"Thurrock Big Bore" engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by 2golfs, Mar 11, 2004.

1. 2golfs Forum Member

Thanks very much, I appreciate that.

I already have 1 car undergoing major surgery, so was purely intereted in the quality of available 'off-the-shelf' rebored engines, such as offerings from TSR, C&R, Volkspares, etc., without wanting the hassle of a major engine-swap operation. I have heard lots about engines from GTi engineering and TSR, but very little about any other engine rebuilders on this site, which is why I was curious.

The appeal of Volkspares is that you can just book the work, turn up, have the engine changed and then (presumably) drive away without having to wait a couple of weeks for the project to be completed.

Basically my daily driver engine is getting a little tired and I would like a reliable (smoke-free) engine that provides a little more poke and will not cause me any hassle.

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Designa Dubs completely re-shelled a mk2 Jetta Vr6 into a MK2 golf, in under 24 hours.

so i don't think there's any worry about it taking too long - as long as you gave them sufficient warning to get the parts together they could do the work quickly, and for a decent price.

Don't get me wrong it's your money and your choice. But i know where i take my money.

3. Joe_G Forum Member

My bro informs me the Volkspares rebuilt beetle engines are pretty suspect and he wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

I'd prefer a niclely run in 70k second hand engine than a newly rebuilt one personally.

The VW engines will go on for virtually ever given the right servicing, the 2.0 8v in my dads Audi has 100k and runs better than new, uses zero oil between 5k oil changes and is virtually silent. It'll do another 100k in it's stride ....

Joe

4. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Volkspares are muppets period

5. H8SV8S Forum Member

:o :clap: I wish I lived in the UK, they'd have my business!! [:s]
    Edited by: H8SV8S

6. jc.. Forum Member

I looked at the exact same conversion for my MK2 8v.
    I have a spare engine so was going to have the engine rebored and the head ported/polished and do the rebuid myself over a couple of free weekends.
    Even if I paid someone to rebuild and fit it, it would still come out 40% cheaper and that is with a completely rebuilt engine (seals, pins, bearing shells, rod bolts etc).
    I didn't do it in the end because I can pick up a 2.0l audi/block for peanuts and they are bomb proof.

Nobody is telling you what to do, but you asked for advice and most of the people here who have been through engine conversions have said that you can get a better job done elsewhere for less without having to do without your daily driver for weeks on end.

Your money though.

7. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

my engine will have cost one thousand pounds (plus fitting) by the time it is finished.

Blydenstein Stage 1 Head
    Schrick 260 cams
    2.1 Bottom End

will be somewhere over 180bhp and about 160lb/ft torque. on K-jet.

8. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Hey there's a rado 1.8 16v in a breakers near me...

I'm still after a plant for my Mk1 - will this engine be suitable for my twin 40's conversion??? Any differences between the rado and golf valvers?

How much of the loom do I take from it??

Can't get a decent engine here for the life of me [8(]

9. alexc Forum Member

Blydenstein Head eh?! ;)

The man knows his stuff, mainly does Vauxhalls from what I remember. A mate of mine recently had a head done by Guy Croft (mainly does work on Italian engines), very impressed with it.

10. Shaunburford New Member

hey mate, just read your post about thurrock big bores.

Ive got a 2L one in my '83 cab, had it put in in november and use as my daily runner. it is pricey as everyone points out, but like you i really didn't fancy the job myself so paid someone to do it for me.
    It is very good. loads of low down torque and revs a good un. feels very lively and it has never not started or stalled. runs perfectly. it does get a fair bit hotter mind, must be the bigger bore.
    It really needs a 4 to 1 manifold with it though and a new free flow exhast and induction if you have'nt got them all already. mine really struggled to breathe properly without them.

msg back if you wanna more details about them, ive no complaints

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

The 2L 8v is a bit of a waste of time on a Stage 1 head.

Having had a S1 & S2(Big Valves) then the Big Valves are the only way forward. (+20BHP)

The standard 33mm exhaust valve is very restrictive with an increased capacity engine & you are left with an engine that has plenty of torque over a standard unit, but not a great deal more BHP.

To make the most of a 2L 8v, it needs a S2 head minimum, hotter cam & the usual intake/exhaust mods. (As per what C&R say in their Brochure)

It will also need an external oil cooler to keep the temp under control.

Ive never heard much good about these Thurrock Engines & its a bit worrying that they now advertise "Grant Motorsport" units alongside their own in the Big Boys Toys catalogue???????

Why the need to do that if ure own motors are up to scratch?? [:s]

12. Browny New Member

I live in thurrock!