Scirocco...?

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by maxVeins, Jan 15, 2007.

1. maxVeins Forum Member

Peoples opinions on Scirocco's please...

I've got a MK3 gti at the minute, but I fancy something a little different, I've had a mk1 golf, and a corrado, so I though if I combined the two I'd end up with a Scirocco...!

Whats the general concensus though...

Here's the one I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270079110258&fromMakeTrack=true#ebayphotohosting

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The mk3 is annoying the hell out of me at the minute with some ridiculous sounds coming form the engine bay.... could be the gear box, might be an engine mount, no-one seems to know...!!! ARGH!

Cheers

Max

2. nealey Forum Junkie

wouldnt bother with that one, you can pick up really tidy ones for 500

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Scirroco's are ok, but haven't held their value over the years as well as some of the other VAG cars.

4. maxVeins Forum Member

hmmm, well its either a scirocco or a mk2 gti...

oh decisions decisions...

5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

If I were in your shoes I would go for the mk2 Golf GTI. More likely to retain its value should you decide to sell it on.

6. maxVeins Forum Member

fair one, anyone got one for sale...?!

7. paul_c Forum Member

The only real advantage of the coup version over a hatchback one, is the looks. Unfortunately, the Mk2 Scirocco was designed in-house, rather than Giorgetto Giugiaro, so it somewhat misses the mark, based on looks. Now, if you were seeking a Mk1 Scirocco, that's a different matter.....very pretty car, very rare, bit fragile (prone to/likely to have suffered from corrosion at this age).

8. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Main advantage of the forgotten scirroco 2 is that you can pick them up so cheaply, compared to a mk1/mk2 golf.(its based on a mk1 by the way). What you want is a tidy 86-87 GTX - this is the pick of all the models and was more expensive than the golf 2 16v at the time.

Dan

9. stew72 Forum Member

Go for it :thumbup:

As said late GTX models with the colour coded body kit are best value for money, I paid 400 for this five years ago and prices haven't really changed since then.

[​IMG]

More resistant to rust than a mk1 Golf, lighter more nimble and dare I say better looking than a mk2 Golf and their values can only really rise.

The only downside is lack of rear seat head and legroom. If you're planning on putting kids in the back you'll need to bare in mind it'll either have inertia reel lap belts or static 3 point ones.

10. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Go for it.
    Mk1 chassis but lots cheaper and better aerodynamics.
    They're not going to devalue any more.

If people think paying 5 times asmuch for same engine, chassis and running gear in a mk1 golf is smart it's their loss.:p
    [/zips up flame suit]

11. storm81 Forum Member

Go for it, you will get a good solid example for well under a grand that will hold its price reasonably well (given they are already rock bottom) if your able to buy an injection model

12. mexicorich Forum Member

Sciroccos are fab cars!
    They are still basically a MK1Golf coupe
    Lighter than Golfs and more aerodynamic means that the equivalent Scirocco is indeed more nimble and noticeably faster at high speed so there are plenty more advantages than looks. They are still basically a MK1Golf coupe
    The best of the bunch!

13. IanCarvell Forum Member

Cool....but I am biased

14. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Scirocco's - Marmite of the VW scene - love it or hate it, there's not much middle ground it seems.

Bargin coupe fun! Tatty ones are fast disappearing, so you're left with tidy or semi-tidy ones left (oh, and projects [:$] ).

Nice comfy seats and good driving position. Looks good even before you get in there with lowering kits and de-striping (stupid idea btw). Handling is good-ish from stock (front lower strut brace makes it 'point & squirt'[:D] )

Styling accessories are hard to come by, and mostly detrimental. Rear seating good for amputee's only, boot is bigger than it looks (you can get a 28" widescreen telly, still in it's box, in the back of one of these babies :p )

Look for a late (injection) scala (G/H plate onwards), or the GTX as mentioned before. A well looked after Storm (A or B plate) could also do you well if you like leather and electric toys, though you've a choice of turd brown or gay blue. Age does not necisarily mean rust - there's no rhyme or reason to it, apart from the filler-neck which is poo.

Only let down by unimaginative choice of engines, ideal candidate for 2.0l 16v conversion really[}:)]

And yeah, I'm biased...
    [​IMG]

15. Nordoff Forum Junkie

16. paul_c Forum Member

I'd say it was let down by the engines and its dumpy looks. But then I'm baised too ;)

17. GTXTRA Paid Member Paid Member

try one for yourself, away from the usual comic comments they are an acquired taste for sure. mk1s are prettier but a well-maintained mk2 injection is real-world quick enough, of course has sure footed handling, is surprisingly practical for its size, arguably better built than a lot of cars of the era and seem to fit the bill for those looking for something a bit different.
    helpful bunch over on sciroccoregister.co.uk too.

18. mexicorich Forum Member

Sciroccos - a car I actually like!

19. kerrly Forum Member

i had a gt, nice car. Don't need to worry about the value in the future. they can't get much lower!

20. vw_stu Forum Member

In my experience they have more neutral handling than a mk1, and I find the seating position more comfortable too. As stated previously though, if you plan on carrying anyone over five feet tall in the back you`d be better with the mk2.

I paid 200 for mine 4 yrs ago, and I think it owes me in the region of 2500 in all the time i`ve owned it, that includes tax, mot, servicing, buying it and the occasional wheel bearing etc. Definitely the most reliable motor i`ve owned, plus they are still quite cool really. Ok they`re not fast compared to modern hot hatches, but they can catch people out when driven properly and aggresively.

Ooooh, by the way, 9A power as of tomorrow:p ;)