Turbocharging VW 8V 4-cyl aluminum block

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by MrOnion, Dec 25, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I have heard the idea bounced around of turbocharging an alloy block with 1.8T internals and can only assume it must be this ALT, if the crank simply will not turn in the AKL.

Concerns existed over how much humilty the block would have towards having a big turbo slapped onto it, but a K03 doesn't sound too bad.

Have VW turboed any 4 cyl on an alloy block? What's the spec on the FSIs?

2. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

ooh, aah, alloy blocks galore!!

Am watching this closely, much obliged to all contributors, my Christmas stocking is large enough for any alloy block capable of accepting a 92.8mm crank - - as may be imagined, minor rod to block interference can be corrected with machining, and block integrity improved with "blok tru" epoxy in the water jackets, plus bearing cap girdles[:*:]

- - and as mentioned in another thread, there's a handy selection of 8v cross flow heads on this side of the pond, if there's sufficient interest I could arrange a pre paid shipment by slow boat

(where on earth does oracle Danster find his information? is there a VAG lodestone of some sort under his house's front step, or perhaps a data base shrine in his mysterious barn/museum/VAG parts depot, surely the automotive equivalent of an elephants' graveyard?):o

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  3. MrOnion New Member

The ALT seems to be a short block?! It uses the same rods as 1.8T (AVJ, AMB, BFB). Bore is the normal 82.5mm for 2.0:s, so 1.8T pistons won't fit... Same thing with the AWA NA 2.0 FSI (150hp).

Are the 2.0 TFSI engines manufactured with alloy blocks?

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

As far as I'm aware, a lot of blocks, post 2E/AGG/AGY/ABF are short blocks, ie the 20vs. The AEB is, BAM etc etc.

Hang on, isn't BAM alloy?

The new TFSI blocks I'm pretty green on. There are seemingly 2 versions, the 197bhp version and the Edition30/S3 version, with the latter being an older engine. On top, there has been an evolution whereby one of them is chain drive and the other belt. Confusing stuff, and not easily transplantable, limiting the interest we're taking in them for now.

5. MrOnion New Member

So, 2.0 20V:s (chaindriven oilpump) are all shorts. The 8V 2.0:s (06A/06B) are tallblocks? Isn't BAM the 225hp engine from Audi TT/S3? Probably not alloy...

Are there any alloy 1.8:s? Like in the -00 to -05 era? ETKA does not tell the materials used, which is a shame...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  6. danster Forum Addict

Been checking the later 06X block 2.0 crossflow engines, they appear to be short blocks too, as the timing belt is the same for the alloy 1.6 AKL and the iron 2.0 APK engines.
    VW must have reverted back to the short block, bore / stroke and rod dimensions like the 3A 8v and 9A, 6A and ACE 16v.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I know what's making me think it is - the front of the block is covered in webbing, but I suspect someone will confirm it's iron.

8. MrOnion New Member

Back to the 1.6:s. What is the main difference between AKL and AVU engines? They seem use different blocks and the 8V head is looking way different?.

The later ALZ 1.6 FSI engine head looks similar to the AVU that you can find from MK4 Golfs -99->

The AVU heads camshaft bearing caps are not separate but like a girdle. Here are some pictures from ETKA:

AKL: http://www.baboonplanet.com/vw/1.6/AKL.png
    AVU: http://www.baboonplanet.com/vw/1.6/AVU.png
    ALZ: http://www.baboonplanet.com/vw/1.6/ALZ.png

For dansters highrevver that AVU type of head could keep the cam in place a little better ;)

9. danster Forum Addict

10. MrOnion New Member

Ok, so it's a rockerhead then... interesting...

I placed an offer on the 1.8t AWT block today, so i think i'm taking that route... 1.8t block + G60 pistons and rods (ugly I know) + AKL head + K03s = Stage 1 of my turbo journey to devastation ;)

The engine is from a longitudinal passat, so does anyone know if I can swap the alternator bracket from the exhaust side to the other side of the block? And how will the MK2/3 passenger side engine mount fit to the block?

11. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

ZA compadres

Try Nellis on here (or was it one of his countrymen?) who recently wrote of popular South African 8v crossflow head turbo conversions - - [:D]

12. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

BAM is steel block

2.0 FSI ( AXW ) is alloy block parts nr on casting: R06D 103 023
    and used in Polo/Fabia S2000 rallycars ( around 280 hp )

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just assisting HPR with the Polo S2000 alloy engine pic, n/a of course:

[​IMG]

14. MrOnion New Member

Ok,

I have not bought the 1.8t block yet, because I heard there are AKL:s with open (as in dansters images) and closed-deck versions? Can anyone confirm this?

The person claiming this had used 3 AKL:s for NA race engines with KR/PL 16V heads. One was rethreaded for M11 headbolts and the rest where used with later M10 bolts...

If I could find a AKL or similar with closed-deck, it would propably handle forced induction... Could be worth the trouble of grinding little space for the 1.8 crank.

15. Funky Diver Forum Member

As in this type?

[​IMG]

and this type?

[​IMG]

Both being sold on ebay as AKL heads :)

16. INA

INA Forum Member

17. MrOnion New Member

INA: Nice block! That will probably be the weapon of choice in the future. I'm still practicing the art of turboing so I brake the cheaper blocks first ;)

Danster if you see this you said earlier in this thread that you are getting rid of the crank triggerwheel in your highrev 1.6 setup. Just double checking does it effect the balancing of the crank in any way?

I'm using a 1.8t AEB block and the bulky G60 piston won't fit with the trigger wheel. I made a spacer to the pulley to fit it outside:

[​IMG]

I also bought a used GT2560R turbo for this 8V project, so it might see a bit more hp than originally planned...

[​IMG]