Show us you stretch marks

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Rainey, May 8, 2008.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

so basically if you hit some one, say a self employed plumber walking along the pavement and you crippled his legs. The insurance company finds out you were running illegal tyre's which in turns means your insurance is void.... who does that guy claim off?? no one he is screwed, just so people can have a car looking 'cool'.......

sorry but I just wouldn't drive around like that, you could seriously ruin some one's life like that

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

your insurer has an obligation under the european rights against 3rd party insurer stuff to pay all 3rd party claims, regardless

they wont pay for your car and they will have the right to pursue you for those costs

innit bruv

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

did you find this out the hard way matt when you didn't declare your cherry bomb exhaust?? lol

4. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

alot of tyre fitters wont touch your wheels if you ask for a small tyre to be stretched on. i went to some top name tyre fitters and none would a small tyre on my wheels for safety reasons.

found a dodgy, grotty place down a back street who couldnt care what size they fitted if you had the cash. :)

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

think that pretty much says it all doesn't it!!! lol

so what did you get, 175 on a 7.5j wheel?
    :lol:

6. Dubmuffin Forum Member

Insurer will still pay out for the bloke. Just not for you if you say 'someone ran in to me, I want money now' blah blah as your car has illegal things on it. Or so I think?
    Goes for anything illegal, but more so things that are possibly dangerous eg. lights that make your indicators flash red would probably not affect it as much as tyres so stretched you cannot control your car.
    As the other insurer can say you caused the accident because you had no control due to your wheels... and so on

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive done insurance litigation for years

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

no my car is fully legal.... or will be once it has mot and on the road.

Wasn't having a dig personally at you, its just some things are not worth the risk and I have a conscience that would struggle if I lost control of my car and hurt some one and I had tyre's that didn't fit properly, talking mainly about people who do it to the extreme's to fit in with the 'scene' etc

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

is that your job now then? do my wheels count as a modification as they are standard fit to mk3's?? obv would tell them they are black but doubt they will care what colour they are.... but likely to put the premium up if it is a 'mod'

10. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

195 on 7". hardly no stretch but im not very good at maths. it was just enought to clear the arches.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

they are not that strict, but will be if the mod is likely to have contributed to the accident

it... a gay stretched tyre, mid bend, coming off the rim, then that clearly would have been the cause of an accident if it took out someone else whilst falling off the road

the colour of your wheels, not really a problem, they are OE wheels, but painted

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

195 on a 7 is hardly a stretch at all is it? I have 205's on my 6.5 atm, they look like balloons :lol:

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nice one....

14. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

This is also a pet hate of mine.
    I feel we should start something.........

15. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

well very slightly or none at all, enought for most garages not to fit. enought for the arches not to rub the walls of my tyres wich would make it more dangerous than a stretched tyre.:)

16. Dubmuffin Forum Member

I was wondering that, if to tart up my MK2 I should get some standard fit BBS or P slots etc.. but what puts me off is a the fact a mate had 206CC alloys on his 206 and was charged 80 for not declaring them..
    but I suppose they didn't, and wouldn't ever, come with the car [:s] which would be similar to mine i'm guessing, as its a 1.3 and nice wheels were only put on GTIs (or so I think?)

17. nimbus dare Forum Member

i had my insurance cancelled before. lost 800.

got a 3 page document on mods not declared.

i can laugh now. but wasnt funny at the time.

no got 5500 agreed value on a mk2. god bless flux 8)

18. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I thought 195 was the correct size for a 7j wheel?

Anyway here`s a few pics of mine. 195/45s on 8j wheels. Not a lot of stretch, just enough to clear the arches, so they can remain standard (ie, not pulled/rolled).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personally, I think it helps to achieve the stance I wanted, without resorting to body mods. It doesn`t affect the handling one iota, as to Nimbus` suggestion that lowering a car can have an adverse effect on handling. Rubbish!

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

7 inch wheel should have 205's on.... 195's on a 6.5 ie 10mm less tyre = 1/2 inch

20. Claypole Forum Junkie

Fashion over function. :clap:

Like another forum where BBS alloys cost more than a car...

I paid 1000 to have these blinged up then wasted another few quid on some tyres that don't fit. :lol: