This happened

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Aug 8, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys, well few months ago my wife got a mk2 cl that we are in the end stages of restoring, few little bits to fit back on now.
    And then this week an advert came up locally for another mk2.
    Went and had a look, 1.6 driver, 1991 model, automatic. 2 owners from new, full service history, original bill of sale, loads of history with it. 93000 miles
    Pretty tidy, few trim bits need sourcing, fuse cover, mirror knob, and has a few scratches on the roof, and little jobs of couple dents, nothing major.
    Came with original 14" steels and set of bbs alloys on it, plus spare gti grille.
    Looks like I've got the new home for the 1.8t engine now, well when I've got few more bits

Attached Files:

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice, hope you paid a decent price for it.

look forward to seeing it tatted up!

3. dodgy

Cheers, was reasonable I think at 1600, needs bit of TLC on front wing, and roof has some scratches, but it is all original.
    Had another look quickly today and needs fusebox cover, front wiper bung, interior mirror knob and one door speaker grille, that's about it.
    Rear parcel shelf is homemade, but we have one off the other mk2 that has speaker holes in, so I'll put some in and that's sorted.
    Replaced back light that was cracked with one that came out the green one too.

4. dodgy

Not been much going on with the auto really except for driving it.
    Have managed to source parts, new wing and valance, fuse cover and mirror knob replaced and got rear discs to upgrade first stage on rear, polo 6n2 hubs, discs, gti cables, mk4 caliper conversion hoses and new bolts.
    Also spent an evening chopping the plates off a polo 9n subframe to mount calipers with 9n3 stub axles.
    Ordered a set of toyo proxes to fit the wheels in shed so hopefully will be on soon.
    Took the vr6 front hubs out of the shed and got the driveshafts out of them, so can clean up ready for the future.
    In other news, mate has just bought an early mk3 gti for parts, and offered me pickings.
    Looks like I've found power steering rack, fuel lines and more.
    280mm calipers are probably going to go on my golf as a g60 style setup, if they are useable.

5. dodgy

Bit of an update with some bits on the auto, been an odd few weeks, sold two cars, put a deposit on a replacement family car, went to pick it up and it went bang, so bought a bmw estate, sorry, and have done a few bits on that last Saturday, then Sunday was involved in an accident, not car, but helping on a diy project and spent some time in hospital, morphine is not my friend.
    Anyway, managed to do little bit of work on the white golf. Club gti sticker arrived so that has pride of place in front windscreen.
    Did some panel beating and removed the dents from rear panel, filled and primed. Ground the rust and treated the small area by the windscreen wiper blank. Then had a poke at the barnacle on the drivers door, massive lump of filler moved so out came the welder and grinder, cut out and replaced with metal, painted and first filler skim on it now.
    Inside I've been able to fit one of the sparco seats that I had in the mini, but have to collect the other as guy still has it in the mini but not fitted his replacements yet.
    New tyres on the Borbet As and got them on last week, lowering springs arrived, so will fit soon.
    And more parts collected for the 1.8t engine, full TT intercooler set up, mainly for pipework and hoses, and a new manual gearstick surround panel ready for the conversion.
    Planning to get a rear seat retrimmed to match fronts, and door cards too, may even have a go myself yet.

Attached Files:

1990 likes this.
  6. dodgy

Got a bit of time today to sort the garage and get the MG out, so I could get to the 1.8t.
    Removed the o2m from it, changed the flywheel to the g60 one I got off Ebay for £27, new vr6 clutch kit fitted, bolted the o2j gearbox to the engine along with mk3 slave cylinder.
    Checked the front mount as have 2, a mk2 16v one and a mk2 caddy tdi one, question asked in other thread.
    Rear mount for mk2 subframe bolted on, more clearance for the turbo oil return, still needs tweaking, but much better than before.
    Gearbox mount fitted, just need to pick up some more bolts.
    Replacement reverse switch and shorter belt to delete power steering all ordered, speedo cable arrived and fits the box.
    Mk3 gti wishbones have new balljoint fitted and the driveshafts had new inner cv joint kits, pair of non pas mk3 track rods ready to swap.
    Custom hydro clutch line should arrive from Hel this week.
    Pile of bits is growing, fuel lines, mk3 tank, brakes, pedal box, suspension, intercooler, badge refurb kit from grafshed, and countless other bits, just got to find some time to start fitting things, then can work out boost pipes and all the other bits I've not realised yet.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  7. Savagesam

Getting there! Won’t be long.

