Stretching tyres, talk to me...

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by shedwood, Sep 7, 2007.

1. shedwood New Member

So i went to the local tyre fitter today and got my wheels balanced. One of the tyres was worn and he comented that i should get it replaced, i said i was gonna run em for a while to get some life out of the others rather than change the one.

I also mentioned putting smaller tyres on, maybe stretched or low profile. The guy looked at me like i was from another planet saying what you wanna do that for it will look stupid and will effect your speedo, ride height etc. He said i'd have to get bigger alloys for low profiles.

Ive seen guys on here and at meets running stretched tyres on 13's so whats the deal? Do you have to have a mate whos a tyre fitter.

Im running some bbs copies think they r about 15x6 or 6.5.

2. Phil. Forum Junkie

People do like to streeeetch silly skinny tyres on silly wide wheels for aesthetics but it isn't advisible or ideal for everyday driving. Quite alot of tyre places will refuse to fit the tyre if they feel it is unsafe with too much of a stretch.

I have 195/45/16 slightly stretched onto 7" wide rims (or are they 7.5"??) and it doesn't effect the handling too much. With a 6 or 6.5" wheel a 195 width tyre won't give you much of a stetch at all.

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

Tyres and wheels need to be matched relative to their respective sizes and the car in question.

Look up one of the tyre manufacturer sites for advice; the tyre fitter was correct.

4. shedwood New Member

If everything was kept to manufactures specs there wouldn't be much of a car modifying scene would there.

I do agree some of the stretches people have are obscene. But what would be the best route for just a lower profile look?

5. Dub20vt Forum Member

the tyre fitter is right, having stretched tyres is a complete compromise just to make it look like you have really wide wheels... while a slight stretch is acceptable dependent on the tyre manufacturers wheel width recommendations... for instance i have 195/45 16s on a 7.5x16" wheel and it gives a very slight stretch.. but it's inside the manufacturers limits.

on top of what the tyre fitter said if you partake in some 'spirited' driving you are more likely to pop the tyre off of the wheel.

6. craggsy Forum Member

Well I run 195/40 16s on my 8" wide wheels and have no problems at all, apart from when taking corners at speed it doesn't feel safe at all. But whilst I have them on I drive carefully and behave myself. They are just for looks only and on just for show season only. But on that note I have 195/45 16s on an 8x16" wheel as a winter/track tyre

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

Modifying can be done within `specs` which then hopefully ensures the safety of the driver and everyone else. Some people modify without due regard for this fact as they appear to just want a certain `look`.

Modifying needs to be safe, if people want to go outwith this then don`t run on the road.

I`m not against modifying ... just the way that it is achieved.

8. Sciroccotune Forum Member

I dont get the whole stretched tyre thing. Why would you buy a good tyre/wheels then compromise their ability to hold the road? If i go round a corner fast or get in some kind of spin/ loose control i want to know that my rubber isnt gonna come off the rim or even not provide all the grip/integrity that they could.

Just seems odd to me and i dont think anyone in their right mind can argue that its safe. SO if you like the look go for it but drive like a granny to make up for it???

9. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

stretched tyre look. never seen the point of it, i dont even think it looks good.

10. Pete Taylor Forum Member

If you want the correct size tyres but with a stretched look, get a set of Falken 512s..
    My local tyre guy got me 2 of them, balanced and fitted them for 100. Absolute bargain, good in wet and dry and look wicked..

Not only that, they stopped any rubbing at all on the front even on full lock running 17s dropped 60mm

[​IMG]

11. paul_c Forum Member

What he said!

Vanity over common sense...

12. Antichav Forum Member

then there is taking things tooooooooo far, there was an S3 parked near the stage at E38, it had a good 3-5 mm of the wheel rim sticking out from the tyre, looked fookin foolish.

13. rick the spud Forum Member

^ yep. seen 195 40's mega stretched onto 9x16 bbs.

stoopid.

14. Tall Paul Forum Member

Hehe, says it all really.

15. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Does that not say it all?

"unsafe" vs "looks"

[:s]

16. prof Forum Addict

stretched tyres, right up there on the fickwits hall of fame along with with neons and LED washer jets

17. craggsy Forum Member

I'm not saying or ever have said its safe, just looks over function for shows, and I drive like a nun with em on. So say whatever you want as I run proper tyres for 10 months of the year just 2-3days around shows that I have em on for.

18. paul_c Forum Member

So if you put different wheels and tyres on for a show, what does it 'show' about you and the car?

19. craggsy Forum Member

Shiny wheels as to black 928s......the shiny wheels give a different look to car. Black 928s I have on to have fun whilst driving, hence shiny wheels came off the moment I got home after E38 and 928s went on. Plus 928s are scratched up to buggery where i hit kirb going on and off drive.
    As I have said they are for looks only. Same as people with air ride, they have it sat on floor but don't drive like it. And before you say air ride is not dangerous I know that as well.
    Purely cosmetic and thats it form over function for about 8 weeks total throughout the year.
    Have I ever said that ive crashed my car due to a tyre coming off? No.
    If I ever crash and hurt someone else due to it then I will take ANY punishment thrown at me, but I drive like a nun with em on and never go above 3k rpm which max speed in VR is about 70 mph

20. jamesa Forum Junkie

Can you not just change the wheels over at the show ?