Tyre Recommendations...

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Chris H, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Claypole Forum Junkie

Wheelspin is yours aplenty when it starts raining... ;) :lol: :lol:

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

I have to say my Yoko's A539 were a little disapointing. I'm finding the wear rate quickly already plus I notice the tyre feels very soft and gives way without little notice. Not the greatest fan of them, however they came with the alloys.

After reading all these posts I want a set of toyo proxes [:^(]

3. monza 16v Forum Member

I bought my first set of proxes (T1-S) about 3 months ago and am well impressed. Better than the A539's I had on my winter wheels.

4. Stormin Forum Member

toyo's just grip and grip and grip oh and there cheap too.

5. Lillpete Forum Member

Bridgestone Potenza's,

By far the best tyres I've ever had, although drove an sti impreza with avonzv3+'s(or something like that)and was very impressed with the wet weather traction, however the 4wd may have helped on that front:lol::lol::lol:

6. DODGER Forum Member

I got my toyo's off a guy on ebay for 150 set of 4 delivered [:D]

7. DarkMK2 Forum Member

comparing two types of tyre while on two completely different cars as as usfull as having no tyres at all tbh! :lol:

... and i cant actually beleive the amount of praise our good old Proxes are getting on here!! last time i recommended these in a similar post a couple months back, i got slated for it!!! ahh well![:s]

oh and for extra stability in the wet... i would highly recommend Proxes all round with T1-S's on the front and the newer T1-R's on the rear... this combination is the dog's b*******![:D]

8. Lillpete Forum Member

A friend highly praises toyo proxes for grip but said they wear very quickly.

I think they removed the best feature from the proxes a couple of years back, "Back in the day" they came with free insurance so if you had a unrepairable puncture or blowout they replaced the tyre for free.

9. Valleys boy Forum Member

The above mentioned tyres are great if you've got the 300 for them!!!

For those on a budget, it's gotta be Marshalls! I paid 180 for all four (205/40/17) and they're bloody great!

10. DarkMK2 Forum Member

:lol:75 for a Toyo Proxe!!! where do you go for your tyres mate???

..... they got to b pulling your leg there!

11. DarkMK2 Forum Member

actually..... just notice you got 17's.... seems a bit more respectable.

soz about that[:$]

12. hayesey Forum Junkie

for cheapo tyres I quite liked Hancook Ventus K102s. decent all round tyre for the money.

I'm about to buy a set of colway formula 2 tyres for my g40 though. but it's not a daily driver, it's for mainly track use.

13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

eagle f1's (gsd3) or toyo proxes t1s :clap: are the ones most recommended.

just don't get pirelli p6000 as i have found that they are pretty useless in the wet, but they do last.

14. DarkMK2 Forum Member

What i find to be the biggest advantage of the Toyo T1's is their performance in the wet... they are just so predictable when you push them, and when things start to get a tad lairy, they are very easily controled.

As far as wear goes, not too bad either... i have had my 4 on now since october and the fronts stil have 2, maybe 3mm (or a couple of months worth) treadleft at least!

15. Lillpete Forum Member

The big question is how many miles have you done since October??

I have Nankangs on the front of the Golf at the moment(on there when I bought the car) they seem to be the cheapest brand available but their actualysurprisingly grippy.

16. DarkMK2 Forum Member

i have done probably around the 9000 mile mark since i have had them.... works out i doon avg. 800-1000 milesper month. so how does this compare to other tyres???[:s](These T1's are the first set on 'non-budget' tyres i've owned[:$])

Budget tyres, such as Nankangs are alright i supose... if you couldn't give a flyin f*** of such aspect as handling!:lol:you really do get what you pay for with budget tyres and they bring about serveral problems if your unlucky enough to get a duff tyre... as i did when buying my wheels which came with Nankangs!

Aparently, some budget tyre can cause problems like vibration, side pulling, and other problems usually associated with steering geometry! Before i demanded a straight swap for a fresh set of T1's, my car pull to the left like a biatch!!! Like mega dangerously... worst i've ever experiance! As soon as the better made Toyos went on, she drove happy as larry!![:D]
    Edited by: DarkMK2

17. Lillpete Forum Member

The bridgestone potenza's I had on my civic vti where part worn on the alloys when I bought them, I then had them on the car for about 8 Months (approx 10-12kmiles)before selling the car, at which time the back oneshadhardly worn at all and the front one's had approx 1/4-1/3rd of there life left, and that was with 160bhp knocking through them.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Dubya Forum Junkie

My mate runs Toyo Proxes T1-S on his civic, and he hates them. He can't wait for them to wear out so he can replace them.

I getting new tyres next week, but can't decide between Eagle F1 GSD3 and Potenza RE-720.

Too many conflicting opinions really.

19. Lillpete Forum Member

[​IMG]If your not sure, why notjust go for whichever is the cheapest of the two??[​IMG]

20. DarkMK2 Forum Member

i think alot of it is to do with psychology and what you get told tbh!

also another point is... where one type of tyre performs well in one aspect, another type of tyre may seem to be not as good when compared to it, but could very easilly out perform the other in a completely different aspect of performance!

so i guess the bottom line is.... get a tyre thatis good atwhat YOU want it to do well in!