Sub for parcel shelf?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Paul_TDi, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I'ved just bought a mk4 golf and I'm hoping to keep most of the boot free so I was hoping to find a sub to mount on my parself shelf.

I have a Shark V9 amp up to 1000W and a couple of Kenwood 7x10's that I will be keeping but my pioneer sub is rather bulky.

any ideas welcome, not after something huge just so it plays music crisp quite loud!

2. tt509 Forum Member

JL do one for the mk 4 mate ;)
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114727

3. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Any chance of some hints on where to buy one :) ?

or which model it is?

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

speakers in the rear shelf are a crap idea if youre wanting your system to sound half good.

a sub in the shelf will not be particualry efficient. why do you need the boot? if you have to put crap like 'shopping' in there, then get a small ported 10" sub... or just say forget about your car being practical at all.... its all about having fun !

5. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Speakers in general as in my 7x10's or just subs?

Where could be a better place to mount them without making the fittings too complicated or messy?

Ahaha!! found the stealthboxes but can't find somewhere that sells them, litle help please??

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1501

which sub do you run with yours tt509?

Cheers.

6. tt509 Forum Member

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i promise you, speakers in general on the rear shelf is a bad idea. your normal 6*9s or 7*10 co-ax or tri-ax speakers are bad news. the 'sound stage' is not meant to be brought that far back, our ears arnt meant to listen to things behind us, hence it sounds invariably s hit.

a sub too, subs are generally heavy, to get good performance from a speaker, it need a good solid baffle (to be mounted to something that dont move) the cone is already moving, imagine if its in a shelf that is flapping about too.... youre going to mess up the sound.

if you are really worried about space and you mum has to get shopping in there, go for an ok 10" sub in a ported box. dont forget, the mk4 tdi is so quiet anyway, you wont need earth shattering power to make it heard

8. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Soooooo would you say upgrade the component speakers in the doors instead then?

Although I was quite happy with the sound as it is in my MK3 it's just that the big ported 12" box i have takes up most of the room.

I think I'll go for the JL stealth box for the sub in the spare wheel bay.

Just need to sort the other speakers now, although if I upgrade components aren't they going to need an amp??

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

generally upgrade 'component' speakers will need an amp as they have higher power ratings, their efficiency tends to go down. if you choose carefully you can pick perfectly ok components to run off your head unit. its only worth upgrading the front, there is no real use for sound coming from behind you, simple as that really

all you need for a good system is good speakers up front and a sub (the choice of sub is down to the response you want... ie major major boom or something that sounds realistic)

10. Paul_TDi Forum Member

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

I had 7x10's, which were brilliant all rounders (If you're after a cheap sound for pound!) but honestly a sub is the way forward. Only way is to get a custom box that sits in the corner called stealth boxes.

12. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Yeh, I'm very pleased with the 7x10's nice and loud and crisp, I might upgrade the front door speakers but I'll probs still put my 7x10s's on the parcel shelf, I can't tell the different between sound quality, I jus like it loud!

and OUCH! again 180 for a flipping box...

http://www.auto-acoustics.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=311

I think not some how, I'll just get a small 10"er and make it so it's easily detachable, problem with my current system is how it's wired up it can't really move very far.

Any recomendations for a small subn box combo?

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

650 would be for the silly custom box. a 10w3 JL would be like 120 new, surely?

14. Paul_TDi Forum Member

oh yeh thats what I meant, although wasn't sure if that included sub or not.

if JL's are good subs I'll get 1 of them and a standard box.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

theyre nice. define good tho?

16. Paul_TDi Forum Member

lol pass :S

although scanning through some shops they seem a bit much for me...

I'm looking at spending about 150 or so on a new HU with USB input but i would say 100 tops for a sub and box.

To be honest as long as it's value for money and it's going to last i'll be happy!

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

but do you want something super loud or something very musical? what is your planned outcome ?

18. Paul_TDi Forum Member

somewhere inbetween. at the moment the sub isn't booming out all the time. which is about right.

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ok, and your budget is? i think the best place to look is caraudiodirect.com. their clearance section can be really good

20. Paul_TDi Forum Member

round about 100 quid, i can always buy a box locally for 20 quid.