Swirl Pot Replacement

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by will5001, Jun 4, 2017.

1. will5001 New Member

Hi - first post on the forum as 99/100 I've found the answer to my other problems on other threads! This time - it's a bit trickier.

I've looked at the following threads and think I have a plan - but I'd like to know if anyone could improve on what I have planned?

http://www.clubgti.com/archive/index.php/t-265861.html
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?286101-K-jet-fuel-pump-accumulator-delete
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?282591-Mk2-16v-kr-fuel-supply-and-return
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?270543-Golf-gti-mk2-16v-external-fuel-pump-housing
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?286001-Best-way-to-repair-swirl-pot

Issue - I've got a 1991 Mk2 GTi 16v (KR) and recently replaced a defective fuel pump (and replaced the filter and accumulator whilst I was there), and the plastic fragile swirl pot has started leaking on refitting (it's leaking by the return pipe inlet/outlet). I know the part (191201043) is now obsolete. The car's pretty standard so I don't need to supply more fuel than the OEM pump.

What I've tried - I spent more than I should have done on an ebay breaker's replacement. That leaks in the same place. I tried fixing that with copious quantities of gasket sealant around the joint but it still leaks. I went to a machine shop who weren't confident they could do a plastic weld repair. I've replaced the fuel pipes in case they were causing the leak at the nipple.

My plan to fix it - Rather than spend hundreds more on 30 year old bits of plastic that may or may not leak - I'm planning to fit an aftermarket swirl pot and an inline fuel pump which will feed the accumulator and fuel pump (as in the OEM setup). I was planning on mounting the in-line pump in the same place as the existing pump and use the defective swirl pot as a mount by just drilling a hole the other end of the swirl pot to feed the accumulator.

I have a couple of questions:
    Will I need a small inline fuel filter? The main filter comes after the pump in this setup. The in-tank OEM lift pump has a strainer (I think) but will this be enough?
    Will I have enough space - and is there someone obvious to put the aftermarket swirl pot (i.e. have others found it OK?)?
    Will 1litre be enough? The car has occassional track-day use but it's not built as a racing machine!

I was thinking of the following products:
    1 litre bulkhead version: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...tors/obp-aluminium-lightweight-fuel-swirl-pot
    Cheaper version than the 044 Bosch (which is a little overkill in this situation?): http://www.obpltd.com/Essential-Par...uel-Pump-Bosch-Specification-300LPH-OBPFP300B

Thanks in advance!!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. no need, a mk1 gti main pump is what you'll probasbly end up with ad they either have filter in the internal tank swirlpot for tintop or the cab/rocco has same as what the mk2 has on the lifter pump in the tank

2. should be fine

3. probably, what i would do is remove the mk2 pump and see how much petrol comes out of it

to give you an idea, my mate got a mk3 golf filter carrier and strapped a swirl pot one side and main pump the other. you'll have to add the accumulator too obv. or use the old mk2 pump metal bracket as a base for whatever you build.

3. will5001 New Member

Thanks for the reply!

I see VW heritage have some mk1 pumps in stock - 171906091A - https://www.vwheritage.com/171906091a-external-fuel-pump-mk1-golf-jetta-k-jet-models

I'm hoping this is the right one - looks a similar spec to the standard 16v mk2. Looks like it goes up to 8 bar rather than 5. Does it matter if the pressures are slightly different or does the system just draw what it needs?

Good common sense idea measuring what comes out of the existing pot! Covered myself in fuel a couple of times doing this job through a lack of common sense. :-)

4. rubjonny

yes the mk1 kjet pump is the same spec as the mk2 kjet 8v and 16v pump :)

the oem one is 127l/hr @ 5 bar, if the one you end up with goes higher its no problem the metering head will take care of it

my top tip is unplug the lifter pump pipes first, otherwise the whoel tank will eventually empty out the bottom of the feed line due to capillary action. 1st time i attempted this i was thinking, bloody hell this swirl pot holds more than it looks! before I eventually twigged what was going on :lol:

5. rubjonny

6. will5001 New Member

:lol: same mistake. What makes it worse is that I think I read your tip before doing it!

I guess the advantage is that it's an (repro) original part - but the everyone likes a bit of shiny metal. Any reason I should be using the plastic swirl pot over the shiny aftermarket ones?

7. rubjonny

they both do the same job, since you got to make up brackets either way doesnt really make a difference which you go for :)

8. will5001 New Member

OK - great - thanks for your help, it's really appreciated!! I'll post back with how this works out (realistically fitting in with work will take a couple of weeks!)

I hope this helps someone else - those plastic swirl pots are reaching end of life!

9. will5001 New Member

Hi all,

I have just got around to finishing this and checking it works. I'm sure someone could custom build something far superior to this - but using easily available parts this is what can be done (if it is a bit messy). I haven't done a full write up - but just a summary - if anyone wants details - just let me know and I'll go into more depth.

Clearly there's loads of fuel under high pressure in close proximity to a hot exhaust (nice design), so there are many risks associated with not doing this right.

What I did in a nutshell is use the existing (defective) swirl pot with the Mk1 GTi in line fuel pump. This fits neatly in the mk2 swirlpot when you drill a hole for it at the other end. If you want to do this - you'll need to use the Mk2 gauze filter (with the end cut off) so it fits in snug. This has the major advantage that the mounts for the filter and accumulator as well as the pipes between them are all OEM.

I bought the "bulkhead mounted" variant of this 1L swirlpot. If you were custom building it I would recommend going smaller and reducing the height of it as it is all a bit tight under there (I only managed to get 3 out of the 4 mounting bolts in - I suppose I could have got all 4 in, but it was fine as it was)

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/obp-fuel-swirl-pot-1-litre-100mm-diameter-x-135mm-tall-obpa025 (doesn't come with fittings - M6 worked on the one I got)

In order to make this fit - I had to do some sawing (manual - don't want any sparks down there!) of what looks a stone guard, I managed to make it fit by bending it back after cutting rather than removing it entirely. My car's slightly lowered (40mm drop) so I didn't want anything hanging down.

I drilled 6mm holes into the body there which comes out in the rear passenger footwell - the carpet is reasonably easy to draw back to fit nuts the other side - I also used silicone sealant (I may have drilled a hole or two in the wrong place [8(] ) but mainly because I had some lying around. once the carpet is back - as long as you didn't use really long bolts it isn't noticeable.

I connected the lines up using 10mm (3/8 inch) from the new swirlpot through 10mm to 8mm reducers onto 8mm fuel hose which went over the plastic fuel lines with hose clamps (hose clamps everywhere btw). Some cutting of the existing lines is needed.

I used an 11mm fuel hose (7/16") to to the in line pump. I needed 3 90 degree bends, although I suppose it would have looked neater with 4.

Cutting the wires to the existing pump and fitting new connectors is also required (red/yellow is +ve, Brown is -ve).

The only tips I really have from doing this once is that lots of dry fitting is needed.

Some pics:

Showing how the Mk1 pump fits in the old swirlpot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Showing the dry fitment of the new swirlpot (the pump assembly which *just* fits with all the hoses is just in shot).

[​IMG]

Showing the mount inside the rear passenger footwell (yes I did end up using the washers - this was a trial fit)

[​IMG]

Josh Gateh likes this.