speed camera detectors

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by Jamie GTi 8v, Dec 26, 2006.

1. thegolfman Forum Member

I wasnt going to lean accross the taxi drivers lap and fiddle with it though :lol:

2. gillm

gillm ***** User

not if you can send the laser back to them ;)

3. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

A Laser defuser would be cool to have but just costs too much, or maybe i should just put a CD in the car hanging from the rear view mirror :lol:

4. Seraph Banned

Are Speed Camera Detectors to be outlawed in the Governments proposed Road Safety Bill?

It is currently 100% legal (November 2006) to use a speed camera detector in the UK to warn of all speed camera locations - fixed and mobile. Legislation implemented on the 27th January 1998 made the detection of speed cameras a lawful activity.

More recently the Government, through the Road Safety Bill, is reviewing the use of speed camera detectors and their technologies in the UK. The Road Safety Bill looks to ban speed camera jammers and detectors.

To fully understand the implications of the bill first you need to understand the different types of speed camera detectors that are available in the UK. There are currently three different technologies that a speed camera detector could utilise to detect and warn of an approaching speed camera. Speed camera detectors can use Radar detection, Laser detection and GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) a combination of one, two or all three of the technologies can be used. Legality of radar and laser systems are under review, as they potentially allow a motorist to drive above the speed limit through an in active road side speed camera (without facing prosecution).

In anticipation of a change in the law some retailers (and manufacturers) are withdrawing radar and laser detectors from their product range. However, it is possible to purchase a GPS based detection system (which will remain legal) which includes a removable radar/laser detection module. If the law changes you can simply remove the module and therefore disable the radar/laser function thus making legal your detector. Speed camera detectors can be viewed and purchase at the online retailer ActiveGPS.co.uk

Department for Transport - Road Safety Bill 2004 note 2: Speeding "Safety Cameras form an integral part of a successful road safety strategy, strict rules govern the positioning of cameras to ensure that they are sited only where there is a demonstrable risk and danger to road users. There is overwhelming evidence from both UK and international literature that speeding results in more collisions and more severe casualties. Furthermore the evidence from the independent review of the safety camera programme by University College London and PA Consulting found that cameras significantly reduced the number of people killed or seriously injured at camera sites.

The Government believes that devices which interfere with or detect the proper functioning of such cameras have only one purpose: to tell drivers when they can break speed limits and get away with it. This is unacceptable. It prevents the police from carrying out their duties, and is a danger to other law-abiding road users.

The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these compliment the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads."

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/camera-detector-legal.htm

5. lairy_1

lairy_1 CGTI Regional Host

I have seen a few speed camera detector websites that have ratings for different models on the market. They also tested 'laser/ radar garage door openers' :lol: , which apparently also 'jam any radar/ laser that your car passes through' :lol: because as soon as they sense that they are near your garage, they fire a signal back, which tells the door to open. They require you to have a small plastic box on your front bumper.

The website was very informative (although I have no idea what it was called!), and explained exactly how they work. I know this is a huge grey area, but they are still for sale!

The only time I reckon you can get caught is if you drive past a policeman with a camera (mobile). When his little machine goes haywire, he might take your registration, or pull you over for a closer look, and laser jamming is definitely illegal, and has been for a few years AFAIK.

Good marketing strategy, though! :lol:

Matt.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

IIRC there's a case of a BMW driver being visited at home in order for the car to be inspected.

But IIRC, it was a garage door opener, and he had a garage.

Err, no further questions your honour ;)

7. Golfgirl Forum Member

Ditto, no complaints about mine either.

8. fil1973 Forum Member

i use a tomtom one, great bit of kit, exccellent navigation, & upgradable by adding on (safety cameras) & points of interest, macdonalds, halfords,etc (free from pocket gps world) i just couldnt do without it now,

9. fergalsharky Forum Member

ive got tom tom 700 and its got speed cams on it with free updates and it flashes when you go over the speed limit and tell you if you want but there are others ,road angel is a good one

10. tt509 Forum Member

new road angel