TPFT Insurance and Driving Other Cars

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by pettsy, Nov 28, 2004.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Bollox, I've crashed stacks of cars registered in my bro's name (he doesn't drive, so not insured) and never had a problem.

2. neath_jmj Forum Member

This is on my Certificate of motor insurance what does it mean?

"The insured, who may also drive for Third Party Cover a private motor car not belonging to him/her and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase or leasing agreement in respect of which no insurance is afforded to him/her under any other insurance applying to such a car.

Provided that the person driving, as descibed above, holds a license to drive the veichle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaing such a licence."

Can i drive other cars???

3. superden Forum Addict

Really ? What defintion is on your documentation then ?

On mine it clearly says the other vehicle must be covered by a valid insurance policy.

4. HAMI Forum Member

I'm fully comp with HIC, and can drive other cars. but when i change my policy to a 'student', i'm not allowed to drive other cars. even though i'm 22 and staying fully comp. W#nkers.

5. MrBen Forum Junkie

This varies between Insurers - some require the vehicle to be insured already, other's don't specify this.

6. neath_jmj Forum Member

What does mine mean? any1?

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Elephant/Admiral...... no small print about the other vehicle.

8. superden Forum Addict

Hmmm, thats handy. I`m with HIC and it stipulates the other vehicle must be insured. As has been said though it depends on the insurer.

9. Finallygotmygti Forum Member

I'm insured with AXA TPFT who also let me drive other cars TP. Don't know where they stand on the whole other vehicle insurance thing.

However, know what you mean about getting loaded for having accidents regardless of fault. I had 2 last year, neither of which were my fault and when I came to re-insure my car my premiums sky-rocketed. I know that insurance is totally risk based but it seems entirely unfair that 2 unavoidable (on my part) accidents should affect my policy when I did nothing wrong...