TPFT Insurance and Driving Other Cars

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by pettsy, Nov 28, 2004.

1. pettsy Forum Member

Just a quick insurance question...

Who was it on here who's insured TPFT but can also drive toher cars with the policy?

Which company is it with?

Cheers.Pettsy

2. superden Forum Addict

You can drive other vehicles under 3rd party terms provided the other vehicle is not yours or leased to you.

The other vehcle must also have valid insurance.

3. pettsy Forum Member

even if your own insurance is only 3rd party?

i thought you normally had to have fully comp insurance [:s]

4. superden Forum Addict

I was covered for all cars on a TPFT policy same as my current policy.

5. pettsy Forum Member

cool, cheers for that :)

6. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yea HIC.

my missus is 3rd party but can drive other cars...was reading the certificate on the bog earlier...

7. deajam Forum Member

On my TPFT policy you can drive other cars that don't have insurance. But they won't be covered as soon as you leave the vehicle.

Comes in handy doesn't it. Didn't even know i had that cover till i received all the documents.

8. ManicGTI Forum Member

i had that with HIC...but DOES depend on the company your insured with, Adrian Flux wont let me [8(]

9. MrBen Forum Junkie

Many people think Driving other cars cover comes automatically with Fully Comp cover, but this is not the case. It varies from company to company, and may come with any level of cover. Some brokers, such as HIC, will allow you to add Driving other cars to any policy, for an additional charge, so long as you fit certain criteria.

10. pettsy Forum Member

yeah, i know one of my friends is fully comp but he can't drive other cars at all.its not that i'd desparately need it, it'd just be useful for when dad wants his car fixing or something

11. WEEDUBDUDE Forum Member

.......pics ! [:s]

12. WEEDUBDUDE Forum Member

this insurance lark is a funny game . I was caught out when i had fully comp insurance , so did the guy whose car i was driving . I was hit by a drunk driver (he admitted liability right away ) and eventuallt ended up in court for guess what ............no insurance !
    1. my policy was fully paid and intitled me to drive any other vehicle
    2. the mates policy was the exact same
    3.the problem was i was between motors and the judge basically said " no car .......no insurance ......."
    I could aswell have been test driving the car in question . Point here is how many people can afford to buy a second car before selling the first one ?????
    Its one to look out for when buying another motor ......oh and have a guess who sunk me .................................................

the insurance company ...............nice of them wasnt it [xxx]

13. MrBen Forum Junkie

WEEDUBDUDE, gotta sympathise with you but your policy will state that you must be in possession of the vehicle covered by the policy for the driving other cars cover to operate. This was introduced, I believe, because motor traders were using the loophole to cover vehicles for their own use.

14. WEEDUBDUDE Forum Member

@ Mr Ben , this happened 8 years ago , it didnt say it then . In there defence , and it pains me too say this , it did say " inform them immediately of any changes" [:$] ....but youll have to agree that insurance companies are a law unto themselves [xxx] :thumbd: In my case the cops dealing with it where trying to get them on my side cos they also seen the "innocent mistake ". The company only had to say ok , we will cover you and give me a slap on the wrist for being stupid after all the bloke did put his hands in the air !!! :clap:
    They lost any future buisness outta me in their haste !!!
    Another point i`ll make about this is that i then asked for to be re-embursed with the money from the policy when i stopped "using it"..........the reply came like this " sorry , we cant do that because u have been still driving on this policy..........."
    HOW DOES THAT WORK ??

as we all know its only a few questions to get cover
    its a hell of a lot more to make a claim ...!

C*NTS [:v:]

15. MrBen Forum Junkie

Can't see how they managed to keep the remainder of the premium when clearly you weren't 'using the policy' as they didn't cover you when you had the accident! I think I'd have sued them at that point!! I've worked in the insurance industry for 8 years and sadly there are a few arseholes who totally ruin the image of the people who work within it!

16. mk2_oxford Forum Member

im tpft and i can drive other cars 3rd party. thats with norwich union but i heard liv vic do it too. ;)

17. WEEDUBDUDE Forum Member

To cut a long story short , the insurance "broker "i should really say told me that if i was to cancell the policy to get a refund i would have lost that years NCB . So the next time round they would be charging more for my premium...therefore no point in cancelling , furthermore when i went to renew a policy any company quoteing me would be asking questions as to why i cancelled a policy . Thus an investigation would ensue and it would be discovered that i had had an accident , effectively putting my policy up further ???????
    On another non related point i was involved with a head on collision with another drink driver (this is where i tell u that the last one was also a drink driver ) and a claim went through bla , bla , bla ...The next time my policy was renewed it went up 20% because the said , and i quote "you are now a liability "......so u see i do noy really have much faith in these companys and i only pay up because if i want to drive on the Queens Highgway i need to be insured !!!!!!!!!!!

anyone else in the same boat ???

18. MrBen Forum Junkie

Fair point on the NCB. As to the next insurer finding out about the accident, you would have to tell them anyway, so don't see how this would make any difference?

What people sometimes forget, is that Insurance is, at the end of the day, a business, and motor insurance loses a lot of money due to the competition in the area. Sadly, if you have had a couple of claims, the statistics prove that you are more likely to have another one, and therefore your premium will be loaded. Of course, with competition the way it is in the motor insurance market you can usually then shop around and get your premium down again anyway!

19. WEEDUBDUDE Forum Member

i certainly agree with the claims situation about a persons premium going up but that accident was not my fault .....he veered over onto my side of the road and hit me ...head on ....and i was loaded because of it
    i dont really see the sence in that ....do you ?

as for the insurance company having to know about the accident....do they have to know if there was no claim ....?
    just a point !
    Edited by: WEEDUBDUDE

20. MrBen Forum Junkie

Did the other driver's insurers pay for it though, or did yours? Or had you already had other claims?

Usually, the question is 'have you had any accidents', not 'have you had any claims'. Of course if it only asks for claims, then no you would not have to declare it.