speed camera detectors

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by Jamie GTi 8v, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Jamie GTi 8v Forum Member

heya,
    im looking to get a Speed Camera Detector but there are loads on the market. Does anyone know as a straight answer what the best one would be to get. i'm not overly interested in it having a Sat Nav feature as i normally know where im heading but just want the best detector. Any ideas ?????

Cheers
    Jamie

2. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

I currently have the "New" Road Angel and I find it to be fantastic.

3. paul_c Forum Member

Just keep a lookout for them with your eyes? 0?

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Thats the way I do it too! No points so far!:lol: Most people seem to go for Road angel.

5. Seraph Banned

i had a snooper s4

very good.....until some barsteward stole it.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This Q hasn't come up for a while and the market has moved like mad in the last year.

Depending on budget, a lot of these detectors are being combined with Sat Nav now.

Sat Nav versions (avail from Road Angel & Snooper IIRC + others) generally is GPS only, and has no radar detection IIRC (someone correct me?)

Radar was being tee'd up to be banned, but I don't know if it has been, and whether Snooper still supply it (Road Angel didn't seem to with their top 2 products).

IMO, radar detection combined with GPS covers most of the mainstream speed detection, leaving you to worry less about straying over limits and tripping over Gatsos and Truvelos in areas you don't usually travel in.

But as I say, it's all moved in the last year, so Sat Nav is the tempting option to save having upteen boxes on your dash.

7. gillm

gillm ***** User

origin b2 had mine for about 3 years never lets me down

8. paul_c Forum Member

AFAIK radar detection is now illegal, and it applies retrospectively to existing devices too.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

They were lining up the banning of radar, at least twice, but not sure if it happened. There was a pause whilst the Election was on/Parlaiment suspended in '05, since clearly they had 'better' things to do.

10. gillm

gillm ***** User

im still using mine whatever

11. mk1steve Forum Member

:lol: good man

12. mk3golfnut New Member

ive jsut got the new road angle satnav with built in speed camra dector , i think its amazing it shows u accient black spots which i have found handy wen belting it down roads i dont know not knowing theres a tite couner, i have it switch on even wen i know ware im going [:D] and halfords have it on discount atm i think

13. vduben Forum Member

for the price of them no it would be stupid not to get a satnav combined with speed camera detectors, give it a year and they will be cheap as chips

14. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Coming back to a point Chris raised earlier - actual radar detectors are being banned as of February 2007.

Got me a road angel 6000. Does the job well enough for camera detection. Only really use it when travelling pastures wider than Buckinghamshire though, just to make sure I dont get caught by a sneaky camera on the brow of a hill etc.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  15. Daz... Forum Member

I've got one of the 'Classic' Road Angels, they don't make it anymore but it still warns me of all the blackspots, cameras etc that the newer models do. It also has a laser detection that I can attach if I feel the need.

The best thing about it is that it fits perfectly in the little gap on the right of the instrument cluster in a MK2 and the design of it doesn't look out of place next to the boxey dash [:D]

16. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

This ban, does it include laser detector ?

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've got a Road Angel Navigator 6000 too, i just use it for the road angel mode.

Fantastic! Ok, it does bleep at places where there's no speed vans, but because of that i now know some of the more famous spots to be aware of that i never knew were in use! [:D]

But with laser detectors, they're only good apparently if the laser has been used on another car. I.e if you're pegging on an empty road, and you're the first car, you'll be the first person to get hit by a laser. At that point it'll be too late.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, agree with G-Man on the lasers. You either pick up a laser on another car, or by the time you realise, it's too late.

Thanks about the Feb '07 update on radar, The db. Are there any links anywhere you know of?

This can only mean that no one is selling radar now, but the 'ban' may apply retrospectively, or it may not - unsure.

Totally agree that Sat Nav is the way to go, with GPS'd location alerts.

Means there's no chance of picking up radar and lasers anymore. Apparently that's progress [:s]

19. thegolfman Forum Member

While my car was off the road, I was unlucky enough to get the same taxi to work 3 times in one week. He had a road angel... And We unfortunately have to pass 3 cameras to get here.
    Those bloody things are awful..
    Beep..... BEEP..... BEEP... BEEP.. BEEP BEEP. BEEP BEEP
    Why do they have to beep from 200 yards before? We got stuck in ****in trafic and the damn thing drove me crazy.

20. xxgolfyxbirdxx Forum Member

You can turn the beeping off, and it just flashes![:D] :lol: