The Reeves Mk1 - 2006/7 rebuild, Spa vid p18, Ring trip p24, PVW cover car Jan 2011

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by A.N. Other, Aug 2, 2006.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The rear wing was removed late 2004 - it went on eBay, so it's deffo gone. 'Bit boy racery' was the comment!

Heater's definitely staying Mike - the cars are used year round, so no sense in removing and risking mist-ups (and when it doesn't work, it's a cold place to be - I speak from experience!)

You're right about the drag off the rear valance. It has been trimmed up, but I think there's still a lip there (though anymore off and it would start to look shabby). The car did have ally panels under there at some stage, but then the exhaust and battery were moved to their current locations and it was removed and not re-worked - certainly a thought to try and replace it...

Much as one of these would be luvvvverly [:D] :

[​IMG]

The diffuser, not the car! We do GTIs here!!!

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

Can you do me one favour Chris if Mr Reeves doesn't mind, i would like a closer pic of the area where the rose joints are on the diagonal bars he added to the centre of the rear beam & at the joint at the other end where it joins the bottom of the rear suspension [:$] for future reference mate.

Thanks so far Chris.

Loads of VW wings in here from the Berg Cup cars that work & are not for show:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v90/fthaimike/BergCup/

Edit:
    If he had to Chris he could take a chunk out either side on the rear panel in between the bumper holes (like the 2 holes at the front of a mk1) & put some mesh over it which would look ok.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  3. vduben Forum Member

is the exhaust staying the original shape to keep the power or can it be made so it went straight dwn the middle, there for releasing a bit of drag??

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

tbh, fairly straightforward: 2 x 3mm steel brackets on the centre fixing point, and the outers are built on inverted towers boxed in around the shocker mount, with a captive thread in there to bolt the rose joints through. Can't remember the tube dia. but the starting point is an M12 rose joint + insert, inside the tube, chosen solely because it's as per Mk3 Kit Car catalogue on here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Thanks Chris.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The exhaust needs to run that route to get around the tank which wasn't in when the pic was taken, and then around the axle mods, so it's more driven by what space is left.

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

hows the progress on this?

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

It's going to be in the TRC mag also Bill with 2 starting pics this month (Chris is saving the best pics from us :lol: ).

9. mexicorich Forum Member

Forgive me for being a bit thick but what's the percieved gain from the strut bars on the back axle?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think they'll be cracking on with it Wed/Thurs/Fri next week - the company that's doing it has had a lot on lately - enough to mean that short bursts of input haven't been enough to think around fiddly aspects of the build.

Controls axle toe flex under high load, retaining a more consistent contact patch.

11. D7_MOD New Member

absolutely awesome need to mop up my drool now

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

Chris,

Excellent info thanks to yourself and to Maurice for sharing with us.

With regard to keeping the original fuel tank, I notice the point re. cost of a bag tank but there are much cheaper fuel cells (foam filled) available ... is there a feeling that the original tank provides positive weight distribution, also I assume it`s baffled somehow ?

13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Is this really only neccessary for hi speed , hi grip levels , track action? Orwould it be noticeable on the road?

Oh and delighted to see the car being rebuilt...remember seeing this in CCC and thinking...WOW!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No probs - dealing with pics & hosting is so easy these days, so hopefully a winner for all really.

The tank is still where it is due to the evolvement of the car really. It was a Slick 50 car back in the day, was then bought up by Maurice sometime in '97 IIRC, and it's just never been moved from there. It's still the std tank with the OE swirl pot inside.

I'd agree it's not in a bad place weight-wise, though the fuel wooshing from side to side wouldn't be ideal from a pernickety prep point of view. Moving it is doable though isn't the plan - what sort of fig can foam filleds can be got for out of interest?

I honestly don't think you'd notice it on the road tbh.

15. jamesa Forum Junkie

Chris,

I`ve an AH Fabrications `D` shaped cell (6.2 gall) in the spare wheel well; a Facet Red Top pump then feeds a 1ltr swirl pot which feeds the standard inj. pump / accumulator. All this fits inside the `well` and is covered by an ally lid. The tank vent line runs up into the top of the offside rear wheelarch and includes a non return `roll over` valve.

All the lines now run inside and originals are removed.

Tank price per DT is now 290; swirl pot 100; pump 80.

AH do sell direct and can be cheaper than DT, I did not pay the DT prices as items were sourced by `another`.

AH - 01432 354704 / email ahfabrications@mac.com

My reason for doing this was to carry a smaller fuel load. I was having to carry a 50% load to prevent the `sloshing` from starving the pump on right handers - a pain on the tight corners of the hills / sprint tracks. Fitted a Lifeline extinguisher system at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good info Andrew - not too outrageous really.

TRC current month scan as mentioned on the other thread, courtesy of mk1g60turbo:

[​IMG]

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

Any more good shells going Chris? ;)

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

An update with a few more photos…

Oil cooler plumbing now complete – DT-sourced hosing & crimped fittings btw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pacet CF55 fan now in:

[​IMG]

Dash in:

[​IMG]

Cut neatly at the corners for a good fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adjust boost (right), watch results (left):

[​IMG]

Gearshift mechanism in (similar to Mk4 Golf, but IIRC Mk3/4 Seat Ibiza in this case, since cables are shorter), raised on tower to put lever in better place:

[​IMG]

Single wiper now – just driver’s side – passenger side bit has been cut off and new mount added to support:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mini-derived brake bias adjuster, as referred to on several threads on CGTI. Works in a totally different way to the usual AP/Wilwood/Tilton levers and very effective:

[​IMG]

Remote servo for hydraulic clutch – makes the pedal super light, an owner preference:

[​IMG]

Bit of floor tidying: remnants of old seat rail crossmembers have been spot-weld drilled off and belt-sanded flat:

[​IMG]

OE seat rails now gone:

[​IMG]

Tin roof supports went a while ago (x2 IIRC) – high up weight, kicked into touch:

[​IMG]

The garage has been fairly busy over the Christmas/New Year, so some progress, but other work’s been keeping the guys busy. They're doing a great job though [:D]

[​IMG]

I’ve got an interesting video of the car when in old 2 litre 16V TB’d form which I’ll put up later. A bit of a retrospective – for those that missed it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Nice update, and interesting to see them using the mk4 Golf stlye shifter, did the car used to have one of those motorsport type shifters in the past?

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

cool, thanks chris