The Limit of AGG Rods? / Where to get Steel rods from?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by drunkenalan, Nov 26, 2007.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

cheers prof, will take a look

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Yeah thats about right. The 8v project head started out with 31cc after I opened up the chamber slightly on the inlet valve side, skimming 15 tho off it brought it to 29.5 like yours.

If the piston sits "dead" flush with the top of the block it's easy, just cc it the same as the head and you should only fill the bowl in the top. Ideally you need to check the piston position with a DTI gauge to ensure it "is" at tdc before you measure. If it comes short it's no problem as any gap between the top of the piston and the block will be measured as well.

Has the block been skimmed, because a standard 2ltr piston sits 7 tho down the block. Do you still have the raised "D" section on the piston ?

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

i would have to check but im fairly certain that they are flush, but ill have to check with the DTI.

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Hi there mate, from what I remember I skimmed the 1.35mm off the top faces of the piston so it'll sit in the right place in relation to the block(where the std. 1 sat) I'm sure we had a chat regarding the bowl, in that I only removed something like .8mm.
    Now in theory, working it out on a compression caluclator, with an un=skimmed head you should have 10.6/10.8:1.
    If you need to go higher, skim the head down. The 8v is a non interference head so you'll be fine.
    Although, to improve squish, I'd get the block decked. The compressed thickness of the gasket is around 51thou so the D of the piston face can go into the gasket area by at least 20thou if you want to err on the side of caution :)

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

thanks mart you saved me a few jobs, like i said its going together again, and it will be in the car ready to go in a month of so.

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Just a quicky, if you're going to use the metal VW gasket, and you want to raise the compression a little, then you can remove the rivets(carefully as you'll need them again so don't drill them) and remove a layer of the sandwich. I can't remember how thick the thinest one is, but it'll raise it a little without any machining :)

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

nice tip! ill have a look!