THE Mk2 Golf Definitive Wide Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by A.N. Other, Aug 17, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cool, yeah you might find normal 4 stud discs fit but the offset is pretty different so it could end up hittign the bearign carrier. if you look here:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g3brakes.php

you'll see 5 stud discs are pretty much flat!

2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

3. HummuH Forum Member

Guys, bit of help if you can. Looking to widetrack my 4 stud Corrado G60.

Got the offer of a Mk3 VR6 for not a lot of cash. From reading the OP, I'm assuming I can take everything I need to go 5 stud/wide from the VR?

Is that right?

Cheers.

4. rubjonny

yes

HummuH likes this.
  5. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Does anyone have the lengths of the various tie-rods ?

I`m trying to find the lengths of the ones I have. I had 2 PAS racks from a MK3, but you can see below, they had different tie-rod lengths and I want to know which is which :)
    [​IMG]

6. rubjonny

hmm! this explains why mine were faaaar too long. I just ordered MK3 pas ones from random seller on ebay.

Let me do some ElsaWin digging, I'll only be able to find the left hand track rod lengths in there but this may give us some clues

edit: aha, AVS brings up the goods:
    Power Steering, Left/Right - 369mm
    Power Steering, Left/Right (LHD models with ZF steering rack only) - 363mm

edit2: ETKA suggests GTI and non-GTI track rods (with ends) are different part numbers, but no mention of this on AVS. the ends are same for all MK2/3 manual or pas...

edit3: Elsa says the rods should be adjusted to 406 1 mm regardless if trw or zf, and regardless of gti or 4 stud. So I dont think thats right at all since the track rods come in 2 lengths for ZF and TRW if AVS are to be believed? Not sure if my experience with the track rod beign too long for stock adjustment figure is relavant as the shop was abit shifty so they could have been anything, passat perhaps :lol:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  7. Mr Sellars New Member

Can you still use mk2 steering column with with mk3 gti steering rack?

Dan

8. rubjonny

yes, you need the MK3 UJ matched to the rack though as its a different spline to the MK2

9. kirstent2004 New Member

Hi All,
    I have a 96 TDI 1Z Passat siting on the drive - engine out - its been a donor car for my T4 TDI project.
    It is 4 stud - with 16v GTI - 250 ish brakes - with seperate caliper and carrier. it also has Rear discs - are there any measurements i can do that would help this thread.
    I noticed the table has a 1Z TDI passat as having rear drums - mine has discs - not sure if it will help.
    Just ask if you need.

10. MickyMashup New Member

I want NARROW track 5 stud on my mk2 gti for some tuck..

I know this can be done as pal done it yeeears ago, but he cant remember the exact parts needed to put it all together to make it work.. have asked in many places, with varied answers and got this far

Late spec mk2 uprights/ bearing carriers, G60 280 mm callipers and carriers, b3 passat VR6 280mm discs, and mk3 gti/vr6 non abs 5x100 hub/flange

BUT, I am not sure on the shaft side of things?? will the mk2 cv be ok in the mk3 flange? or do I need the mk3 cv?? if o will the mk3 cv fit onto my mk2 drive shaft??

this is what I want.[​IMG]

11. rubjonny

you need mk2 gti shafts with 5 stud outer cvs. makes no odds if the flanges have abs or not just remove the abs trigger wheel if it has one attached. Or just leave it on even ;)

12. Coldforged Forum Member

I wonna wide track my early 16v Corrado but keep it 4 stud. I'm doing a 1.8t 20v conversion at the moment.
    If I go down the passat route, will I just need subframe, Arb, wishbones and rack?

13. TUBDUB Forum Member

And track rods fella, but yeah you got it!

14. rubjonny

passat subframe wont fit a corrado, just need the wishbones to make it wide track. also dont need the rack either, just change the track rods.

easier to use mk3 4 stud parts as more widely available, plus the access holes in the wishbones line up to the subframe bolts. passat subframe mountign bolts are further apart hence the access holes are moved on passat wishbones

15. joeshaw123 New Member

Sorry for the old thread bump, I'm a long time lurker! I know these questions have been around for a long time but I couldn't quite find a definitive YES/NO answer for my query!

I've got a mk2 8v, bog standard. I've got a late mk3 VR6 donor car (OBD2, 288mm brakes).
    I want wide track, with 4x100, but can't be bothered to amass any parts off other cars - I want to use what I have.

My question is - Can I use all the mk3 front running gear, bones, shafts, hubs, brakes, but convert it to 4 stud by fitting a new 4x100 flange, for example, from my 8v mk2, and use the corresponding 8v outer CV joint fitted to the wider VR6 driveshafts, and then redrill the 288mm disks to suit?

All help appreciated, thanks.

16. rubjonny

yes, but check the wheels you want will fit over the brakes. the trouble with the 5 stud is the discs are almost totally flat, which gives less clearance between the caliper and the wheel. and spacers generally will push the wheels out too far to fit once you've also gone widetrack as well!

17. joeshaw123 New Member

Thanks for your help.

I must admit I did notice the much flatter bell on the disk. I've got some 15" BBS RAs on my mk2... and I believe these are rubbish for brake clearance so I might have to address that. I'm not trying to run a ridiculous 8+j wheel on the front though so I will hopefully have a little room if a spacer is required, whatever wheels I end up with!

Cheers.

18. joeshaw123 New Member

Oo, also, does it matter what car I purchase the wheel bearing to suit? If I use the reg from my mk2 to buy the 8v flange, outer CV and wheel bearing then that should all be fine shouldn't it?

19. rubjonny

the bearing itself is the same for the 88 onwards mk2 and mk3 4/5 stud, but the kit of parts you get with it differs slightly.

most fo the bits are the same (circlips etc) but the 4 stud kit will have the right locknut for the end of the shaft, but it wont have the nut for the end of the 5 stud ball joint. Depends what you prefer either way :lol:

20. joeshaw123 New Member

I'll probably ruin the ball joints anyway when I remove the hub from them - best get some replacements ready!

Cheers for your help, I knew this was the right place to ask.