The 16V G60 thread.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Trev16v, Jun 26, 2005.

1. DODGER Forum Member

Hows this coming then trev?

2. Yandards Forum Member

I haven't has any joy out of BBM via e-mail for a while either as I e-mailed them about the same thing.

What size belt did they send you Keith/Trev as mine is just huge by comparison, and more importantly where did you get them from?

How did you guys find the fit for the front mount alternator? I find my pulley wheel for the alt is too far over compared to the rest of the set-up.

I have modified the rear charger bracket so as to allow for the engine breather by removing some of the material from the bracket and making up a thiner spacer plate to use instead of the BBM supplied one.

Here is a pic of my proposed belt routing, will need to source a roller bearing that will allow the belt to run over the top of the BBM supplied 'triangle' bracket though. The other option would be ton find a smaller pulley that would fit between the charger pulley and alternator pulley, enabling the belt to run under the 'triangle' bracket. If I can find one it will give me over 75% belt contact with the charger pulley though [:D]

[​IMG]
    Edited by: Yandards

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

That`s my setup, used a 16v tensioner where the top bolt goes on the BBM alt bracket.

You can`t run the belt like your pic, the tensioner belt has to go under the tiangle pivot, and the belt will rub against itself where you have the second G60 idler.

I run the 1295 belt on a 65mm G60 pulley with the extra 16v tensioner. Thing with my setup a 1305 or 1310 belt would work with the 78mm pulley..

4. Yandards Forum Member

Thanks for the info Keith - you haved saved me a lot of head scratching and running around.

You had response out of BBM recently? I don't know if we can go and ask Daz from G-werks for tech support for the kit as he is the 'official' uk distributor for BBM's stuff now.

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`ve never had an E-mail back about the belt routing, and I asked a few times.. Think Trev`s had no joy either?

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

What? Sixteen valves G what?

I'm sure I've got an unfinished one of those outside the house... :lol:

7. caddy16vt Forum Member

Yandards

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your water pump pulley from.

Cheers

8. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

BBM are notoriously crap with their emails. Best thing to do (as my phone bill attests) is to ring them and email them with pics etc whilst you've got them on the phone.

9. Yandards Forum Member

VW believe it or not!

Wasn't a hideous price either, think it was around 60 for a new one, and I wanted to fit all new parts where possible so I know that I am starting from fresh.

Part no is 037 121 030A. I have a second hand one that I got from one of the guys off the Corrado forum if you need one.

Not keen of calling BBM as it would cost a fortune, but I would have expected some sort of answer from them for one of us UK based 16v 60 types.

On another note what have you guys done with reference to MFA's and vacuum sensors? VAG don't have any VDO ones left for an early set of corrado clocks so I was wondering how you get around it on the Golfs?
    Edited by: Yandards

10. Trev16v

With regards to phoning BBM, it doesn't have to cost much. Simply buy one of those US call cards. I bought one of those for about five quid and it just seemed to last forever. I spent ages on the phone with BBM! I will pick up another card and phone them about the belt issue.

I got my G60 water pump pulley from someone who was breaking a G60 engine.

11. caddy16vt Forum Member

Thanks for the reply gents ;)

12. Trev16v

Amazingly, I did some more work on mine this weekend. Not a great deal but it's progress. I removed the brass injector inserts from the Scirocco manifold and fitted the G60 ones, and assembled the valve cover and inlet manifold and various other bits onto the engine.

What fuel hoses do I need to get in order to use the fuel rail? This is a 16V K-jet car, so my fuel hoses in the engine bay are the type that fit onto the K-jet metering head. Am I right in thinking that the hose connections to the fuel rail are the same kind of connectors that are used on the 8V Digifant engine? Therefore could I get the hoses I need from an 8V GTI? Where the hoses come into the engine bay, there are some threaded connectors. So rather than having to slice hoses, I assume I just screw the appropriate new hoses to here. If I need to order any hoses, connectors, clips or tools to do this then any recommendations please?

Edit: Just done some searching and apparently http://www.thinkauto.com/ are the people for fuel hoses and connectors.

While I'm at it, I'm wondering if it is worth replacing any of the other fuel hoses, going back to the pump...?
    Edited by: Trev16v

13. Yandards Forum Member

Which alternator pulley did you use Keith?

The standard G60 one is set up for a different type of alternator.

14. Trev16v

The alternator I have comes out of a Polo. It fits into the brackets and the pulley it came with aligns just right.

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yeh I also used a mk4 or 5? Polo Diesel Alternator with the 6 rib pulley. Brand new off e-bay for 40 ish..

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I believe the mounts are made for an ABA alternator?

17. Yandards Forum Member

Ah, thanks again guys.

That's the 90A bosch alternator isn't it?

18. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Think mine was a 90amp alt?.

19. Yandards Forum Member

Ok question number 700 ;)

Just got a mail back from John Betz about the coolant flange on the head. what confused me is that the original G60 flange has 2 x points where you plug in the sensor for the water temp gauge (215 919 501D black with a green ring on it) and another sensor that is just listed as a temperature sensor for models with a catalyst(Blue).

Now you can relocate one of the sensors to the side of cylinder head on the new fixture they sent me but what I am supposed to do with the other one?

I am thinking about using the standard G60 fitment that normally sits behind the charger on the front of the cylinder head on the side of the block and blanking off one it its ports. The other issue for me is that I have retained the rear charger bracket and modified it so that it can take the breather so this interfers with the BBM supplied water flange. [:s]

Photos would be good again Keith ;)

20. Trev16v

Yandards, what are you doing about an intercooler mate?

I want a front mount IC and I can get a Rallye FMIC, but I don't believe a Rallye one will fit due to the alternator position interfering with the inlet port. So I was going to get Allard to make me a Rallye shaped one but with the ports both on the near-side.