The New Golf GTI

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Phil, Aug 12, 2004.

1. 2TonCartoon Forum Member

WTF ? make some joke about why I wouldn't want certain optional extras, and you read that to be I'm king of the feckin pikeys. [8(]

poo you got me there [8(] only driven the bro-in-law's 3 series csi a couple of times, so hardly extensive knowledge, no sat nav, and no, the leather seats didn't make my arse sweat ;)

If only the CSA would stop knickin me benefit to pay for me 15 lil pikey b@st@rds eh. [:s]

Making bit of an assumption there mate. I don't spend that much time in the car, its purely for fun and stress relief, a few hours per week when I have the time.

Now to obtain this fun, do I sit around in traffic breathing in fumes if I open the window, so AC would be an advantage ? no.

Do I drive around strange unfamiliar places where sat nav could be a good option ? no.

Maybe I "drive" around quiet roads, where pollution isn't a problem (apart from the faint whiff of mountain sheep sh1t ), and around country side I've spent my whole life wandering around and know pretty well. So you see I don't really have a need for those options.

Oh and If I need to go somewhere I haven't been before I use road signs or a feckin map, admittedly if I had to do it everyday, then sat nav would be a good option.

Leather seats, while they do look good, I wouldn't choose because they'd get replaced by a msport seat because they meet my requirements better. i.e. So my sweaty arse didn't end up getting impaled on the handbrake when I completely feck the corner up, call me unadventurous if you like, but I have a strict policy of one way traffic when it comes to my arse ;).

Great car, never driven one ,but I'd go for which ever feckin M3 interior I felt met my needs.

Bentley, impressive car, but what the hell do I want a gas guzzling bus for, think the money would be better used doing a couple of seasons of single seater or some other racing. Hey you started with the fantasy sh1t.

Guess I'm lucky then, my arse doesn't get frozen in winter as I cross the landing on the way to work, boiler's on timer. But your right , should I need to drive, heated seats would be great, or maybe I can let the car run for 10 mins to warm up.

Well that's certainly something for us pikey "window opening" feckers to aspire to.;)

So you see, optional extra's are just that, bits you like or find useful, not an indication of your worth in life, all depends on what you use the car for.

2. 2TonCartoon Forum Member

:lol: ;)

3. Dubya Forum Junkie

I think you have answered your own question there mate. The majority of people who buy the GTi are gonna buy it because the badge on the back is better than that of their neighbour's. Therefore, they are gonna want the arm rest and the auto 'box, because that is better than their neighbours.

I think that comparing the GTi to Audi's A3 3.2 is flawed, as the GTi hasn't been the top dog golf since the VR6 was released. The R32/36 should be comparable to the A3 3.2, but the GTi is bound to be cheaper, and not as good.

That's gonna kinda rule the golf out then too, because I can't see them not selling.

4. Yorkie Forum Member

Rotary engines do not drink (as in burn) oil like most people think. They just need a more regulaur oil change than most cars. I don't really see a problem with this, after all it is a sports car and not a family hatchback. However they aren't amazingly torgueie engines and fuel consumption is a bit higher, but not as bad as they used to be.

I've never driven one, so I wouldn't know about the handling, but I do remember Jeremy Clarkson enjoying himself on his TopGear review.

Cheers

Jamie

5. Rob.gti Forum Member

Fair point, but the Golf wins every time.

The MINI is a bit of a girls car (and yes I did own one! [:$] ) and extremely impractical for us family guys :lol: