Supergolfs?

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by daviddd, Dec 30, 2003.

1. daviddd Forum Member

Anyone on here bought a car off this company. I really fancy a Rallye or G60 but it's alottacash for a LHD car - still, if you really want something :p

2. MK2 GTI Forum Member

Have a look on www.mobile.de (german autotrader) Edition 1 G60's go for about 2k to 2.5k with around 70k miles on the clock. Sounds cheap but when you add the cost of going out & looking at the car, driving it back, paying the import tax (around 50% i think) it soon adds up & there's no 6 months warranty like you get with supergolfs. Its gotta be a lot easier than doing it yourself

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

their cars are stupid prices. people might have paid that 5 years ago, but not these days.

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

theres no import tax.just 25 to reg it..supergolfs is a bit pricey though

5. daviddd Forum Member

Thanks m8, I've got my German translator on the job! I will price up what importing would cost c/f buying from Supergolf.

6. daviddd Forum Member

cheers pig - so you reckon that I could go over to Germany with my phrase book and list of cars for sale, go and look and try out, hand over some Euros, bring it back to bonny Scotland and then what - pay the 25 import tax to Customs and Excise --- is that it? Sounds easy(!)

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah more or less.youd need insurance to drive home ..companys will insure it on the chassis number,and you need the seller to help you get a plate cus they keep em sometimes...then when your home mot it with the chassis number and reg and tax it...or drive around on german plates and pay no road tax n speeding fines

8. daviddd Forum Member

How do you mean Pig, "help you get a plate"? You mean they like to keep their German plates but can help you get another one (quickly!)?
    ('scuse me if I don't come right back to you 'cos we're getting powercuts and this link is sooo slow)

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

im not totaly sure cus of language thing...i think (maybe sometimes) they keep their number plate and you pop down to the reg place and get like a temp plate so that you can drive it away

its not difficult or exp..i know that much

10. MK2 GTI Forum Member

That's interesting, i might start to search for a g60 for myself now!!!

11. daviddd Forum Member

I gotta have one - thing is i fancy a Synchro / Chromolux / Edition 1 / aircon / the works (sad but true) [:D]

12. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

daviddd dont get one with aircon..it has the gayboy intercooler and will hamper any efforts to make good power...the others have a big ic like the rallye

14. daviddd Forum Member

not bad for the price eh! Just the language and distance problem, but not insoluble!

15. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

You will probably find that the seller will speak English or knows someone that will so no problems there.

16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Look at the engine, it neither a g60 or a Rallye [:o)]

17. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

[%]
    Edited by: VIW 2227

18. Phil

Phil Forum Member

19. JCS16V Forum Member

Very good point - you could easily spend over a grand going to look at cars in Germany and bringing one back to England. Then you have to factor in the time taken to do it, and the hassle of arranging things like Euro insurance with breakdown cover etc. Although Supergolfs are expensive, at least all their cars have FSH, warranty and are actually in the UK.
    I would love to get an 8v Ed 1, and there have been loads of nice ones on ebay and mobile.de recently for 800 - 2000 (albeit without service history or receipts) but an 800 quid car soon becomes a 2 grand+ car by the time you've flown over there, got it home and registered it. I doubt you'd get that money back come resale, so it's a lot of cash to lose. Plus you can get a very nice mk2 in England for much less than 2k.
    If you lived in the south I would imagine it would be a lot easier, and especially if you found a car in Holland - you could get over there and back in a day. But living in the north and buying a car in somewhere like southern Germany takes a lot of time and money (especially if you don't know anybody over there)

OK, rant over! As you can probably tell I want an Ed 1 but can't justify the cost. Gutted!

20. daviddd Forum Member

Yeah, I see your point JCS. I live in the n of Scotland so it's a way to Germany. Mind you, it's a way to Supergolfs, about 700 miles in fact, so any warranty problems would still mean me travelling all that way. Pigbladder reckons there's no import tax but Mk2 GTi reckons there is. I think P is right? Like everything else you have to sus out all the facts and cost exactly, and decide how much hassle your prepared to go through.

But is there no-one on this forum that's actually bought a Supergolfs car? My original question hoped to get some recommendations or otherwise.