VR6 or 2.0 16v

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by mrjoshua, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Mr-GTI Forum Member

Just one last thing[:$]
    Right then, I owned before my VR a 300 BHP impreza (dyno proven) It did at best 22mpg, that was on a long motorway journey from norfolk to devon, driving like your gran would. When I booted it well how deep are your pockets time!
    As an average of a weeks driving of mixed roads last week I averaged 26mpg, thats worked out on litres used not the MFA. That included a couple of pretty hard blats. Motorway driving at 80 still returns over 32+ mpg
    Any way the fuel economy doesn't bother me so why should it bother you, you don't have to fill up my car:lol:

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

youre right about that. if you dont mind the fuel cost, the VR wins hands down for sound and basically a more powerful flexible engine.

for me personally, cos i am filling my tank, i couldnt justify the cost. i do drive for fun, the long way home all the time etc if i had a vr6 and drove those miles, i would be very very broke lol

3. ViCk Forum Member

You should buy an Mk3 8v with an LPG conversion and forget all about fuel costs !

4. NormanCoal Forum Member

You are having a giraffe mate - there is a guy on here who drives a VR with a lowered FD and hammers it everywhere, and doesnt get lower than 23-24

And hammering a valver doesnt get the returns on fuel that are night and day different in my experience

Everyone here can read that you are biased towards the valver and wont hear of any good things about the VR apart from the noise, and that is fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Others are entitaled to there also, so just leave it there :)

5. Collie Forum Junkie

love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

6. stew72 Forum Member

:clap:

tbh a 16v can be economical, but to achieve this you won't be able to use the top end of the rev range and this is what the engine thrieve on. So you might as well just buy an 8v :lol:

7. dubst16v Forum Member

if u want economy buy a diesel i say

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

or be "green" and buy a Prius.

9. NormanCoal Forum Member

You have as economical as a Prius and not have a ugly car, or something that costs as much to buy!

10. Jeff Forum Junkie

what I want to know is:

is owning a 16v worth the poor performance for the relatively small increase in fuel economy? [:D]

11. suttonval Forum Member

:clap: love it. Ahhhh well, i love my valver. Be it slow its better than using public transport!

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bham to home... 180 miles.... 39.8mpg hee hee

not even in your wildest dreams VR6ers :p

13. Mr-GTI Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :clap:

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

So does this mean you are getting 400mile a tank due to what your instantaneous mpg gauge saying?
    Try filling your tank, zero your ODO and see how much miles you get out of your tank of X gallons. This is the correct way.
    Still there is no replacement for displacement buddy. 170 lbft@3500 and 181lbft@4000ish will be hard to beat in any street driven fuel friendly N/A 2.0 16 or 8v motor. If you can name a 2.0 N/A motor that must idle at 700r/min rev to 6900r/min put out this type of torque between this range, pass emissions at 0.2% CO, overtake cars without changing gears, cruise with low engine rpm/db and deliver an assumed 35ish indicated mpg as well the noise when the throttle is poked then I would say a VR6 engined MK3 is a load of dung.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  15. Punj New Member

Well having driven both the VR6 and i Currently own a valver, in my opinion they are 2 totally different animals, fuel costs are not everything at the end of the day, if you can afford it gor for the VR.... but the 16v is just as fun...[:D]

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Well I used about 65 worth of SUL yesterday:lol: Beat that!

I was driving flat knacker around Silverstone GP circuit tho.

17. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

96 posts and no-ones said get a mk2 16v instead, i'm impressed :lol:

18. Chris_D New Member

Not at all mate, what a load of tosh - sounds like you have never driven one. Actualluy you sound threatened that you drive a humble 16V (nice car) however anyday of the week - the VR6 is a far better car - end of mate - Get on average 28 - 30mpg. I also have a 207 BHP jabba tuned mk4 GTI-T - Which will only return 23 MPG.

19. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

I think we valver drivers will say the valver is better and the VR drivers will stick up for their own. I know what I think BUT these threads get boring, It was a simple question but has turn into either **** of each others cars/comments. Whoever started the thread probably didnt want all this, but simple answers and people opinions but it is turning into my car is better than your car etc !

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

on the last tank, i did a quarter of it on the hatton meet, then the trip home. drove around this weekend, normal town driving.

i brimmed it this noon on my way back to bham, 35 litres had done 280 miles. according to my phone that was 36mpg. not sure what MFA had averaged it at, i didnt check before reset it.

thats how i do it all the time.

so it costs me very little to run and is nearly as quick as a vr6, in some cases its quicker.

it doesnt have the same delivery as a vr6 low down, but you mention a 6900rpm rev limit... where does yours actually make max power? 6900 seems high for a vr