The truth about the VR6 Swap

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by shaz8389, Feb 10, 2010.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Right I see alot of these about and as far as swaps go they're pretty plug and play on the Mk2 these days what with all the bits that are out there.

The question for me is handling.

With the correct (and when I say correct, I query what they are) handling mods can you keep the pace with a similarly fettled Mk2 ABF or will it always fall behind the 16v swap in the handling department?

I suppose I better prepare for the 16v vs. VR6 debate.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Really this has been debated time & again.

Is it worth picking up a previous thread? Have a search for 5 mins and see what comes up.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Whenever I see a VR6 thread it seems like it's a boat anchor debate. I've always thought this but Jonny said that if you set them up right the handling is actually pretty awesome, I just wanted some opinions from VR6 owners with the proper wide track and stuff like that.

You driven a few I suspect Chris?

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Weight difference between an ABF and VR6 is negligeable really. The only problem with the VR6 is that it sits further forward in the engine bay. So the weight distribution is a little more forward.

I have owned 2, and with the right setup they are perfectly fine handling Mk2s. Move battery to boot if you are concerned.

As has been stated, there are tonnes of Mk2 VR6 threads out there discussing all the pros and cons.

Would i own a Mk2 VR6 again? 100% yes!!

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

as much as i am an abf fan over a vr6 - a mk2 vr6 will undoubtably be a more 'special' car.

6. smp1987 Forum Member

Search the forum for 5mins a chris said no pint it starting another thread on something that is been talked about over and over again

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

with one running right it ought to be a bit of an animal. ive only ever come across a few on the road, two were running dodgy and were only just quicker than my mk3 and they didnt even want to play about in the twisty bits, the other was GVK's car and that thing left me like a stabbed rat. get it right and its a serious piece of kit

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I can't wait to get mine running right!! The last one was a beast (once that was running right)

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Absolutely, mine was awesome. 196bhp and 210lb ft on standard engine/internals. If id have kept it, id have changed the FD on the box and it would have been even quicker. It was an OBD1 on coilpack too. Something special about that engine there was.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i dont think yours was at the RR day i was at with gvk back in 2007, but relatively standard vr6s were making 180-190 odd and GVK's (i know its stripped but that wont make THAT much difference in a straight line) but his absolutely fooked off down the road. where ive had a "play" with other mk2 VR6s that werent in top shape, they werent that spectacular (one was popping and banging on the over run etc the other was driven by a girl..)

as much as i like ABFs (like Leon) a VR in a mk2 would be fantastic!

11. prof Forum Addict

ably and matt put deakos engine into a very tidy shell, not sure if it has a couple of ko3s on it now?

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

There is no doubting that VR6 power and torque in a mk2 makes for a quick car in a straight line. I certainly think that any extra weight over the oem setup forward of the axle will be detrimental to the handling though;) That can't really be disputed.

Whilst the engine install may be relatively easy, there is more to a decent mk2 VR conversion than that. Correct spring, damper and ARB choice is essential as well as careful thought about the brakes, F.D, slip diff and putting the car on a diet.

Done properly, it can make for a very swift and competent track car as GVKs shows. His has been developed over a period of time though....

Compared to a top spec 2L valver I suspect it would be swings and roundabouts against a decent VR conversion.. What the valver loses out to the VR in power/torque it would make up for with more nimble handling and being kinder on brakes and tyres.

The key to it is doing the conversion properly and not just thinking about the engine:thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  13. gillm

gillm ***** User

i must admitt on a twisty road a micra could be all over my mk2 vr , but tbh mine was a bit of a show queen , but in a straight line im sure it will show some better cars a few tricks .

like lukes mine is just under 200bhp and sounds fantastic !

14. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I'd never do it again without wide tracking it.

and for thise who say it'll never handle...I'll raise you a Corrado VR6, still regarded as one of the best handling FWD cars ever built, and a mk2 isn't a million miles away chassis wise.

15. gillm

gillm ***** User

thats a fair point paul raddos are great handling cars

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

The only one iv ever been out in is GVK's and its epic tbh, seemed to break the laws of physics with that lump up front and the way it griped with no sign of the front going wide, but as said its a really well developed car plus it was on R888 and has a lsd which was a first for me.

17. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

If I was to do the swap I'd want the proper wide track without a doubt for a couple of reasons, first would be it's handling benefits and the MK3 setup seems to have more options for bigger brakes.

My concern does seem to be the location of the weight. Is there options on the angle of the engine being mounted at certain angles or does that make little difference.

I don't plan on going to track events really but I would like to have decent handling when I nail it on a windy road (that's the fun of it after all). I don't want a million horse powers or anything, 200BHP is the approximate goal post engine swap, driving a 100BHP mk2 is fun at the moment anyway so it's definatley not a car that needs loads of power to be fun.

The other issue is of course on the motorway, I've heard on Vortex people using a Diesel final drive and stuff like that, as it's going to be a daily driven car I'm curious about what they're like as a motorway cruiser.

Overall so far I think for my driving style and obviously daily use I might be happier with an ABF swap, it looks like, from a mounting point of view it's a more straight forward swap and there's obviously a reason it's getting very popular in the Mk2.

18. paultownsend Forum Member

i wish id had put a vr6 in rather than the abf. just as simple wiring wise, and alot more tunable.
    i would get a rear ended or rusted mk3 or passat. drop in the whole front subframe and rear beam (mk3). youd have a widetracked, properly damped/sprung, properly braked mk2.
    id bet you could get it in for 500 if too much didnt need replacing. the only thing i would find challenging is the hydro clutch conversion

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I knew that's what was putting me off, I would keep a mk2 16v gearbox in an ABF swap, the hydro clutch sounds like a right headache...

Any way around having to do it other than biting the bullet and using a Corrado or Passat pedal box?

All in all the swap doesn't sound like it's THAT hard, Vortex do it on a daily basis or something.

20. paultownsend Forum Member

can the seat cable clutch conversion be used on these? you have to swop the tower over as well. ballache!