Urgent gotta night shift car won't start :/

Discussion in '8-valve' started by dubsteps, Jan 30, 2013.

1. dubsteps Forum Member

Hi all, my mk2 8v digi 1990 with a 2ltr bottom end is not firing up, it's got a good fuel supply, good spark, new air filter, timing marks are lining up and a new blue sensor, it was running fine, my son decided to play about with the screw on the throttle body the screw that I think adjusts the mixture (it made the car idle slower) I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but now it won't start :(
    I've cleaned up the rotor arm and the dizzy cap. The fuel pump is priming for about 2 seconds and comes on again when I crank the car over... So is there any default setting for that screw or any other suggestions?
    Got two nights shifts and can't get to work without it :cry:

2. mark25 Forum Junkie

Maybe the closed throttle switch on the TB is not working anymore due to the adjustment. You should hear it click if you close the tb slowly by hand. Other than that it may be worth gapping the plugs temporarilly shorter just to get a spark easier. May also be worth listening to the ISV to see if it's buzzing.

3. dubsteps Forum Member

Thank you, yeah my isv is buzzing (its supposed to right?) I got it running yesterday swapped the starter motor as it randomly jammed so had a new one in the shed. Cleaned all the earth's, went to start it last night, doing the same again just turning over not firing up...I'll explore further today...another suggestions very welcome :)

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yep - ISV is supposed to buzz.

Try bridging the fat terminal slots where the fuel pump relay goes in the fuse box and see if that makes it reliable. It's not recommended as a long or even short term fix (it'll flatten your battery, for one thing lol ), but it'll help diagnose the problem.

5. dubsteps Forum Member

What number is the fuel pump relay plz? Not worried about it flattening the battery I always keep two more fully charged ;)

6. mark25 Forum Junkie

It will more likely be relay 53, or whatever number is in position 8 in the fusebox. Take it out, romove the case, and clean it like this, with WD40 impregnated card:

[​IMG]

The important place to clean is between the contacts that come together when you push the arm (with the No2 on it in the photo) towards the coil.

7. dubsteps Forum Member

Done that no change at all, turning over freely, but just not firing, I closed the gap up slightly on the plugs too. Don't understand it it was running yesterday no back to square one, I've been out bought a new rota arm and cleaned all the plugs super clean :(

8. mark25 Forum Junkie

It's sounds like it's not a weak ignition then. Maybe try giving it a slight bit of throttle while cranking, to prevent flooding.

9. dubsteps Forum Member

Yeah I do that been varying the amount, nothing seems to make the slightest difference, like I said when it ran yesterday it ran fine till I switched it off left it, then back to square one again

10. mark25 Forum Junkie

Dissconnect that blue sensor and see if that helps.

11. dubsteps Forum Member

Just tried that made no difference at all. I disconnected the maf someone said it would run (like crap if disconnected?) made no difference either

12. dubsteps Forum Member

One other thing I've been cranking it over all day, my plugs are dry is that normal?

13. mark25 Forum Junkie

No. There was one strange problem on mk2s where the fuel pump didn't run while cranking.... I can't remember the cause...maybe someone else can.

14. mark25 Forum Junkie

Meybe clean the fuel pump relay contacts too, it doesn't cost anything and won't hurt.

15. mark25 Forum Junkie

Relay 167

16. dubsteps Forum Member

Can here the pumps priming and working when I have the key in cranking it over, getting loads of fuel pumping out of the pipe at the injector rail.

17. Admin Guest

does it spark whilst cranking then?

would something like ezistart not help it tickle along to fire up?

18. dubsteps Forum Member

Yeah got brilliant white sparking, I tried easy start it did nothing didn't even attempt :(

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Try getting someone to turn the engine over while you move the fuel rail loom around - could be a bad connection?

Did you try bridging the fuel pump relay, or are you sure the pump is running while it's cranking, as well as priming beforehand?

20. dubsteps Forum Member

I'm sure it running, I put the hose in a petrol can whilst cranking it continued to pump out fuel, I can here the main pump even when cranking, sounds like the timing is out but it ran yesterday so that's not logical :/