Stripping out car - Dash for MOT & what switches?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G-Man, Oct 15, 2007.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Right been trying to look at various cars for a weekend toy, and instead of the old 'power tuning' i wanna go down the raw/lightweight route.

(I have used the search function before asking this and found nothing!)

I mean, keeping it barely MOT legal ;) I won't be entering any race series so no regulations will be needed, just a MOT.

However with many cars I have in mind, I know everything i want to take out as looking at other track cars but one thing they all leave in i want to remove is.....THE DASHBOARD! :lol:

In doing so i'll remove the fan motor, all fan control mechanisms, etc...

So basically i want to be left with the speedo gauges then create a small pod type to house just the hazards and rear fog light switch.

Is there any MOT requirements for a dashborad in place or other switches i've left out? [:s]

I know it might be a 'saftey' thing but I really want to get a car for the 'raw/trackday' experience.

2. lufbramatt Forum Member

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

4. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

so what cars have you been considering then G-man?

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

*holds up shields to be stoned*

Been looking at Saxo VTS's, mk3 VR6's (early models), 205 GTI's/MI-16's, 306 GTI-6's

All are varying cars:

Fancy a Saxo VTS but the image is a bit annoying, but its only because they are fairy nippy cars. Not bad for 120hp from a 1.6 and plenty of spares!

Pug 205's are a favourite but not sureto go down the MI-16 route because heard of the half-hearted coversions (commonly wrong loom used and tilted engines lead to oil starvation). Plenty to choose from but also a lot of rotten examples.

306 GTI-6's: getting cheap now so can afford to fully strip it out.

MK3 VR6's: again can be had cheap now but worry about long term costs if things go wrong and will need money spent on suspension changed to get the handling the way i want it. Early mk3's have bad body work

Fancy a mk2 16v but not sure i could strip it entire as i would partly like to keep it or restore it on the long run.

But also been looking at MR2-Turbos for fun factor; hence the dashboard question as there's not too much to strip from them [:$] :lol: But not sure how long they'll last with abuse and with poor Japanese history on cars

Nissan 200SX (early versions): RWD fun [:D]

6. Aphex Forum Junkie

May I suggest a honda prelude?

Edit: Or for that matter, any number of high revving hondas?

7. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

What happens when the windscreen decides to mist up lol.

Any of the frenchy's would ok cause there torsion bar so doesn't cost anything to lower the back lol, just knock out the splines and readjust woo.

I used to have a stripped out mini. That was fun, but ear achingly loud. 1330cc well spec'd engine made it fun too.

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

I like Honda engines don't get me wrong, but a prelude just seems a bit 'grandad'ish'

Plus only other Honda's i'll consider are a Civic VTI, but haven't looked to much in their current prices. But insurance tends to be higher on the Honda's than most of the others. (Yes MR2 Turbo and 200SX are most expensive to insure out of the listed which puts me off)

Other car just come to mind is a 'Almera GTI' as they are dirt cheap, but don't think they excel in any particular areas really.

With the windscreen misting up, it'll only literally be a dry weekend car. But won't be any more of an issue than my trusty polo breadvan i had as my first car which only worked on fan settings 1&2 :lol:

For some opinions:

Would like to remove the front door cards too; but as for security will a snap off steering wheel just be sufficient? I mean after all there's nothing to steel but the engine and shell which will require a steering wheel :lol:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  9. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

the prelude that a guy stripped for santa pod use the other week was running pretty damn quick times totally stripped with breathing mods to engine

.. as for my own choice . initial thoughts are wondering how much you could strip out of a BMW 325 as you can find those for fair enough price

10. Aphex Forum Junkie

There's a 300.00 325i on another thread.. it's a bit pink though :lol:

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah seen that :lol:

325i would be lovely but most there doesn't seem to be that many around so little choice

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

Just remember i did want Corrado but from what i remember being told, the 2l 16v is slower than the older 1.8 16v kr! :lol:

13. Aphex Forum Junkie

Neverrrr lol.

The 9a's a great engine. I have a 9a bottom end in my mk2 on a p&p head, makes 185bhp at the fly. You should get one!

14. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Sounds about right ;)

Ha ha haha ah ahah ah ah ah ah

15. Aphex Forum Junkie

Thought you'd pipe up :lol:

Just you wait abf ghey =D

16. davey Forum Member

mk 3 polo and a hyabusa engine in the back!

17. c_a_r_t_e_r Forum Member

106 Rallye? I had the older 1.4 100bhp (ish) XSi and it was great - and the Rallye is the 1.6 GTi engine and already pretty stripped out without too many mod-cons/steels, etc.

Not all that common though, you might have to spend some time looking. That would be my choice! In white or blue.

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Can't remember who's this was?

But it was an in progress shot....you get the idea & it used the standard switches:

[​IMG]]

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Don't forget mind that you can never have too many dials:

[​IMG]

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007