The 16V G60 thread.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Trev16v, Jun 26, 2005.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Not long now, looking very tidy [:D]

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'm bloody petrified about starting this thing.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

It`ll be right! Give it a good 4 or 6 manual turns on the crank to make sure you have no interference and it`ll be fine ;)

4. Trev16v

Yeah, I was very eager to get the engine together complete with the timing belt installed just so that I could see how the whole engine turns over by hand. It feels fine.

I like that AF/EGR meter that you've got, Keith. The one you mentioned in the other thread. Might get myself one of those.

5. Admin Guest

wow super cool! [:D] :clap:

6. Chris H Forum Junkie

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Looks superb. Have you attempted anything similar before? By that I mean engine build of any kind?
    Edited by: Chris H

7. Trev16v

Thanks gents :)

Nope - this is the first time I have ever completely rebuilt an engine.

Which is why I have got absolutely no confidence whatsoever about what it's going to sound like when I start it for the first time :lol:

8. RO

Ro Forum Member

thats quite sexy.........

makes me want to ditch the 2.0L 16v i'm building and go for one of those..... if only i had the money!!!

Keep up the good wok Trev

Ro

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

fantastic stuff trev :clap: [:D]

you are giving me silly ideas you know,im really bored with the power of the rado [8(]

is this conversion any easier in a corrado?

neil.

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yeh it`s a great bit of kit, got the MAP sensor for it but not the EGT yet, handy to have when the laptop`s not in the car, plus my display`s on the dash above the wheel so it`s easy to take a quick glance while driving.

I run that display all the time, nice to keep an eye on things ;)

11. Trev16v

[​IMG]

Looking almost complete now. Just needs the G-lader back from Pitstop...
    Edited by: Trev16v

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Wow Trev, excellent. Wasnt aware that you had come this far as i havent really followed this thread. No wonder you need the G60 airbox already!! [:D] Will get it in the post today.

13. AlexB Forum Member

Cool!!

14. Trev16v

Thanks for the kind words gents. No worries by the way Luke regarding the air box - it will probably be a good while before this lump sees an engine bay! Thanks again for that.

Last night at No Rice I met with Steve from Pitstop and had my G-lader back. It's had the full works (overhaul and full porting). It was a pretty low mileage unit in the first place and completely free of any pitting so I'm quite chuffed. Steve's got some build pictures for me which I'll post when I get them.

Keithmac - in reply to your PMs - it certainly looks to me like we do need that second idler wheel on the G-lader bracket. Looks like that's what BBM intended. And I cannot flip the alternator idler wheel bracket like you said you could - the casing of my alternator simply wouldn't allow it. See what you mean about the tensioner idler being close to the waterpump pulley though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Only problem wit running another idle on the G-60 bracket is you tehn loose all the belt travel for the tensoner, if you can imagine the belt being fairly tight from the crank to g pulley, the tensioner will push down 10 to 20mm at least.

I was thinking of bolting another tensioner to the top alt mount, or buying a few more belts to try..

You could use your old 16v cambelt pulley to experiment with. The belt has to be fairly tight on it`s run before the tensioner is fitted.

don`t know what drugs BBM were on when they specced that belt?

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I remeber I ran a file down the alternator so it`d clear the alternator bracket if I decided to spin it round..

Posted your bits yesterday as well, just be carefull when you modify and fit the PAS braket as I cut a littl bit too much off mine where it bolts to the G-bracket and I snapped it yesterday [:^(]

17. Trev16v

I've just fired an email to Mr. Betz with the above image. There are a few ways that I can see to possibly run this but I'm interested to know how BBM intended it to be.

18. Trev16v

Oh, bugger - is your bracket knackered then?

I don't understand why it has to be modified but no doubt it will become clear when I try to fit it. But coming to think of it, I already did test fit it ages ago with the G-lader bracket in place... Oh, is it because of the alternator?

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I think it`s due to one of the alternator brackets? I just went straight in and chopped it down, if you measure the width of a bracket and cut it dead square you should be fine.

I`d be intersted to here what BBM have to say.

20. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

very sexy looking motor trev :clap: