Uprated Headlamp Looms. Who'd like one?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Phil_H, Feb 2, 2007.

1. HoppyGTi

HoppyGTi Forum Member

PM sent

2. s24da Forum Member

hey there phil, where abouts are you to collect from?

3. veedubber Forum Member

could you post up pictures of them once you have built them.... i'm interested in the single headlamp loom.

Thankyou

Stef

4. Phil_H Forum Member

Yeah, as said above I'll discount you on postage for 2.

Pic's will be posted as soon as I have one made up.

Collection from Kings Lynn PE33.

Cheers
    Phil

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  5. timbutjack Forum Member

im interested if you have any left, single or double lamp

6. Phil_H Forum Member

I'll be making them on demand so will always be able to supply one.

7. Gone Elvis New Member

I am interested in one of these for a Mk2 four lamp grill, will let my mates know as well. Interested in seeing the photo. Will confirm how many when they get back to me.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice one. Let me know when you want paying for the 4-lamp ones. The prices look good, and they've got to be better than the standard ones!!

Do we need to cut the wire on the dim-dip resistor with these ones (post 89 cars I think). I'm just curious - my other one passed the MOT no problems without dim dip, although strictly speaking it should probably fail.

Looks like you're gonna be busy, Phil! I hope there's enough margin in it to buy you a few beers ;)

9. Phil_H Forum Member

I'm gonna be very busy! You can just unplug the dim dip, the loom can be removed at any time and the car can be put back to normal, theres a lot of looms out there that require you to cut into the old loom which in my view is not really ideal.

10. gti8v Forum Member

before every one panic buys 4 lamp looms, i had on on my mk2 years ago,
    was made by the bloke who made trimsport ones, once i'd fitted the single loom ie not 4 lamp
    the differece in the inner lamps was amazing so no need really, but is up to you.
    just put 100w in the spots and 80/100 in the main lights...daylight here we come :lol:

11. s24da Forum Member

i understand this point, but looking at my twenty year old wiring for my spots, the thin-ness of it scares me sometimes, sure it's gonna burst into flame on a country lane somewhere. i guess something (i.e. wires) a bit thicker is just more reassuring (sounds dodgy, but you know what i mean), and if you're doing the main lights, for an extra 3 quid...

12. Phil_H Forum Member

I use thinwall cable in my looms as its far superior to the old standard stuff, most modern cars use thin wall now as its lighter and can take higher temperatures etc...

So the looms you get will be just as thin or thinner than the existing loom, but rest asured it is far better and will take a lot more current/heat than the old stuff., to compare the 2 different types the thin wall I use is rated at 25amps where as the equivelent standard cable is 17.5 amps. The cable I use for the power supply from the battery is rated around 35 amps.

A 60w bulb will use about 4.5 to 5.5 Amps, a 100w bulb will use about 7 to 8 amps.

There you go some geeky info for you :)

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

No need for dim dip to pass the MOT, its not a requirement. No need to cut the wires either, follow the wires up over the chassis leg and you'll find a 2 pin plug :)

14. Phil_H Forum Member

A full fitting come will come with the looms, it will explain exactly what to do.

15. Matt G Forum Member

im too skint right now, but pm me next time you make a batch, i will be wanting 4 lamp looms.

cheers dude.

16. OB1

ob1 Forum Member

Hello realise i'm late for this batch but if you decide to make another i'd love a mk2 4light one! bought one on ebay and its rubish both side and headlights come on together!!
    cheers o

17. Phil_H Forum Member

You need to disconnect your dim dip, its down by the side of your o/s(drivers) head light. You'll see a small rectangle shape with some yellow wires coming out, theres a white plug on it...disconnect that.

I'll be making plenty of looms to go round so don't panic.

18. alpinejim

alpinejim Forum Member

Er, H4 main, H3 dip for the Corrado according to ETKA.

I'll take one for the Corrado when you get round to it and also a Mk2 4 lamp at the same time, thanks.

I was thinking of getting some angel eyes for the Corrado, will this make a difference?

Cheers, James.

19. Phil_H Forum Member

Depends on how the angel eyes are wired?

H4 main for Corrado's? I was sure they were different.

20. alpinejim

alpinejim Forum Member

Well, i don't know much about car electrics so i looked in my manual which specified the main headlight as H4 and H3 as the high beam.

Ok, i have just done a bit of research and found angel eyes on a yank site saying they are H7. I think i will do some more investigating and see if i can get a set at Dubfreeze next week and take it from there.

I'll take the Golf 4 lamp for sure and get back to you with the Corrado when i know what i need.