Solid front engine mount

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Phil., Apr 12, 2007.

1. IanCarvell Forum Member

The vibration isn't bad at all because the cross member is rubber mounted anyway.

My front mount broke so I welded the inner to the outer....it was a 20 minute job to remove it weld it up and refit and cost nothing....well maybe a bit of welding wire and gas...but virtually nothing.

Problem is it keeps setting fire to the rubber inside the mount so you have to keep stopping to blow out the flames so have a bucket of water nearby!

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Would you get the same overall effect if you just changed the subframe bushes to Powerflex and left the front mount standard ?

3. MUSH Forum Member

Yep ill take a hit for that, the fram filter is simply whilst the engine is being started and run in a bit, cost me pennies and does the job, and i aint french so WALA is voila, geordified..........:lol:

Anyway, still havnt driven with it yet, but ive started me engine, and even though it is running rough whilst just getin the juices flowing, i dont notice any more cabin vibration with the solid mount over standard ones. Seems quite civilised compared to some of my other first start motors......

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  4. IanCarvell Forum Member

Probably not...there is a lot of rubber in the front mount so most of the movement comes from there, there is reletively little in the cross member rubbers...plus it is easier to change the engine mount!

Why not do both!

The only thing I noticed is the starter sound noisier in the car because it bolts to the engine mounting bracket.

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks Ian, was planning to do both just thought there may be a cheaper way out !

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've had a solid front mount on mine for 3yrs or so, only at GTI fest the other week the top stud snapped flush in the EIP solid front mount.

Picked up one on the day from King Kwik off here, cheers Lee.

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

ah that makes sense , not used to mk2s , me.

8. philwalter New Member

BBM....is that Bahn Bremmer ?

Is that where you got it from ?

9. Daz... Forum Member

Yep, that's what I've got on mine. G-Werks sell them over here.