The M3 itch...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by PhatVR6, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I bought the 328 I linked to in the end! Bargain price!

Phenomenal car for what I paid, 635 will be up for sale this week

2. Stu__8vgti Forum Member

They do go well don't they:)

There's a guy on BMWOwner called alpina527, he does the conversions if you want to de-restrict it or will give advice if you want to do it yourself

3. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

remove the inlet manifold and fit a 325 one?

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

and the TB off a 325 and you got a good horse power increase, also mod the airbox golf gti style and possible decat 230bhp is not unrealistic.

5. Stu__8vgti Forum Member

Something needs to be done to the traction control as well, not sure what is done though will have to ask on the bm forum.

They say normally between 210-225 with just the inlet and TB, think the guy on the forum was charging around 500 all in

6. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I certainly wouldn't pay 500 as i'm sure i can gather the parts for far less and DIY

Not overly bothered about tuning any more and the 635 'might' be sorted tomorrow if the relay works. I'll be stuck for choice then:

635 Csi
    328i Coupe
    Mk1 Gti 16v

or Volvo 460 2.0i haha

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

lol, your worst than me Gareth

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

you should be called 8carnick, and it should be gareth7

9. ianb Forum Member

Haven't been on here for a while but thought I'd join in on this as I sold by Edition 30!

Now I'm in the BMW fold as I've recently acquired a E46 330 sport fully loaded with manual box.

Lovely car with low miles and was a bargain as researching them I managed to find a good low mileage full main dealer serviced example.

This is a stop gap car which reveals what I've been missing (RWD).
    I was looking at E36 M3's and viewed one with problems and rust and so walked away....it was cheap so you need to be very selective.

Good ones are out there though and they seem that the early 3 litre varients have less Vanos issues.

The 330 is a nice compromise and is a bit like a VR6 in it's delivery with a nice deep burble but the chassis is beautifully balanced.

This is a big change for me but I wanted a change from VAG and something with RWD for a change.

I had considered the 330d with a remap but pre 2003 cars with the 184 suffer turbo problems and other issues and the 204bhp units suffer from other issues which put me off in particular the swirl flaps in the inlet manifold which fail and can fall into the engine!!

E36 M3 with a few careful mods would make a cracking track car though!!

Ian

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

Bump of an old thread but whilst bored read more about these cars given how cheap they are now, but the running costs seem to be not exactely much more than any other car.

In fact some owners reckon on numerous sites that their commute to work see's them 25-30mpg which i thought is very impressive and then the cars are known to last as long as they've been looked after.

Has anyone taken the plunge for a cheap m3 with a few miles on it?

11. 1982.rpd Forum Member

12. 16valver Forum Member

Yes :thumbup:

13. e12_mat Forum Member

Buy an E46 if you can run to it, better interior and fantastic engine although on a tank test I average around 16.2mpg,

That is driving with a bit of spirit mind.

The thing I found so different from my golf was how much power the M3 can put down before it looses traction!

Fairly bullet proof as well!

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

My 635 is up for sale on the eBay, a guy came to look at it today and he turned up in an M6. Now that is a car!!!!

15. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

16. TimE-J Forum Member

I would have thought that 22-30mpg would be pritty good considering the weight of the car and size of the engine. Ive got an audi coupe as a daily driver and even though its only the 2L 8v with quite a bit of spirited driving ill only just about get 300 miles from 70.

Ive driven quite a few e36 and recently i drove a 232 2.5 with nearly 180k and it drove like a new car, really solid feel on the road.

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Difference between an E36 and E46 cost wise is a fair bit plus with something like a cheaper E36 i'll probably service myself etc so wouldn't worry too much about loosing any money by not having it service by a garage.

As for mpg i expect them with to be as low as any car with that kind of performance but just shocked seeing how a car of that kind can achieve 25-30mpg on a day to day casual as thats pretty much not far off what i get in the mk4 [:s]

18. G-Man Forum Junkie

19. 1982.rpd Forum Member

20. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

what's a 232 2.5?