Starter woes continue

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Matt Golf, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Matt Golf Forum Member

Okay so fitted a new starter. It’s clearly new no marks from fitting. Still nothing. Exactly as it was before fitting. Not even a click. Following tests done: 12v showing at terminal on starter from ignition switch when turned on. Multimeter was connected to the actual metal that the feed connects to so is actually getting a good 12v to the solenoid connector. 12v showing at the feed from battery to starter constant live connector screw thread. To exclude bad earth from engine block connected jump lead direct from battery negative to the engine block. Still nothing. Engine block showing as good earth anyway using circuit tester. Removed the other connector that feeds from the ignition live in case it was short circuiting. No change. Removed the positive feed from alternator in case short circuit. No change. All terminals clear or by passed . Would a seized engine stop a starter from spinning? Surely I’d get a click or something? It’s absolutely silent. Or is it a MASSIVE coincidence and I’ve bought a duff starter? It only needs three things ignition live, constant live and earth. Can I check this thing off the car or is that dangerous??

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

You can check it spins on the bench no problem.
    Are you absolutely sure you have the connections correct?
    Have you tried connecting the battery directly to the starter to see if it spins the engine?

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

As phil says can check it off the car, if you have a vice put it in there.

4. davidut5 Forum Member

You may have voltage drop somewhere, some bad connection or ignition switch. Test for voltage under load/while cranking, not 100% clear how you measured 12v from ignition, starter connected or not.

5. Matt Golf Forum Member

Cheers for all the prompt replies. All helpful as ever. When I restored it recently I gave all the important electrical connections a good clean, removed and replaced . The connections to the thing seem straight forward, hard to go wrong? Even for me. I took photos before taking the other one off. I’ll bench text it in a vice . Presume I just need constant live, earth and a quick positive to the solenoid feed? Another look in the morning when fresh will do me the world of good I’m sure. If the engine were seized (unlikely I know) I would at least get something happening??

6. Matt Golf Forum Member

I’ll try turning engine over by hand. Never done that before so tips welcome

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Can you post a pic up please. I had the same problem last year on my 87 8v GTi. Did a drawing of the connections to be 100% sure when fitting new. Did absolutely bloody nothing when fitted. Zender pointed out to me that he had the same and had to swap a connection over to make his work. I did the same and a miracle happened ...
    I will try and find the pic on my Gwendoline thread if it helps

8. Matt Golf Forum Member

Thanks will try that. I put the connectors back as they were on the one I took off but of course the manufacturer could have swapped around just to p@ss me off!

9. Matt Golf Forum Member

Flipped the terminals and whoosh fired up. All that stress for nothing but they where not where they were on the previous starter. Opposite sides of the solenoid. Thanks all

KeithMac, davkav, PhilRyder and 2 others like this.
  10. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

11. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome news

12. davidut5 Forum Member

Never seen one with two spade connectors, on a 1.6d or my 1.6 carb. Was it for cold start 5th injector?
    Great job.

13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I have two spades on my 16v starter, one is for the cold starting / 5th injector (now redundant as on MegaSquirt).

Luckily I took a picture if the engine before I stripped it all down.

14. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Well that was Ballache but at least it ended with a good result.