Spec me a laptop!

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by A.N. Other, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Pluginz Forum Member

GPU - Thats the graphics man! The screen only has 40% to do with it. Id say most screens would cope with the higher res but the gpu slows it down. The Lenovo Nvidia graphics chipset is shi*e compared to the Chronos Ati HD Radeon HD6750, theres just no comparison!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit

:) I got the BC Racing Coilover Kit, I wanted something I could adjust as she aint a full track car!, Yet!

Looking forward to fitting them!

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This is complicated. The screen is acting as a processor or has some bearing on the speed of the machine??? [:s] Bizarre stuff!

But it comes back to me now: the Radeon HD6750 was mentioned a while back, either on here or whilst I was quizzing someone in a different shop.

So a big minus there for the Lenovo?

I think a few of these BC kits are turning up now :)

3. Pluginz Forum Member

Not so much a big minus, but more of...You could get alot better :)

Oh yes, the HD6750, damn good gpu on a laptop right now, though Nvidia do have the same equivalent plus more! Thats basically where the big boys are with performance, the gpu.

Most of these new CPU's, especially the i7's, are all 4 cores and 8 threads, so are as quick as each other bar a few seconds, who cares about that? :p

As the overall leader in laptop graphics that would have to be the ATI 6970M, whoops edit, not sure how that compares against the 6750. Might have to do a little search on that.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  4. Pluginz Forum Member

5. Pluginz Forum Member

Look for the 'M' chips, the mobile ones.

6. Pluginz Forum Member

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That is for a PC, not a laptop I presume?

It scares me to buy a machine and then upgrade it. Even the process of getting it to talk to the new card. I will never believe I have done it right and it will be the explanation for everything that goes wrong.

8. Pluginz Forum Member

Hehe yep, desktop. But it shows you the price of a desktop graphics card with pretty much the same performane of a HD6970 Mobile chip, they are not cheap!!!

Getting the best laptop is highly in conjunction with the graphics as well, this will keep it infront of time, to a certain point at least.

These new hybrid Ivy bridge Laptops are so close to coming mainstream, I just dont know when.

Can you hang on for abit? :)

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just looking at this page now, June isn't too much of an ask. The Dell will need another format before then, as it's slowed up completely, but yeah, if it's a watershed, I'll wait.

Something that ticks me off proper: "ivy bridge" and suchlike catchphrases.

Are you able to cut through the crap? What are they banging on about using a meaningless name like that?

10. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Avoiding numerical geek-speak on the shop floor when the resident 19-year-old compulsive masturbators are tasked with selling my parents a new computer, I think.

Journo take on it.
    Manufacturer lowdown.

Tbh all you need to know (if you're going to wait) is that you're definitely buying the newest and getting it for the same cost as (or less than) its predecessor.
    I rarely wait as I personally hate working through manufacturer's bugs for them, and am not involved in any world-changing behaviour that would require me to have the absolute latest thing. I prefer to buy the recently-discontinued version on a nice fat discount, preferably ex-demo with a full warranty and some upgrades thrown in.
    But then my computers all have a piece of fruit on the casing so it's unlikely we're going to be talking the same language, really.

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

IT equivalent of Digi vs K-Jet vs <insert 1.8t equivalent here> vs FSI. Just a name to describe that particular technology.

Do as N/B suggests. You'll be fine. :thumbup:
    The Lenovo will do what you want, it's got enough power. I would do a reformat when you get it to get rid of all the "Included Software", aka bloatware that you will never need, but that's just me. Can help with that if you want.

12. Pluginz Forum Member

Hehe I know what you mean bud. But these core names are nothing new! Far from it.

Sorry bud I hope you dont think Im trying to confuse you with all these code names, because im not, its not meant for that, more or a way to enlighten you of the technology inside, its all quite normal tech talk for me. People are anal about their car knowledge, im the same with my pc components! Am I a Geek? :lol:

Newer chips always have the better technology inside, smaller die, more effiecient, that's their aim.

Ivy bridge, the new core name for the latest chips, like this lot now is 'sandy bridge' The Core names go way way back. Look at the list, you may even remember some of them when they came out.

Remember the Pentium 4? They were called the 'Williamette' then 'Northwood' then 'Prescott'

How about the old AMD 'Barton'?

http://www.cpu-world.com/Cores/index.html

If I think back when I had my Pentium 4 3Ghz in 2003, in 2005-06 the newer Core 2 Duos came out called 'conroe' and were almost 40% faster in every test!! Thats a massive increase. So i went and built myself a new powerhouse!

Do you want to skip the code names for any future reference? :)

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I do remember it being Pentium tho [:s]

Never heard of Sandy Bridge! <shakes head > What a load of cobblers!

Cheers Alex ref bloatware. Thanks for the offer, I will look at that closely.

I just found my current laptop spec. What I can't figure out is what some of it is on about! Can anyone fill in the gaps? Also interested to compare side by side with what it'll get replaced with.

Dell 1525 spec The replacement spec
    Hard drive 160GB 750GB to 1TB
    Drive? T5800
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Four core
    Chip 32 bit 64bit
    Software Was Vista, currently XP Windows 7
    Memory (RAM) 3GB 8GB + graphics
    ? 2Ghz ?
    ? 800MHz FSB ?
    ? 3MB mhz ?

Any light shedding appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  14. Pluginz Forum Member

Ello bud.

Dell 1525 spec The replacement spec
    Hard drive 160GB 750GB to 1TB
    CPU Model number T5800 2670QM
    Core name Meron Sandy Bridge
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo i7
    Windows version 32 bit 64bit
    Software Was Vista, currently XP Windows 7
    Memory (RAM) 3GB 8GB + graphics
    CPU Speed 2Ghz 2.2Ghz, but can be wound up to 3.10
    Front Side Bus 800MHz FSB QPI - No more FSB
    Level 2 Cache 2mb 1mb
    Level 3 Cache 6mb

This is what your looking for eh m8?

On that page, hit the Performance tab, next to specifications tab.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/95..._T5800_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-2670QM.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks Barry, nice to get it side by side :thumbup:

So no progress on stock CPU speed? You'd think it was something that would increase? [:s]

16. Pluginz Forum Member

Yep, i know where your coming from.

My old Pentium 4 was running at 3.75 Ghz overclocked. But your Dell laptop CPU is probably about 40% faster at the 2.0 Ghz, crazy isnt it.

Its all the new architecture inside. Plus the higher cache. Bigger cache can store more instructions.

T5800 - 2mb level 2 cache
    2670QM - 6mb level 3 cache

Thats where the speed difference is

These Intel blokes are rather clever. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

CPU frequency is a bit like peak power, doesn't tell the whole story.
    One thing is your old machine has two cores at 2GHz (so 4GHz total), while the the new one has 4 cores at 2.2GHz (8.8GHz total).
    In addition, the new cores are 22nanometer vs the older 37/42nm (not sure exactly), which makes the performance even better, and also uses less energy. A 2GHz 22nm chip will process more quickly than a 2GHz 37nm chip. Google flops (tera and petaflops) if you're really interested.
    Bit like bolting more engines in to a car. If you have one 200bhp ABF, it will be slower than a car with 2 200bhp ABFs, which will be slower than a car with 4 200bhp ABFs.

18. Pluginz Forum Member

Thats one nice way of putting it Sparrow [:D]

4 abf's in a Mk2 Golf, hooah!!!

19. Pluginz Forum Member

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks Barry, no I hadn't seen but will have a look. I presume you mean it gives indicative release dates for i7s & the like?