The New Golf GTI

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Phil, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Seen this ;) ?

Edited by: Phil

2. Andy665 Forum Member

God thats expensive, where are VW geting there prices from, makes a A3 3.2 look like good value.

Another thing, why the hell is the DSG gearbox only available on the 5 door - I think VW have totally lost the plot

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Why the f**k is the DSG only available on 5 door models?? And a 5 door?? Well that shows Vws pooe pre-launch announcements of making the 3 door different in appearance with shorter overhangs and a more sporty feel total bullpoo!!

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just priced up a low spec model with an armrest, 18" rims and heated seats. 23k what a joke!!

5. superden Forum Addict

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

Direct shift gearbox only available on 5 door?? why? [:s]

EDIT: read this ages ago when there were no replies and no-one had mentoined DS gearbox before :lol:
    Edited by: darrynK

7. S1MMA Forum Member

god you lot moan so much, you just want them to sell a Factory MK2 with the 200bhp lump and you'll be happy.

I think it'll be a great car to drive, 200bhp with a great base chassis (speaking from experience having done about 1000miles in a mk5, not driving a mk2 my whole life) and decent standard kit.

I think it's priced well within the market it sits in, and have you actually priced up an audi A3 3.2 with leather etc... cos I have in a dealership and it was very funny how much it came to. They're 24k+ standard which you can add at least 3-4k to when its a decent spec. I mean, would you drive a 3.2 without leather/sat nav, etc...

Only part I dont like is the black rear valence, but then it looks ok when the car's black, and the factory sports rear bumper is colour coded so i'd just get that!

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

Excuse me boys - who the f**k wants and arm rest and an automatic gear box in a GTI?!?!?!?!?!? [:-B]

VW Claims this car to be the new GTI with its driving appeal - not for its added luxury extras!

The spec I would have works out at 21290 - that isnt too bad.

We all knew the price of the New GTI would start at around 20000, so why you lot are surprised is beyond me!

BTW - compare that to the price of an A3 with 2.0 FSI Turbo engine (if they did one!!) and you would be looking at another 2000 on top!
    Edited by: Rob.gti

9. Andy665 Forum Member

Hmmm, Civic Type-R at 16k, Leon Cupra R at 18k, Golf GTi at 20k, love someone to show me how the Golf is worth such apremium. The Mk V's I've been haven't felt anything like as well built as previous versions, VW don't seem to know where to take the GTi brand - maybe they should pay attention to forums like this
    Edited by: Andy665

10. Rob.gti Forum Member

If VW had paid attention to forums like this - they would have gone bust. Enthusiasts do demand more from a car, but everyday joe doesnt. VW have to build cars to appeal to the masses - unfortunate but true.

Civic Type R is a good car, I have driven one, but wasnt impressed. The SEAT Cupra R is okay, but build quality and materials do let it down.

VW will always charge a premium. But wait a few months and you will get 1000 discount of the list price, thats what has happened with the current MK5 range. Initial lauch will always be expensive

11. 2TonCartoon Forum Member

without sat nav ? yep, I know where I'm going,I'm hurtling down this road ;)

without leather ? yep, makes your arse sweat ;)

price seems to be about as expected, dubs have always been a little pricey.
    Edited by: 2TonCartoon

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The Mk4 anniversary was only 19k approx, and that came with 6 disc, 18" rims etc as standard.

Its seems like they have ramped up prices and reduced spec.

13. Rob.gti Forum Member

The Anni was a limited edition and offere very little optional extras. (i.e. no xenons, no leather/alcantara etc)

The price is more expensive than the MK4 GTI - but then its all relative. Most new cars are more expensive than the cars they replace - not just VW's

Over the past 10 years all manufacturers have been under pressure to reduce prices to bring them inline with Europe. They have done this - now with the launch of a new car they have the perfect excuse to put them back up.

I still dont concider the Golf GTI that expensive. Its about right for the targetted market. Its sure to undercut anything from the BMW 1 Series

14. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

Looks nice, but came to 24k+ with the options I'd want [:$]

Think my next car's going to be a '99 Audi S4 :) Half the price ;)

15. hayesey Forum Junkie

the options I went for - the standard thing but with Diamond black paint as the only option came to 20,330. I don't think that's too bad to be honest. for a 200ps car that looks nice. Quite like the look of the GTI in black. No too keen on the alloys that come on it. If it were possible I'd have it on steelies & buy my own alloys.

If I was in the market for a 20k brand new car then this would be high up my list.

I might buy one in 5 years time!

16. vrooooom Forum Member

Ain't the R32 version out in 2007 or something??

The GTI ain't that expensive if you compare it against the A3 3.2 quattro and the BMW 1 series (where everything is an optional extra at cost!!)

Just a thought, aren't we paying stupid prices for houses??? So in comparison the increase in car prices is nowt!!

Got gti to 21,335. Now where's my visa card!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Footwell illumination!!!!!!!! Cool!!!! Now i'll be able to find my phone when i drop it at night!!! [:D] [:D]

Edited by: vrooooom

17. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

I speced mine up at.

Shadow Blue Metallic and Folding Wing Mirrors.

No leather.

18. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I'll wait for the R32/36.
    Happy with my car for the two years until it's released.
    Mk5 seems even heavier - WHY don't VW do some weight saving? The technology exists!

19. Guests Banned

i think that they are aiming it at the focus rs/scoobydoo impreza/mitsi evo market. we have just got to wait to see how it rates against them. compared to the competition it is suitably priced.

20. Rallye Forum Junkie

200bhp aint gunna cut it IMHO