Turbo to best suit a 2.0 16V?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Nurburgring, Jan 4, 2005.

1. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Yeah but

1 i want to learn about turbos which im doing by asking the questions

and

2 20vt has been done to death now.

Although i dont want to do this and destroy my 9A in the process so i might just leave this turbo idea and stay NA

2. prof Forum Addict

diffirent is nice, but finished is better :lol:

not that mine is finished [:$]

3. trendy tramp Forum Member

unless you know exactly what you're doing and are willing to look long term, wait for cheap bits to appear and be prepared for a LOT of fiddling and headaches, then don't do it. you have to be realistic - look at how many people start turbo conversions and never finish them - i would guess less than 20% of people who start looking at the conversion ever finish them, which is why there are always bits kicking around in the classifieds.
    i'm not trying to put you off, but the questions you are asking means you have a lot of learning to do (and headaches to come) before you do it. fiddly bits like oil lines, coolant lines etc etc screw you over for money unless you can fab stuff to fit from another car.

unless you're abslutely au fait with the system and dead handy with the tools and have the time to spend, then you can take what you think it will cost, treble it and add 50% and you may be somewhere near.

good luck with whichever way you choose.

tt

4. prof Forum Addict

motorhead spent over 5k on his mk2 20vt and he used mostly standard 20vt bits and is a qualified mechanic, So at home on your own...... slow and expensive

5. DuBDuDe Forum Member

What you have just said is exactly what ive been thinkin over the last couple of days

Since one of my mates gave me the turbo idea i havent been able to let it drop.

I think from a money point of view im gonnna stay NA for the next couple of yrs.

Learn a lot and collect some bits then when i can afford a nice daily drive and the golf becomes garage bound i will go to work on the turbo idea.

As far as knowledge and parts fabrication goes i have the resources to call upon. A mate of mine works for a company who build jap cars putting silly bhp out. All sorts of wierd and wonderful conversions. The last one he told me about was a Lexus IS 200 with a Supra 3l turbo unit pushin some stupid bhp out like 600bhp or summat. Another one of my mates is running a KR turbo so i have something to use as a guide.

But i think I will leave it to the pro modders for now and get on with getting my 9A up and runnin peoperly.

6. trendy tramp Forum Member

Good shout - you don't have to let the idea drop, but fully prepare yourself and plan it out for the future when you'll know exactly what's involved. and get those mates all geared up ready [:D]

good luck,

tt

7. DuBDuDe Forum Member

nice one lads thnx for the advice. ;)

Think i would have made a mistake to try and do it now.

Be prepared for me to be pestering you lot on here too! :lol:
    Edited by: DuBDuDe

8. DundeeDub New Member

I have a turbo set up for sale, it would be a straight fit to the 2.0L 16v. Everything is there ready to be fitted.

Its on e-bay just now: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&amp ; ;item=7950042779&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

This would save you looking around for bits which would take a while and it could be up and running very soon.

There is also some forged pistons on e-bay just now that would work: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category =72205&item=7949177839&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Hope this is useful to you

Andrew
    Edited by: DundeeDub

9. prof Forum Addict

for the cost of a conversion you can buy lots of nice fast cars

so say 4k

you could have a fiat coupe 20v turbo with 220 horsepower, leather, lsd and brembo 4 pots and the insurance is less than a modded mk2

then build an NA track car................. ;)

10. trendy tramp Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tt

11. prof Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: [8(] pmsl

now if only i could find a lightened flywheel and clutch for an 02m..... ;)

12. DuBDuDe Forum Member

dont get me started again :lol:

Was just coming to terms with the fact a turbo is just out of reach for me at the moment.

13. chunk Forum Member

iv also realised this since i bought my turbo kit,and have not decided to go ahead with my turbo conversion, havent realy got the time to do it and the money ,now that iv realised how much goes into a turbo conversion,
    but good luck if u do go ahead with it [:D] cheers

14. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

I'll second that. My cars been off the road more than 12 months, and I havent done much to the engine yet. Its just a bloody nightmare trying to physically work everything out in your head, then make it some kind of reality. Wiring is my next headache, why oh why did I start this :lol: