Twin Carb Airbox options

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by 3hirty8ight, Mar 29, 2007.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

only tested to 160hp doesn't mean it wont do more - I know for a fact it will when fitted with a large external cone filter and 100mm ducting - the pipercross internal filter is garbage IMO but this car be binned

with a big dome filter, my car made 236hp. With the new setup it made more low end power and only lost a tiny amount up top - when the bonnet is closed as in real world driving, the benefits over a open dome filter will be more significant than on the rollers also as cold air feed is guarenteed

new setup tested at Aintree sprint at the weekend and managed 123mph through the speed trap....thats good, nowt wrong with this setup, also got a personal best time and 2nd in class behind a very quick modified lotus elise on slicks so tried and tested, works fine

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Good to hear a tried and tested review :)

I'm toying with the idea of one of these (with no internal filter and cone) on the Firenza

3. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Thats what i like to see mate, good to hear you didnt have any losses, the internal filter is the main problem, but as you said easily removed and modified..

Did you have to adjust your map to suite? igninition correction etc? or even fueling?

Would it be possible to post some close up pics of the clearance from teh base plate to the alternator?

Henry

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

my motor has dth throttle bodies so the clearance will be quite different to a carb car, pic will be no use to you. Biggest issue I had was not the alternator but the head water hose - length of induction tract and position of backplate was dictated by this, took ages to get right with several models in cardboard. Yes the map was slightly adjusted, more fuel low down and a touch less up top where there was a slight reduction in power, worth it IMO for a more robust and quieter setup.

5. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Noise is my issue, i think that i will be able to get round the head coolant flange by putting a 90 degree bend in and re-routing the top rad hose.. havent really looked at the alternator yet, looks fairly close though...