Turbo to best suit a 2.0 16V?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Nurburgring, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Nurburgring Forum Member

Garrett T3, T28 or KKK K26???

Or something else???

2. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

Hi Nurburg

It woulddepend on what HP/torque you are expecting from your engine ultimately and where you determine to be the most valuble part of your engine rev range depending on your driving style/vehicle use.

I have found acosteffectivesolution to be a T3 0.42 a/r compressor 0.48 a/r turbine.This will provide good a good comprimise betweenfast spool up and choking of the exhaust system at the top end, with a compressormap that works well with you engine up to about 14 PSI boost (when used with an intercooler). This particular turbo is found on the lancia chroma turbo i.e, siera cosworth and others.

3. doopydug Forum Member

I am totally interested in a bolt on turbo kit - anyone know of any available in the UK?

My car is pretty well set up just now but would love to get near the 240 - 250 HP barrier with the wads of torque that a decent turbo set up brings

4. prof Forum Addict

it'll be cheaper to fit a 20vt engine than mod the 16v

5. FeastyVW Forum Member

Boring.... yawn!

6. 16VTWOODY New Member

iv got a 1.8 16v turbo and im using a hybrid t25 wid 360% thrust bering and im pulling 205bhp at 9psi but also got motec m4 managmant

speek to TSR thay done a lot a work on mine and may be able to help you

7. ABF170BHPMK2 Forum Member

Can you fit a turbo or supercharger to an ABF 2.0 16v engine?

I take it that it would cost about 4 grand if anyone does it?

Any Ideas?

i have an A reg early MK2 immaculate with the above engine and it pulls soooooooooo well. engine converted by Sachs, whoever they are? I cant believe i paid 325 quid for this car the immobilisers worth more than that. i love GTIs.

Im new so be nice.

8. I have a T3 on my 9a whth megasquirt n spark and have over 230 hp at the flywheel. (more to come;))

Steve.

9. Nurburgring Forum Member

Hi,

The Turbo will be on a 9A :)

What spec is the T3 you are using?

cheers

10. Nurburgring Forum Member

Cheers for the info mate good to hear someone confirm some specs as this is the spec i have been looking at actually. Am going to get a T3 off a Cossie and rebuild it (unless i can get of a cheap new one!)

11. Nurburgring Forum Member

So agree VDub!!!! ;)

12. madmk4 Forum Member

Certain variations of the T25 were what seemed to work for stealth racing and turbo technics.

13. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

For all round driving and fun on my 2.0 16v turbo i use a T3 0.42/0.48. Forsprinting ihave a hybrid T3/T4 with a 0.63 a/r turbine and a 0.6 a/r compressor. To be honist, the0.42/.48 T3 works so well i havent been botheredyet to fit the new turbo. As soon as i loose a traffic light dash i think things may change though;)

14. Nurburgring Forum Member

Sounds good mate!!! :clap:

Any idea what sort of power/torque your engine is putting out?

Sorry have a couple more questions - just interested to see what engine management and what inlet manifold people are using?

:)

15. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

I would hate to guess what my power is or torque so I wont bother,,,,to give you an idea, i had a corrado G60 chipped pulley'd big wheels, de-cat blah blah blah,,,,and my mk2 2.016vT makes that seem like a Rover 100

Intake manifold Modified S2

ECU WOLF3D

16. Nurburgring Forum Member

Hehehe, its a bit quick then!! :lol:

Not looked into the Wolf3D ECU - might have to have a look.

I was going to knock my own manifold up but am still contemplating using one off an S2 or 20VT.

Take it your S2 manifold has worked out fine?

17. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

After some mods it fitted like a glove, I have seen so many different types of inlet manifold on 16v turbo's, probably the simplest being to cut the flanges off the original just after the injector seats, cut the plenum off the original then weld the two halves together like in thefirst pic,,,the bottom pic is my s2 manifold

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Also think of going turbo on my 9A.

Other than some forged low comp pistons, a turbo and modding my own manifolds i dont need anything else do i.

I am planning on going the megasquirt n spark route.

How much does it cost approx for a megasquirt system and setup. Anyone?

Anyone else got any prices on fuel and ignition management sytems. Are they easy to diy and then get setup properly later?

19. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Oil feed and return to turbo, boost piping, suitable throttlebody, intercooler if you want more than a couple psi boost, probably custom downpipe, wastegate (dependant on turbo), ARP headstuds, the list goes on. Oh and probably a new gearbox after a week or so :lol:

I've spent about 450 or so on my MS project so far, but that does include the WBO2 controller which isn't strictly necessary. If I did it again I could probably do it cheaper, and I could certainly make it more expensive [:$]

20. prof Forum Addict

if you just go and get a 20vt loads of these problems are already solved, there is a whole 20vt in my local yard and he wants 350 for it, it'll need some work but compared to what it costs to do the same with a 16v you'll be on the road way sooner