The story begins....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IanH, Sep 15, 2010.

1. IanH Forum Member

Some of you may or may not know from other posts that I have made that I am a very big guy, and not in the good way either!! ;) As such after a lifetime of failed diets and short lived fitness spurts I decided about 10 months ago to seek some surgical assistance, and finally yesterday after months of jumping through hoops I have my surgery date!!! :thumbup: It came as a bit of a shock as i was expecting towards the end of the year, but the date I am having it is the 26th October! Amazing...:o

So here it starts I guess. I am having my pre surgery meeting on Monday which will set out my diet plan for before, and after surgery. (i.e. how long I need to be on a liquid diet before surgery to shrink my liver, and how to move back towards solid foods in the weeks/months after etc.) The nerd in me will keep you updated with my weight progress once I start on the diet process, as I don't know about you but I am interested in how this surgery actually works in the real world away from the gossip stories you read in the papers/magazines.

Makes all that lightening that I did on my old track car project slightly worthless now! :lol: That reminds me, winter is on its way so I shall be back in the garage with my 16v soon too. :thumbup:

Wish me luck! ;)

Ian...

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Wishing you luck Ian :thumbup:

- but also I'm confused. It was you I took around the 'Ring in the Mk1 back in Aug?

3. johnmk3 Forum Member

good luck mate, is it a gastric band you're having?

friend of mine had that done last year / year before and she lost shed loads of weight both before and after but now she'll sit at home and eat 2 dominos and a whole tub of ice cream

dont let that happen as fairly sure she's going to burst her band soon!

4. prof Forum Addict

eeek that's drastic, very much a last resort thing. Being too big can be easily fixed, happy to help if you want

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I agree. How big are you? Surgery is a little drastic and not to mention dangerous. Anything can be achieved with determination, discipline and good advice.

Good luck though!!!

6. IanH Forum Member

Unfortunetly the human body doesn't work that way when you get to my size (30+ Stone), as once you are in this scale the stomach just doesn't shrink back after you lose weight. i.e. you may lose all the weight you want, but you will spend the rest of you life hungry, and evenetually you WILL slip of the wagon. This is of the reasons (And don't get me wrong not the only reason) that once I lose say three stones, I always put 4 back on again. :(

This is literally a final resort, and something that I have thought about for 2 years now. I pulled out of the surgery about 18-24 months ago as I wasn't convinced I needed it and after going on a fitness and diet spree with both a dietician, and a personal trainer I lost loads of weight, but after a few months I just slipped off the wagon again and put it all plus a few friends back on again.

A gastric band itself does not solve your weight problems on its own, it just assists. If you don't control yourself as well, they will just not work and in the end can be bad for you.

Chris: Wasn't me i am afraid. You would have known if it was by the Mk1 scraping on the ground around the track! ;)

Ian...

7. prof Forum Addict

30+ stone, bet you have some great leg muscles mate. What were the causes of falling off the wagon? there are lots of different ways of changing your body the secret is finding one that you can stick to.

8. IanH Forum Member

And I shall be using many of them in the future! The problem is in not changing your body shape, the problem is in hunger. Imagine you spent every minute of your waking life hungry, you eat your normal breakfast/lunch/diner but you are still hungry. This is what it is like once you get to my size, and then lose a lot of weight. Your body shrinks, but your stomach doesn't. So instead of it being the size of around about a large apple, it is about the size of a melon. This hunger doesn't go away, and this is one of the reasons (There are more of course) that eventually 98% of clinically obese people will put the weight back on again.

I hoped really hoped I was one of those 2% when I was first told about this scenario 2 years ago, and is one of the reasons I pulled out of the surgery originally. After 12 months of working, and failing at it reality dawned on me.[8(]

Please don't think that I am using this as a short cut, like certain TV celebs I could name, I am using this to help me stay alive as at 32 years old and 30+ stone the maths for my life are not to hard to work out.

Ian...

P.S. I have the leg muscles of an elephant!!! :p

9. prof Forum Addict

man sounds tough, ever tried any hypnosis or NLP stuff?

10. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

All the best dude. Hope it works out and isnt too difficult.

11. IanH Forum Member

The cynic in me always made me avoid hypnosis etc, but if I had been refused for surgery for some reason I would have probably given them a shot to be honest.

Ian...

12. prof Forum Addict

The hunger should have eventually settled down naturally unless you have something fundamentally wrong like Prad Willis [sp] Syndrome. But I imagine your doctor has checked out all your basic hormones etc.

what sort of stuff did the dietician get you to eat? or stop eating

13. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

All the best with this Ian. You could do a sort of build thread / or UNbuild thread as it goes. I'm not being horrible and nasty here as I think it may bolster you up a bit if you think we are all giving you encouragement. A diary of events if you like. If you have tried with diet and excercise in a proper manner then it may be genetic. Are your olds (ark at me , I'm an old) on the large side as well?

As I say well done and we are with you all the way.

14. prof Forum Addict

there's rarely anything genetic found. It's mostly habit. Large people often grew up around large parents and learned eating habits from them. Some people use food to cheer themselves up etc.

everyone loses weight when calories are reduced, it's just that apart from wartime experiments, there's never any really accurate recording of what people eat. Diet studies are based on self report. And most people don't tell the truth about what they eat.

Good luck with the surgery mate, and if there's anything we can do to help just shout

15. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

The reason I say that is that me old dad was a short round type of person and I am too. In fact the spitting image of him. But it is true to say that when I'm doing building work or gardening work in my spare time the weight falls off but never to the extent that I change my basic shape. I am of course a handsome creature with no flaws at all so I dont mind carrying a few pounds over from time to time. I'm proud of Ian already for wanting to do something about it all.

16. gtijon Forum Member

Good luck with it. Not going to suggest XY&Z as most folks think pretty hard before they go under the knife :thumbup:

Got to be better than carrying on heavy and ending up practically housebound in your 40s or 50s. Your knees will thank you! :lol:

17. prof Forum Addict

you can change your body shape drastically, bar growing taller, it's not easy but entirely possible

just most folk don't do the right things or be consistant with their behaviour. I was scrawny as hell for years until I read the right stuff and acted on it, now I'm a superhero ;):lol:

Lad at work lost 11 stone becoming slimmer of the year in the process.

The db on here changed himself drastically and there's pics to prove it somehow

just takes hard work

18. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Good luck, Ian. I think you're being brave facing surgery like that and I hope it succeeds for you.

19. turbotommy Forum Member

The best of luck Ian :thumbup: Please keep me informed of your progress :)
    Wether you decide to go with the band or not,and no matter what your size is,you'll alway be a Gentleman in my eyes m8 ;)

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Brave decision Ian, as long as you can stick to the foods after the diet.
    My cousin is probably 2 stone lighter than you, he was put on that slimming tablet "Alli" by his doctor, basically stops your body absorbing fats. Didn't think it would work, until he had a pizza the second night of taking them and had to rush off and sh*t orange grease for about half an hour. He's lost a good bit, but has a good bit to go!