 zone, then when it converts to 30 zone, are still doing 40!!! I know it's painful doing 30 in 30's but after a while you do get used to it. However, I've just started sharing my hubbies Mk3 GTI and it is much harder to keep to 30 - the car is just not happy in 4th at that speed, and I don't like to keep it in 3rd. Anyway, there is my tale.....don't do the same I did - the cow lied in her statement to say she was reverse parking when I hit her so it ended up 50/50 as I didn't get any witnesses as although I knew they'd be able to say she was coming out, I know they would also say I was speeding. Bingo, 2 years off my NCB!! And so the car I got as a replacement, my (now stolen) Mk1 Cab Sportline, was tons more expensive to insure.....Save your driving for the 60 limits, much more fun and less risk to others.....

10. HiAsAKite Forum Member

Perhaps he was running it in?

11. Atlas 12v Forum Member

12. Atlas 12v Forum Member

Seriously I was merely pointing out he was driving slow.
    You don't need to tell to get on a bike...
    I used to ride a bike all the time???

13. daveblackeye New Member

I can understand it. Modern cars, especially the top of the range sporty ones, seem to be designed to go as fast as possible with no fuss and no noise. That means they can be very boring. For my MkIV to be "fun" it has to be going much, much faster than my MkII would.

The R32 must be the worst of the lot - if the circumstances don't allow you to drive it properly, then relax and save some petrol!

BTW, Dinibird - do you live in Somerset? When I moved to Somerset I thought there was only one speed limit. They do 40 everywhere, 30 zones, 70 zones...
    Edited by: daveblackeye

14. vrooooom Forum Member

Got to admit the mk4s are weird, there's not much noise when u go fast and the impression u get between 40mph to 70mph isn't much.
    Winding the windows down helps a bit by adding loads of wind noise, plus u can hear the turbo whistling! [:D]

As for driving slowly to bed em in, nah, get on the motorway for a few hours and do a steady 65 -70. The constant speed works wonders.

15. Rob.gti Forum Member

Isnt much noise?!?!?! Get and drive an R32 - thats proper noise [8D] :lol:

16. Mikedav Forum Member

I was gonna say that, there isn't much noise because you bought the wrong bloody engine

;)

As for all R32s being driven by oldies because of insurance, check out the MKIV forum - not the case. I just got a quote on one out of interest actually, 21, 4yrs NCB, 1105 FC - some of you pay more than that anyway.

17. Dinibird New Member

daveblackeye - No, lovely Hertfordshire, but I do remember holidays in Somerset and Devon as a child, noticing how much slower people drove. Slower pace of life I suppose. Round London people are always in a rush.

18. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Depost just placed on a black 3 door with leather.
    I THINK it's a good idea!
    VERY excited - Delivered next week.

19. Nutty Forum Member

My insurance costs me 730ish a year, with a couple of named drivers on the policy to, i'm er *cough* 34 *cough*

Nicky

20. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

About 750 for me.
    28, IAM driver, 5 years NCB, wife 25 named driver, clean license (for how long?!!).