Tools- (pro) Clarke or Draper or Halfords

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Lofty, Jul 4, 2004.

1. 4D1

4D1 New Member

Cheers destructive dave, I would like to think we do, if you ever get quoted cheaper anywere else just give us a call and we'll beat any genuine like for like quote.

2. 4D1

4D1 New Member

Tengtools

Cheers destructive dave, I would like to think we do, if you ever get quoted cheaper anywere else just give us a call and we'll beat any genuine like for like quote.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i got a few clarke sets. i didnt like halfords because they were 12 sided sockets.

i didnt like sealy as they had loads of imperial bits.

draper is nice, i would have got them at the right price but clarke came up first, 6 sided, lifetime guarantee so if i kill it they give me a new one.

ive done loads of jobs with mine, no issues at all.

4. 4D1

4D1 New Member

5. 4D1

4D1 New Member

Most tool companies do a 12 point and a 6 point socket they both have their benefits, you should ask for 6 point and they will more than likely do one.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i couldnt find one at the time on ebay for a 1/2" drive kit. i got a draper 1/4 drive kit, 4mm-13mm with deeps and .5mm increments, all 6 side and that rocks.

i was working on matt's mk2 doing the rod change bushes and used his 13mm 3/8 drive halfords set. the fastener rounded due to the socket being 12 sided but was then removed with my clarke set, despite being rounded, but my set was 6 sided. i love 6 sided, since seeing the light ive not rounded stuff since.

[:D]

7. 4D1

4D1 New Member

Yeah 6 point are better for not rounding fasteners, you should also look for (Hip Grip) or (Flank Drive) Tengtools & Snap-on these are 6 point sockets with recessed points to help prevent the corner of the fastener rounding or deforming.

[​IMG]

8. 4D1

4D1 New Member

Tengtools

Yeah 6 point are better for not rounding fasteners, you should also look for (Hip Grip) or (Flank Drive) Tengtools & Snap-on these are 6 point sockets with recessed points to help prevent the corner of the fastener rounding or deforming.

[​IMG]

9. 4D1

4D1 New Member

[​IMG]

10. Seraph Banned

Bloody Hell! :o The sets been around for decades! Literally!

11. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

I've split several draper expert sockets and broken the ratchet I think they're ****e, slowly replacing them as they break with halfords pro, nice to be able to nip round the corner and get whatever I need really quick and easy, lifetime guarantee is nice too, haven't really given them any stick yet though.

12. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

britools- got a few sockets- no complaints
    king dick- very good imo
    halfords- got the big sock set- lifetime quarantee major plus, but sockets wobble on drive(which i dont like)
    lawsons is an alright place for bits

13. Azorenblau Forum Member

I'd recommend Hazet = quality tools used as standard in Germany.

For you to browse:
    Hazet Catalogue

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Halfords pro stuff is OK, most draper stuff is OK too, but not up to serious abuse. Elora (same company as Draper) are a bit better fit and stronger.

It's not just whether they break or not though, it's how well they fit - makes a lot of difference when you're working on partially seized or rounded fasteners. Better quality tools are less likely to slip and round nuts off, because they're a tighter fit to start with.

So... I have lots of TENG MECCA ROSSO socket stuff and torque wrenches - no complaints after 14 years of DIY use.

FACOM Spanners, screwdrivers (all v. good) and a pair of mole grips that I broke (not impressed). I hear from a FACOM dealer thought, that the quality has slipped since Stanley took them over.

I have a few Britool bits and pieces, which are also good kit - Britool are owned by FACOM/Stanley

15. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I prefer to buy em as y' need em.
    That way you build up a nice collection of deep sockets, hex sockets, whatever.

16. g-dub Forum Member

got mostly halfords stuff, originally got a big kit (santa) the ratchets didnt last, but now moved to the pro stuff and all is holding up fine, also as before said if it breaks its so easy to get replaced