I absolutely love the refurb kits from Grafshed, the rest of my badges will be getting the same treatment.

8. dodgy

Mot today, dropped it off last night, had a call from the tester during the morning, said was ready to collect, straight through, advise tiny bit of play in rear wheel bearing.
    Very pleased. My lovely wife walked down and picked the car up as I was at work.
    Got in from work to find another piece for conversion arrived, custom clutch hose from Hel down in Exeter, nice piece of kit.
    Couple more parts ordered, and a new box of drawers to sort little useful bits put up in the garage.

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice, will you keep it looking standard once the 1.8t is in?

10. dodgy

Thanks, Well, it's a driver so has the arches etc already, have another grille that doesn't have the red trim, unsure which is original as seen with and without striping, any input appreciated.
    Got 40mm lower springs to go on, and mk3 gti widetrack set up so will have to change the wheels, considering keeping 4 stud, standard width but would need another set of hubs/brakes and driveshafts so cost at moment is putting that off.
    5 stud wheels will be from the vw stable still.
    Thought of big bumper change, but keeping it original small for the time being, original badges to go back on after refurb. Exhaust will alter, but probably keep offset single exit.
    Seats already changed for the set of sparco r100 ones that I had in my mini that I only drove to mot and home, then the tester bought it off me!
    Rear discs to fit yet, 4 stud first then 5 when do front.
    The borbet wheels and other bits may end up on the jade green car, the driver seats are destined to go in that shortly.

Tristan and 1990 like this.
  11. dodgy

Weather stopped play outside, so after doing a bit of decorating in the hall I've finally got round to sorting the rear badge using a Grafshed refurb kit.
    Really pleased with it, just have to remember the safe place I put my Driver badge now.

Attached Files:

1990 likes this.
  12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

driver wont have red trim originally often added for the gti look :)

13. dodgy

Thanks, saw some bits saying 1.8 had red bits, 1.6 was normal. Still have original grille in garage so may pop that back on when swap new wing on.

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the 1.8 had red stripe bumpers, but grille still black :)

dodgy likes this.
  15. dodgy

Cool, have red (pink now) stripes in bumper, but some of it is broken and missing, have some chrome off the green ones old bumper so may piece it back together, then vinyl tape it.
    Cant find any replacement or the chrome type.

16. Savagesam

Mine have earned their place on top of my microwave!

cupracraig, dodgy and costel1969 like this.
  17. dodgy

Found it, not where I thought it was.
    Nice badge again now.

Attached Files:

costel1969 likes this.
  18. dodgy

Work and other things have made the cars slow progress recently, but parts have been arriving.
    Latest bits are 5mm spacers to clear calipers and wheel combo, new set came home last week, and new caps arrived.
    Got replacement rear shelf supports, and some bits I was missing.
    New pair of spotlights in the original driver grille awaiting bulbs, and have parts to make uprated headlight loom.
    VW driveshaft to cup gaskets, fuel hoses, clips and tool, caliper springs and lots of little bits I cant remember.
    List of required parts is getting smaller, exhaust soon, and more tyres for the rims, 9 spoke Audi wheels as a nod to the S3 that donated the engine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    cupracraig likes this.
  19. Savagesam

I don’t like the wheels, I think you should give those callipers to me! ive got some 256 16v stuff you can have in return ;)

dodgy likes this.
  20. dodgy

I am a little sad to have to lose the borbet As off it, these may be a stop gap set of wheels, the brembo calipers are pretty big so 17s upwards.
    Did think of g60 style disc setup but it will be more outlay, and rather buy exhaust first. Its hubs, discs and calipers plus mk2 shafts, whereas have all vr6 front parts to fit already.
    I do know of another set though if serious.
    I suffer from 'Caliper Envy' , sure it's a real condition, 4 pots on the mg, 4pots on the mini, S4 on the audi, G60 on my caddy, plug 205gti on my minor, it's been going on for years.
    The brembo calipers were actually bought originally to go on a polo 9n with the S3 lump in it, or a mk2 caddy butplans changed when a mk2 golf came up.

cupracraig likes this.