Target 180-200bhp

Discussion in '16-valve' started by AlexF2003, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Alan Forum Member

seem to remember one of the guys down at the old tsr was running over 200bhp but it wouldn't tickover properly and couldn't get through mot emissions test! Something about running 1 tooth out on the cams

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

my throttle bodied BRM180 Brian ricketts 2L engine did 199hp at stealth when it was starting to die (loosing compression on 1 piston) - this had a mega cyl head, 276 schrick cams and TB's

how can a 1900 on stock cams and injection manage 181 ?

this is what I mean - marts genuine 2.1 doing 209 - that sounds right for the spec

Paul haslam's 2L valver with hot cams / headwork - 180hp - spot on, about right

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. Alan Forum Member

Not a clue, vince couldn't work it you either:lol:
    Spent a lot of money on cams to try to get more out of it but always made less power.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Most fix cam n/a enginees will struggle to "see" 100hp/litre and drive 'normally' on the road.

5. Alan Forum Member

Don't tell me that my 230bhp 2.1 vaux engines almost ready for picking up :lol:

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

well I have a 2L valver which made 248hp a couple months ago - on throttle bodies with aftermarket ECU - drives perfectly on the road but kind of changes its personality about 4K......

7. Toyotec

I am reffering to road engines with average bolt ons and a rev range of 0-7000.

8. AlexF2003 Forum Member

So what would you build Toyotec?

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

an ABF turbo ;)

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have seen a 2.1 abf turbo with 600hp.....unreal

11. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

VR is the obvious option if you want to hold on to your pennies...

Find someone local with a mk2 vr and go for a ride. The VR is a bit heavier yes and does affect the handling but over suping up a 16v you'll have saved plenty to pay for some matched suspension tweaks. There are plenty of very well handling mk2 vrs out there. Gary's being the most obvious example.

Be careful though - you'll get addicted to the noise :) ... and the torque :)

12. Toyotec

Me, an EG model Civic with a K20A1 JDM engine (including A/C and PAS) and Hondata ECU. This is with the money I would spend on a N/A VW 16v motor to get it to scream and breathe right. When I get fed of of that I can install liners to the K20A1 and huff it with a GT30. WOLF R what?
    Else if still a Vee-Dub, some sort of permanent atmospheric enhancer, a big cubed OEM motor or both :lol:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  13. dave_dub86 Forum Member

didnt understand a word. could have sworn this is a vw forum??

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

toyotec is pretty famous for it. speaks mostly in codes and %ages. if you thought you knew a fair bit about cars, have a chat with toyotec. youll come away feeling pretty dumb haha

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have never been beaten in a sprint or hillclimb in 10yrs by a jap front wheel drive car - pugs and renaults yes but never a jap - bit odd that dont you think given the engines and chassis are supposed to be as good as they are......

16. Toyotec

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

220hp.....not bad but you need 250 these days and 300-350 if you want to break any records :lol: (thats in 2L non turbo class)

I'm not knocking them, they are damn good engines but they dont ever seem to do much over here, which is odd

18. Toyotec

Please dont take offense. It still is CGTi . I was asked a question however. And I answered.
    My point is similar to those on here who have N/A 16v cars that peak at higher than 100BHP/litre.
    Unless spend you time, effort, skills and money to develop a fixed cam engine to produce the require torque curve for the application, such that there is enough torque and rpm to target 100bhp/litre at some peak point then it is not going to happen.

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Dunno... was it all on Stealth's random number multiplier?

I think (and I'll be proved right or wrong in the next 16v engine I build) that a lot of the success in developing over 180 bhp (EDIT and the right sort of torque curve) in a 16v engine is about matching the static compression to the cam choice.

What static CR are you running, Rob? 12.5 or 13:1 ish? That's what's in my plans.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  20. Toyotec

220bhp and 167lbft of torque with short gearing is what you have in a DC5 Integra as STD.
    This car had an american 197bhp K20AZ engine with K20A1 cams and geabox. All OEM parts except for engine controller. Even with Keichi in the modified Subaru had trouble losing Orido.