Tyre advice needed - 195/50 R15

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by VWAlfaMan, Jun 7, 2004.

1. VWAlfaMan Forum Member

Just back from my local VW dealer. I've invested in a set of new Golf G60 steels for my Scirocco. I'm going to run 195/50 R15's. Does anyone have any experiences to share good and bad?

I've not got a fortune to spend, I've so far spotted GoodYear Eagle F1's at 35 each, Avon's at 32 and UniRoyal Rallye's at 29. All inc VAT.

I'm inclined towards the UniRoyal as they'r supposed to be good in the wet - my car's a bit of an understeerer in the wet!

Thanks.

2. veedubber Forum Member

Good years eagle f1's. They are the best

Stef

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

Uniroyal Rallye 540's are awesome tyres aswell!!

I'd highly recommend those!

4. oak8vgti Forum Member

hi m8, changed my tyres from 185/55 15's to 195/50 15's two years ago, find them just as good as original size and looks better with the slightly wider tyre, id go with goodeagle f1's m8y, i wont buy any other now, they are sweet as, plus any decent 195/50 is cheaper than any decent 185/55 (to do with demand)

5. oak8vgti Forum Member

oh yeah, m8 had uniroyals on his car, and couldn't wait for them to wear out, goodyear f1's are good in the rain
    Edited by: oak8vgti

6. BagPuss

BagPuss Forum Member

Firestones for me.

7. Joe_G Forum Member

Make sure you phone all the places to see if they actually have F1's. Goodyear didn't make a big enough batch last time so everyone is waiting on them to make some more at the mo.

I've just put Uniroyal Rainsports on my 15" Steels and they're quite good, have a better ride and easier steering than the Toyo's I had before. Slightly less dry grip but that's just becasue they're wearing in.

Joe

8. VWAlfaMan Forum Member

Hi,

I got the price of the Goodyear F1's wrong - they're 45 which kind of rules them out on my budget. Up to date prices (!) are Avon ZV3 33.10, Uniroyal Rallye 550 31.50, Toyo Proxes 31.00.

Does anyone have any experience of buying over the internet from mytyre.net etc?? Did you have problems getting people to fit and balance them for you etc?

Thanks

9. VWAlfaMan Forum Member

Hi,

I got the price of the Goodyear F1's wrong - they're 45 which kind of rules them out on my budget. Up to date prices (!) are Avon ZV3 33.10, Uniroyal Rallye 550 31.50, Toyo Proxes 31.00.

Does anyone have any experience of buying over the internet from mytyre.net etc?? Did you have problems getting people to fit and balance them for you etc?

Thanks

10. diggerbucket Forum Member

Toyos are really good too, very impressive in the wet

11. matt d Forum Member

I'm using Yoko A539, 195/45/15 for the track and will be buying another set when i've killed them [:D]

12. Joe_G Forum Member

I ordered my Unioryoal Rainsports from topgear.co.uk for 28.75 each inc. VAT and delivery. Arrived in 3 days, no probs. I did phone them before hand tho to make sure they had some in stock.

Most places won't have a problem fitting the tyres for you, I took mine to ProTyre in Bristol which has all the best kit for balancing/alignment etc. Cost 10 a tyre for fitting/valves/dynamic balancing.

Joe

13. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

my eagle F1's 195/50 R15s were #37 inc VAT and postage from www.topgear.co.uk

as mentioned above, i always buy tyres from topgear.

no probelms getting em fitted at all. no where has ever refused (3 different places) roughly 5 squids for fitting and balancing per wheel.

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

i got uniroyals on mine...had a set before and couldn't fault them...my surrent ones aren't bedded in yet.

a mat uses toyos and it seems he goes through a set every five mins.

i think they toyos are better in the dry, but wear qicker and loose out in the wet. so you makes your choice for what you want from them.

15. Joe_G Forum Member

P.S. TopGear don't have any F1's. No Date for re-supply either.

Joe

16. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i know! i've been waiting/they've had my money since march 31st [:x]

17. Phil

Phil Forum Member

You have PM Mr. VWAlfaMan. :)

18. seanlazyass Forum Member

Im currently running Avon ZZ3's on my mk4 and Iv just fitted some F1's to my mk2. I got the F1's for 47 each fitted and balanced, they seem very good so far but they arent scrubbed in properly yet so will only get better! The Avons on my mk4 are brilliant! Particually in the wet, I especially like them because they are predictable and easy to control.

With either two you cant go wrong!

Sean

Ps the Avons are 225/45/17 ;) & the F1's are 195/50/15
    Edited by: seanlazyass

19. daveybwoy Forum Member

Goodyear F1 GSD-3's are top they out performed Toyo Proxies slightly in the dry and a lot in the wet according to a review I've read.

I got F1's on my normal wheels and waiting to get my show wheels refurbished on which I'll be slapping Toyo Proxies T1-S's. Be interesting to see the comparsion.

20. seth223uk Forum Member

i got f1s through top gear came two days after i ordered them! Suppose it depends on which branch you order from

mike [:D]