The unloved GTI - my mk3 16v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by MJA, Mar 18, 2022.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good stuff, take a pic of your 3 pin fan switch plug and we can ID which one you need. if you bought the std mk2 inline spade type you probably need the later mk3 roundy plug one 1H0959481B though

MJA likes this.
  2. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers matey, this is the connector. When i was ordering up I looked at it and thought it was the light connector but now have found that stretches over from the driver side.

I think it is the one you say 1H0959481B

20230111_140100.jpg

3. rubjonny

yep thats the one, its for the thermoswitch above :)

4. MJA

Updates - got the sensor for the radiator and put coolant in however found a leak somewhere around the oil cooler. I was pushing my luck with the original one on the car (not sure why the pipes have gone oval as it's still using the oem pipe clips)
    oil cooler old.jpg

Replacement ordered and a week of waiting ...

oil cooler.jpg

Put it all back together and filled with coolant but from somewhere on this pipe.. . . .. still leaking :(

PIpe.jpg

New pipe ordered and you guessed it - i am still waiting. It's coming from Europe somewhere. The curse of old VWs - a shame VW themselves don't stock serviceable parts for their old cars and are available in via the dealer network like Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. Rant over.

Also lost the cap for the top of the brake fluid and now I have moved the car I can't find it. It fell down the back of the engine somewhere and has probably been hoovered up by now.

cap.jpg

In other news I made more progress on the garage and managed to get 2 cars in. The end of the garage isn't finished and will be my office accessible from another external door. It has 100mm of kingspan on the floors and ceiling and 60mm on the walls. The rest of the garage as a mixture of 60mm and sheeps wool insulation.

I also plan to remove the workbench mess and build a new workstation with cupboards across the back of the garage.
    Garage.jpg

I got the mk3 back on the floor whilst waiting for parts and went through all of the bolts on the underside to torque up. I couldn't find my yellow pen to mark bolts in the mess that is my building site garage however I am happy with how clean it looks underneath

underside 1.jpg underside 2.jpg underside 3.jpg

Car is back on the floor and mostly put back together. Very dusty and once running with coolant I'll give it a good wash.

dusty car.jpg

I have a chap circuling to buy it but feel on reflection the price on offer I think is too low for the effort gone - £3200 with MOT. It still needs bonnet and roof painting but other wise the car is rot free with new metal and low miles for it's age - 78k and full refresh underneath and a mini refresh in the engine bay. I don't really need the money (it will only go on another car) but the space would have been nice as I have the mk2 16v to get into the garage and work on so this will live outside (plenty of room outside so space isn't really an issue either!).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    erreesse and AndyBa like this.
  5. BISSONE Forum Member

Yeah I wouldn’t sell it for £3200 given the work, only one person winning in that situation lol. I do believe the 16v’s are going to go up slowly so not a bad thing to hold on to. I may be wrong though that said :lol:

6. MJA

Yeah not sitting right with me. Last year perhaps but looking at what is coming to market for spring 23 sales there has been a bump this year and even 5 doors are more without the work done nor do they have the mileage figure (not that that matters on an old car to me - my other 2 are north of 150k). Sadly joe public do seem to look at the odo reading over anything else so a lot of me thinks sit and hold the car after getting a bit of use out of it seeing as it my only low mileage car. I quite like the car but then I do have a corrado and they are very niche so perhaps that is just me...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  7. MJA

Problem solved. My buyer has bought a salvaged mk2 with GTI engineering bits and is happy (it's all a bit incestual - he used to own my green mk2 too but I didn't buy it from him).

I'm happy that I get to keep it! Worked out for the best in the end.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  8. MJA

After some Sunday support from daNpy (thanks!) Its now running. Taken about a month to get here waiting on parts and 5 coolant flushes later...

Not all good news as fan not kicking in so need to figure that one out next. Rad fan switch is new but actually the ones on side of head are old and I do have replacements here. Will give all connectors a clean up too but giving it a break now for the day.

9. MJA

Success on the fan - I checked fuses (ok) and bridged red/blk and red on fan switch (succees). I had bought two fan switches so swapped it over and let it idle up to 95 (obdeleven) and it kicked in.

Moving forward at least. I have an exhaust leak on where the miltek joins cat. I had a custom piece made but probs a mm too big as cant clamp it down any further.

10. rubjonny

with adaptors make sure you give sizes in mm for VW exhaust parts as they're metric. been there, bought the wrong thing :lol:

the miltec could be metric or imperial, again measure what you have just to be sure

11. MJA

Yeah I see what you mean. I did meausre last time but admittedly on my back under a dark car.... the Miltek is 2.5in so have gone for 55mm (cat pipe) to 57mm on the custom pipe.

Last time i had 55.5 and 58mm.... I might regret change to 55mm this time as the biggest gap is the miltek side.

Still a few odds and sods that take time to achieve

-retumble locks
    -drillout/re tap plastic number plate cover holes
    -put the front all back together properly
    -new number plates
    -small welding job around where the abs sensor passes through the turret
    -paint bonnet and roof.

MOT can happen before some of that list though and at least it can be used after 5 years off the road.

12. MJA

Attached Files: