Uprated clutch for mk1 16v ?- with pics

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by I V - mk1 16v, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

I've just got the box out of my mk1 to fix the slipping clutch. It's currently a sachs standard clutch which has only been fitted for about 1000miles (and 3-4 trackdays [:$] ;)) and has already starting slipping. The mk1 has got a abf lumping putting out about 180hp/155ftlb so i'm begrundingly gunna have to get a uprated clutch. My box is a early mk1 8v 020 box with 210mm clutch and the smaller (than 16v) output shaft.

What options have i got??

I think that gurds and chris mentioned earlier that they use a organic plate helix clutch's(?) but can't remember if they still used a std 16v pressure plate and if it was still a sprung friction plate? [:s] [:s]
    Edited by: I V - mk1 16v

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

Helix organic for me Ian...Id have to recommend a Helix for any regular track car, & especially one with 180+BHP

The pressure plate is a Sachs item, but not sure if its the standard jobbie [:s]

Got my new friction disc direct & they were most helpful, so maybe worth a call to compare part numbers on the pressure plates??

HELIX

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A Helix paddle will eliminate the problem

A Helix organic plate will more than likely be ok, and be a bit more road civilised - Bill tried one of these, but went back to paddle [:s]

Both come with a Sachs uprated cover which I *suspect* you can source from Sachs direct (cheaper?), but I never got round to chasing around. Can dig out part no if you need it.

TBH, sprung paddles are fine on the road. Just helps if you aren't hungover /mega tired, in which case a short temper doesn't help.

I've no other info on clutches in between std and Helix - never tried since there was no point IMHO with 200+ bhp.

You could try and source this uprated cover I mentioned, and clamp a standard disc with it, if you fancy experimenting.

Helix budget is ~ 400.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I presume there's no leak from clutch push rod onto the clutch..?

Even a Helix will slip if this happens

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

I swapped to my Helix Organic after a friction disc failure on my Helix paddle clutch..& the organic looks better engineered in all honesty [:s]

Organic is lighter & more road friendly & has coped easily with the power to now.. [:D]

Helix also have BHP/Torque ratings for each clutch too, which could be useful ;)

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I put a 4 paddle helix in mine with Sachs Racing pressure plate (450 for the kit), grabs well and they quoted 240lbft I think for the paddle but mines sruggling a bit I think.. Do you have to warm them up?

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yea got a helix organic friction plate along with standard LUK pressure plate. Have never had a problem even with full throttle shifts. Your mk1 is very light Ian so I dont think you need any more. But saying that, some peeps have have standard pressure plates fall apart breaking rivets etc. Nic to drive and easy on the pedal but does have a much sharper biting point and less progressive than a standard one.

8. Oplaii Forum Member

I'm using a sachs paddle with a standard 16v pressure plate, clutch does'nt feel any different to a normal one and it's caked in oil and doesnt slip [:s] :lol:

[​IMG]

9. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys,:thumbup:
    Think i'll probably go Gurds route, i go easy(ish) on the clutch and 400 is about 300 more than i was budgeting for.[:$]
    Also the sachs 16v pressure plate i have got has been balanced against the flywheel, so if theres no sign of any damage to it then i'll try and keep it.

Not sure yet [:$], i've still got to take the clutch off and have a look, run out of time on sat after taking the box off, which was bloodly fiddly, not a lot of room to get it out with the abf in there now. [:x]

There was a bit of oil in the bottom on the clutch housing which may be engine oil which seems to leak from the filler cap then run along the rocker cover before dripping down the back and side on the engine [:x] Which probably won't be helping.

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It's that fully floating filler cap Ian :lol:

Hope you had a good b'day btw :thumbup:

11. iguana Forum Member

Just got a boggo one- think its sachs, from GSF anyway & its coped fine, not quite as aggressive on the car as you tho finchy ;)

12. GVK

No comment [:^(] :lol:

[​IMG]
    Edited by: GVK

13. iguana Forum Member

Ah well thats coz Ray Charles built ya gearbox tho G ;)

14. GVK

:lol:

15. iguana Forum Member

Must be Zola Budds fanny tho- coz im still faster than your gearbox munching- only gay in the village- George Doors slow old wagon! :lol:

16. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Don't worry Alex, you'll get better one day i'm sure. :lol:

And a [:$] for gvk.

Anyway i took the clutch off for a look tonight, and i can't really see anything in particular that has caused it to start slipping, i'll post up a couple of pics in a mo, and see if anybody can see anything. ;)

17. GVK

Quality banter [:D]

18. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Have a look at these,
    [​IMG]

see theres a bit of oil but not much, and the clutch was really slipping under hard acceleration.
    Can't really tell if it's coming thro here, but it looks a bit oily.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no signs of oil on the plate, but it seems a bit more worn/damaged on the outer edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have i missed anything obvious then or is it just too much power for the clutch?? [:s]
    Edited by: I V - mk1 16v

19. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

mine struggled on a black diamond clutch in a mk1 box.

looks like oil staining on the flywheel/pressure plate to me,your rocker gasket aint leaking is it? or crankshaft oil seal?

or play in the push rod etc?

i dunno,i dont know wtf im on about tbh [:x]

20. GVK

Ian, you should be able to tell if it's gear oil or engine oil in there - gear oil is much more smelly [xx(]

Does look a bit oily on the disc by the pics, does it look 'shiny' ? Was the centre release plate fitted correctly?

(yep,can see it was by bottom pic)

Free play (cable adjustment ok?) [:s]
    Edited by: GVK