Vagcom

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Andy16v, May 15, 2009.

1. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

Bought a VAGCOM cable from ebay with the free version of the ross tech software, installed it using the instructions but it doesnt seem to work. When I click USB and the test button it says interface not found

I've tried using all the ross tech drivers on my pc but nothing works

Im running Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop. Been told to download the latest ross tech software and try that, so I did

Now when I run the program it says port ok but interface not found

Plugged the cable into my mates mk3 and the blue LED lit up fine and the LED test comes back ok but still no joy

Any ideas? Thanks guys

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

3. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

I've tried using 409.1 and also the latest version of VCDS with those new drivers but both get the same error [8(]

Im updating the drivers by going into device manager, selecting the USB driver for the cable and clicking update driver..thats the right way im guessing?

THIS is the cable I've bought form Ebay

Any help would be much appreciated!! :thumbup:

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

Ok got the program to recognise the interface etc and once tested all the settings save.

Only problem is now, once its connected to the car, it tries a few addresses a number of times and then says cant connect to controller... any ideas? [:D]

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Got the ignition on?

What controller you looking for..

6. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

yep tried it with ignition on and car running

trying it on my mates Mk3 golf 1.9 GL diesel

selected the Auto-Scan thing and selected Mk3 and also tried going into the engine control module and the same thing happened

all the boxes stay blank and it tries a few addresses a number of times then says cannot connect to controller

7. madmonkey Forum Addict

Have you tried using the "com port" that the USB lead reports as?

Think mine presents itself as Com4.

Works fine.:thumbup:

8. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

yeah that was my initial problem, wouldnt recognise the interface

mine is on com3 i think :thumbup: so it recognises the interface etc now but cant connect to any controller

9. madmonkey Forum Addict

You selected the correct model of VW? A3 or something iirc (I'm drunk as usual)

10. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

Yeah man, selected the 1H - VW G/J/V MK3 option

Wish i was drunk, sober for the 1st friday in ages...blew all my money on a 1.8t engine arriving monday :lol:

11. madmonkey Forum Addict

Take it the auto scan doesn't come back with owt?

12. Collie Forum Junkie

how old is the car ?is it compatible,? a mate of mine has a seat toleda or something on an x reg and it doesnt comunicate with my lead,even tough i have used it on numerous different cars. in cluding his lupo

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

on the pc you need to go into the serial ports and make sure the cable is on the same com port as the software. the cable is not real usb its a usb pretending to be a serial cable. I would have talked you through it better but Im on my way out until the evening

14. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

Ok bit of an update, I've checked on my Vista laptop which port the usb is connected to and its com4, not 3 like i thought earlier

Using vagcom 409.1 it recognises an interface as it should on com3, but not on com4

and using VCDS it doesnt recognise it on any

tried all the different drivers that came with vagcom on the cd, the rosstech ones i downloaded with VCDS and the file that matt82 gave me on here and still nothing

Been told you need the latest version of VCDS to run on vista which I have but still no joy

The led lights up when connected to the car but cant get VCDS to find an interface, and cant get vagcom to communicate with the controller even though it scans, but with vagcom, it was using com3 and finding an interface...eventhough it was com4 thats mapped to the usb, this could be why it cant communicate to the controller as it thinks whatever com3 is working with is the interface?

Tried all the drivers with all the com ports on VCDS and still no luck!! also tried it in my mates P reg ibiza earlier with the same results

I love computers!! [:$]

15. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Ive been told that vagcom sometimes recognises a modem instead of the actually interface, try disabling the modem which is probably on the com port that vagcom is recognising. If the ports arent matched it will never work. If you think it will work on 3 then change the interface port to 3 then do the same on vagcom

16. craggsy Forum Member

Other people I know have ran laptop in Admin. mode and its worked. Worth a try

17. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

Changed the USB serial port to COM1, and tried using every driver with both vagcom 409.1 and the latest VCDS 805

The furthest I get is "Port: ok, Interface not found!"

[8(]

How do I put the lappy into admin mode?

Cheers Andy

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

that sounds about normal until you then plug it onto the car, with ignition on, make sure its on dumb mode and then test again

19. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Mine sets itself as COMM 4 aswell. When running it on Vista it used to crash a lot. To get it to run without crashing you need to right click on the VAGCOM icon on the desktop then go into properties, advanced settings then click on run as administrator then click apply. Thats what i had to do to run it on my laptop with Vista.

20. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

I've tried running it as an admin and no joy, same thing happens

how do I put it in dumb mode? are you talking about the engine or the program? Im very new to this!! lol

Cheers guys

Last edited: May 19, 2009