Timing question.......TSR 2L

Discussion in '8-valve' started by foxyjay, Jun 22, 2011.

1. foxyjay Forum Member

Guys, I have just transplanted a 2L TSR PB (not tall block!) 8V into my roadgoing Mk2.
    Thread HERE

The engine sports a TSR Pack"A" head and a TSR fast-road cam.

The engine was taken from a car I bought, but never drove more than 100yds, although I know the engine ran fine and pulled well.
    Since then I've refurbed the engine externally including removal of dizzy and replacement cambelt etc.

[​IMG]

Now comes the moment of resetting the timing for optimal results.

I've frigged about with the timing purely by experience / ear.
    At present it sounds good but seems a little laggy to pick up when revved.

I need to get a timing light, however when I do (later today) - what's the view on timing value an engine of this spec?
    Stick to stock and then try advancing?
    Try a different value from the off?

Your input very much appreciated........:thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Im pretty sure it is stock as the ecu takes care of it assuming you are running standard digi management.

3. foxyjay Forum Member

@ G60KG - I saw that the timing was a key topic as you were running a similar thread (although not same exact issues)

For yours.......have you tried "pinching off" the ISV hose tightly and see if that affects engine RPM?
    (if you dont have a clamp - use some wood and screws to make an ad-hoc tool).

What was the story with the throttle closed switch?

I noticed on the donor engine install for mine - the WOT switch was missing the lever which I put down to having fallen off.
    I've used my original TB now, which has all switches intact.

EDIT - yes, standard Digi.......[:$]

4. timo16v

timo16v Paid Member Paid Member

...running a TSR 2.0 8v myself with big valve head and 272 cam.......after having fuelling custom mapped at Stealth i am running around 11 degrees of ignition advance and its quick:thumbup:

i just set it up on the bum dyno...advace until detonation(ping) and then back off a smidge:)

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

yes grabbing the rather soft (soon to be replaced) ISV hose does affect rpm. I will be cleaning and swapping ISVs and blue senders tomorrow to see if I can sort it. throttle switches are fine. I really want to go megasquirt to get the most out of the engine but looking at around 400 initial cost so will wait a little.

6. foxyjay Forum Member

As a test for you, I pulled my blue temp sensor plug off and the revs roase to around 1500 ish? as a guess.

You could have a broken wire.

I had to cut the end off my airflow meter loom inc. plug and repair using one from a donor loom.
    Had an intermitted stalling issue which is 100% gone now!

7. foxyjay Forum Member

Cheers buddy.
    Are you on my manor if Stealth are near you?

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Where you can set the timing depends on getting enough fuel into it. It's probably running a bit lean if it's on a standard digifant ECU. you might want to think about an uprated Fuel Pressure Regulator.

The GTI engineerings mostly seemed to be set a little more advanced than standard - so see if you can get it around 8-10 degrees as a baseline, but if it's running lean it'll pink itself to death at that.

9. timo16v

...i am actually on the south coast..Portsmouth....but the trip to Stealth for live mapping was worth it ...very few able to do it, the next nearest was AMD Essex Thurrock and not even TSR have the equipment so i chose Stealth after good recommendations on here:thumbup:

10. timo16v

.....good advice Mike
    i was warned about leaning off at high rpm with digis hence my reasoning behind fitting an adjustable FPR along with G60 injectors and the custom fuel map......more than happy with how it drives now:)

11. foxyjay Forum Member

What G60 injectors have you gone for - stock or upjetted? (245cc stock??)
    Also - what fuel pressure you running? Stock is 3bar I believe??

12. timo16v

...have used regular green tops in mine..came out of a corrado thats all i know i am afraid.
    Was running 3 bar regulator which caused slight overfuel so i changed to adjustable regulator and dropped it to 2.7bar.....now back to 3bar but this has obviously been accounted for in the injector timing post Stealth remap........fuelling is now bang on the money and Vince reckoned the injectors have given a good boost to the torque..147lbsft @ 4600rpm

13. foxyjay Forum Member

Green injectors are prolly G60 (037 906 031 D) for PG engine.

I'll see how it goes but thanks for the insight into your setup!

If this goes to plan the engine should be quick!

14. foxyjay Forum Member

timing session due today now my timing light has arrived.

green top gti injectors due any day!

15. foxyjay Forum Member

Well i've fitted the G60 injectors and the car sounds lovely and lumpy now.
    However, the injectors haven't made THAT much difference to performance in the current setup.

I reckon i'll try tweaking timing again and also perhaps look to get a chip for the ECU.
    Is it best to just buy one off the shelf or is that unlikely to show the best reults?

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you cant really set them by ear as you have to adjust the timing to 6deg btdc at 2.25k rpm, with the blue sender unplugged. which is a tricky thing to do by sound alone :lol:

my digi 2.0 8v was set to around 7-8 degs and it seemed to like that, had a GS1H in it too. start with the stock timing though, and work from there

17. foxyjay Forum Member

oh.......so, when i have the blue sensor unplugged, i need to rev and hold 2250rpm and set the timing to 6degrees?
    Perhaps where i'm going wrong!!?
    I've set to 6deg. at idle.

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep thats the one! if u set it at idle the car will drive like a slug. the only thing that makes yours barable i expect is that its a tsr lump :lol:
    also co and idle need to be done with sender off and revved 3 times over 3k rpm. have a look at my digifant tuning guide :)

19. foxyjay Forum Member

Sorry dude........I did look at the guide but missed the 2250 dealings.

I promise to try harder in class lol.

Looking forward to better performance later when i've done it "properly" !

20. timo16v

....my experience of chips for the digi range from "very little change" to "standard map with fancy sticker" so to maximise what you got and account for the higher flow injectors i can only recommend save your pennies and go see Vince for mapping:thumbup: