TT rear wishbone bushes on Mk2?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Chaps, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Chaps Forum Member

Read it somewhere, but I cant find it for the life of me.

I need to replace the wishbone bushes on the mk2 valver, and wanting somebody to confirm that the rear front wishbone bush (circular one) can be replaced with an Audi TT one as an alternative to going for poly bushes.

Question - which TT model do i say i want it for, or are they all the same? and is it a direct swap or do you need to faff with it?

Just seen NigeP's guide (which is superb, Thanks) and was hoping its going to be as per..

2. Willber Forum Member

Part no. is 8NO 407 181 B

They are made by Lemforder and I bought mine off eBay for 25 delivered, super fast delivery too.

Hope that helps.

3. Supercharged Forum Member

Really best to buy genuine, dealers keep these instock most of the time and will last much longer than the Lemforder ones - around the same price too IIRC

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

afaik lemforder are genuine parts suppliers, some of the ones ive seen had the vag numbers ground off. the lemforder top mounts i bought didnt though, still had all the oem VW part numbers on :)

5. Willber Forum Member

I was led to believe that the Lemforder ones were the 'genuine' part? I take it there is a different part no for 'genuine' ones?

Edit: as rubjonny says - these are marked with the VAG part no. on them too.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the lemforder ones i fitted the other week from ECP had the VW stamp and part number on them. definately a VW part in a lemforder box

7. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

8. Chaps Forum Member

Cheers guys, ordered myself a set of these now.

9. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Going to get some of these bushes myself too, do you need a special press to put them in though?

One cautionary tale though with ECP "Lemforder" stuff.......often they say it will be lemforder but when it arrives you get some crap called "Q drive" which falls to bits in months. They tell you its the same but it baltently isnt, my "Q drive" top mounts lasted 6 months of normal driving before they split up and started to push through....

D

10. Gambit

dont need a press but does make it easier.

or put the bushes in the freezer for a few hours before hand. then you can get them in with a (very) large socket and hammer!

11. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

mind if I ask what the advantage of using the audi bush over a stock mk2 or polly is?

12. Gambit

its solid rubber without the recesses/voids which the mk2 bush features

TT/R32
    [​IMG]

std mk2
    [​IMG]

13. erantomer Forum Member

i put 2 of these and 2 front bushes from rally design.
    in the first drive i noticed more vibration from the road, and that's it. now i can't see any benefit what so ever.
    a known vw proffesional over here said that it helps mainly A4 platforms, where the original bushes can't deal with the bigger weight, but in mk2 he said he never had to replace torn bushes.

14. Gambit

i did for my MOT :) both ripped - though that was probably cause they where Febi (aka crap bush makers) items that came with the replacement wishbones that were only 2yr old

VAG items would prob be ok!

15. rubjonny

eron: what bushes did you have before?

16. KentGTiKR Forum Member

I bought whole polly set for mk2 on ebay, for ~65 pounds. Works fine and reliably :)

17. hypojam Forum Member

Im running the tt/r32 lemforder bushes and theres no problems from me [:D]

18. erantomer Forum Member

original one, probably still from factory.

19. rubjonny

hmm there must have been an improvement over 20 year old bushes, even if you put oem ones you should have noticed they were better. oh well!

the idea isnt that they're a huge improvement over oem, just that they're slightly better but not so stiff as polys. poly bushes dont work properly at the rear because they dont bend properly.

TT bushes still work as VW intended but they do not allow the rear of the wishbone to move anywhere else except up & down.

20. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Just going back to part of the original Q......Guys can you confirm that these R32/TT ones fit exactly the same as the oem mk2 ones? (Same bolts, guide sleeves etc...) The metal tube in the middle looks thicker/bigger to me? If they are a dirsect replacement im going for it, if its fiddly/faffing around im going to stick with VAG mk2 ones!?

Cheers

Dan